Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ...well actually, years ago an ex-boyfriend I'd been living with threw them out without my knowledge.

I'm 23 now, mature student yada yada...I'm going to Greenwich in September to do Creative Writing BA H. I now understand there is a registration process.

I have no money so I cannot afford the greedy, extortionate £100-£200 fee charged by examining boards for replacing lost certificates.

I just rang the Uni and got through to someone who I don't think could fully understand english. I asked her if I could just get a headed letter of confirmation from my old secondary school as proof instead and I think all she said was I "need to contact the exam boards".

I've looked through some old threads on here on the same matter and noticed a lot of students have said they weren't asked to produce any results by their Uni.

Would it be advisable for me to just show up to registration with my ID, FE qualifications and hope that they don't ask to see the GCSE certificates? If they asked, could I just explain my situation and expect to be trusted as an honest human being?

I know in a year or two I could have slowly put some money aside to pay for the replacements but right now I really can't pay out that kind of money for some bits of paper. I am thinking of doing a PGCE after I graduate and I think GCSEs are a definite requirement for that but I'm not sure I'd need to display the certificates then either. Is there a time limit on how long the examining boards hold results for?

Cheers in advance

It is more than likely you will need to have some proof of your qualifications to register. If you get your old school / college to write a letter confirming the results then that would usually suffice.

The exam boards hold the results for good - no time limit - so you can get the replacement certificates at any point in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a PGCE in September and you DEFINITELY need to show them your GCSE certificates.. my uni was very hot on it.

Pass on the invoice for the certificates to your ex-boyfriend?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies guys. @WhereIsMyMind - I've got more chance of overthrowing Robert Mugabe than my ex paying money he owes me.

I'm gonna ring my old school in a min. Hands clasped!

Out of interest, does anyone know what Unis do if students fail to hand over proof of qualifications? I mean does anyone have a friend that that's happened to?

ReputationRep:
    As long as someone at your secondary school would confirm it if asked, I think you'll be fine. Explain that financial problems have stopped you buying the certificate s yet, but you will do if its necessary. You'll be fine, I'm sure!

ReputationRep:
    OCR charge £32 per certificate. That's what I've just found. Now to check the others.

ReputationRep:
    So I've looked, AQA will charge £35.90 for a real certificate, or £17.95 for a confirmation of results to be sent directly to your university. Apparently you need to prove they were stolen or destroyed. So I'm not sure what you'd do there in your situation.

Edexcel charge £35 for a certificate.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand why on earth they need to charge so much. It's pathetic really. Greedy, selfish scum like that shouldn't be responsible for peoples' futures.

I rang the school and no answer. As luck would have it, it's the last day of term. I sent them an e-mail. I hope I don't have to wait too long for a response.

ReputationRep:
    I was never asked to show my gcse or alevel results at my uni. All i had to show was ID as ucas gives them the results. I had to show gcse's for FE though, maybe the uni just take the colleges word for it. If ucas says you're accepted, i wouldn't bother worrying about it. Just turn up and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't lose mine, just never collected them, always used the results slip not the certificates. Anyways as 3 years went buy i needed my English one for UNI (Visa Application) So i went to my Ministry of Education and it only took 2days for them to find it. By using my Name, school, year i did the exam.

Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's one reason not to have a boyfriend when your doing your GCSEs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    So I've looked, AQA will charge £35.90 for a real certificate, or £17.95 for a confirmation of results to be sent directly to your university. Apparently you need to prove they were stolen or destroyed. So I'm not sure what you'd do there in your situation.

Edexcel charge £35 for a certificate.
    sorry but how are you supposed to prove that your results were distroyed? you can just imagine someone turning up with a pile of ash saying here you are, my results were burnt, this is my proof! :hahaha:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwendii_2)
    sorry but how are you supposed to prove that your results were distroyed? you can just imagine someone turning up with a pile of ash saying here you are, my results were burnt, this is my proof! :hahaha:
    well it says through insurance etc.
    so you can prove your house burnt down if you have an insurance claim.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.