Turn on thread page Beta

Draft Treaty: Dealing with Piracy watch

ReputationRep:
    [OOC]Are we allowed to post articles here, I just found one on the BBC which might be interesting[OOC]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc246)
    [OOC]Are we allowed to post articles here, I just found one on the BBC which might be interesting[OOC]
    [OOC]Go for it Either in OOC tags or "The Portuguese Republic is dismayed by the following news.." or something.[/OOC]

ReputationRep:
    Generally any missiles that can travel an average of 50-100 kilometers are sufficient in dealing with Pirates. This is approximately a quarter width of the Red Sea and any missiles which can travel further pose dangers to coastal states. The Republic of Turkey would like to repeat that longer-ranged missiles are not necessary to deal with pirates, therefore, possessing them would only do more damage than good.

ReputationRep:
    The Republic of Turkey would like to ask Portugal why it has decided against signing the treaty.

ReputationRep:
    Well the Portuguese Republic feels it is not a long term solution and feels a better way would be something like this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8171922.stm

[OOC]I hope Portugal actually take part in this in real life lol, I'm still trying to get to grips with their stance on things[OOC]

ReputationRep:
    Concerning Article I, Brazil feels that the language is very vague. For example, which countries would be classified as "developed". What sort of "aid" are we talking about?

Regarding Article II, what would be "severe punishment"? Perhaps the representative for Tuekey can elaborate?

ReputationRep:
    The Republic of Turkey would firstly like to thank Brazil for its input.
    Regarding Article I: The line dividing More Economically Developed Countries from Less Economically Developed Countries is very thin, yet there are still ways in which development can be measured: such as looking at the GNP (Gross National Product) per person. Basically, nations with the ability to offer aid should. By aid, the delegate for The Republic of Turkey meant financial and, if requested, military. This is a good point. The amendment will be made.
    Regarding Article II: The ICJ (International Court of Justice) has the ability to judge situations and offer the nations its opinion on how the situation should be resolved. It can suggest establishing sanctions on nations through the UN, which is one of the more severe actions. Should I include this, do you think???

ReputationRep:
    The Republic of Turkey understands Portugal's thoughts after reading the article and wonders whether we can incorporate this into the treaty as another option. Perhaps placing it in Article I? What do other nations think about this?

ReputationRep:
    The Secretary General understands the concerns of the Portugese representative. Perhaps he would like to encourage other reps, especially from the EU, to send training forces to Somalia, as part of a separate Plan of Action. Perhaps Portugal and Turkey would like to discuss this together?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the Portuguese Republic think that is a good idea and would be happy to.

ReputationRep:
    The Secretary General is very happy to hear this

ReputationRep:
    Sec. General, there are already UN peacekeepers in Somalia. But, they do not seem to be doing anything. Nigeria would suggest transferring them and Nigeria will try and convice the African Union to send more training forces to Somalia.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the Nigerian delegation could raise support for this idea while the Portuguese delegation encourages sending, not peacekeepers, but military and police trainers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taigan)
    Regarding Article II: The ICJ (International Court of Justice) has the ability to judge situations and offer the nations its opinion on how the situation should be resolved. It can suggest establishing sanctions on nations through the UN, which is one of the more severe actions. Should I include this, do you think???
    Actually, upon re-reading the article, I don't there's a need but if you want to, then by all means add it.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good Sec.Gen.
    Portuguese rep. would you side with me in raising support for sending military and police trainers instead of peacekeepers?

ReputationRep:
    The Portuguese Republic apologises for any confusion, we did mean training of military and police forces.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 1, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.