Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Obese 'should be given swine flu vaccine first' Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ine-first.html

i completly disagree. obese people should not be given preferntial treatment over people who bother to look after themselves.

they should be allowed to die

i'm a fit, healthy, well-educated young male who has a good future just like many people my age. we are the people who are going to be running the country in years to come, but we are not all immune to this disease. the government should make sure that useful, hard-working people like us shouldn't be delayed in getting a potentially life-saving vaccine, rather than some useless, thick, obese binge drinkers who already drain the government through the benefits system.

if you agree with the newspaper article, please say why. we don't need these obese people anyway, as they already put a huge strain on the NHS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chipchop92)

i completly disagree. obese people should not be given preferntial treatment over people who bother to look after themselves.

i'm a fit, healthy, well-educated young male who has a good future just like many people my age. we are the people who are going to be running the country in years to come, but we are not all immune to this disease. the government should make sure that useful, hard-working people like us shouldn't be delayed in getting a potentially life-saving vaccine, rather than some useless, thick, obese binge drinkers who already drain the government through the benefits system.

if you agree with the newspaper article, please say why. we don't need these obese people anyway, as they already put a huge strain on the NHS.
    1. This thread's already been done, please use the search function.

2. They're not the only ones to get it first, they're just one of many risk factors, including asthmatics, diabetics, etc.

3. Obesity is not always self inflicted, in fact in the morbidly obese there's very often a medical cause beyond their complete control.

4. Your disregard for people is not nice.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2:
    I feel like I've seen this thread at least twenty times, in different forms.

ReputationRep:
    Well if any of tsr posts are to go by.. most guys on here think anything over a size 10 is fat so we better stock up on vaccinations!!

ReputationRep:
    what makes you think obese people can't be useful to the country ? Unless you running very fast will make the country better.

ReputationRep:
    Can't we just have a good old fashioned cull?

ReputationRep:

i agree with you, why should we fight to help the fat people survive, but neglect to help the fit people who look after their own health

ReputationRep:

Just for this post, you shouldn't be given the vaccine.

ReputationRep:
    Only 10% of people are obese through means out of their control, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Most healthy people would most likely not need this vaccine and it would be a waste of money to give it to them. Healthy people are likely to recover from swine flu in less than 1 week. If it is a different case for obese people, then of course they should have the vaccine first. I don't understand your problem. You get the vaccine, you live... You get swine flu, you're still likely to live. Did you just feel like ranting to a load of people who don't care about your narrow minded opinion?

ReputationRep:
    So even though you're "fit and healthy", seems to me like you're a bit scared of swine flu! Don't want those fatties getting the vaccine before you do you :mad:

Man up "future leader of the country".

ReputationRep:
    This could potentially make an excellent tv show: "Britain's got swine flu" - contestants must enter in to a talent competition to discover who has got the skills we will need in the post-swine flu world, and Simon Cowell decides who deserves to get the vaccine.

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of chubby funsters in politics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    Well if any of tsr posts are to go by.. most guys on here think anything over a size 10 is fat so we better stock up on vaccinations!!
    Hahahaha love it :P will rep tomorrow (if i remember:P)

ReputationRep:
    1) Fat people still usually have input to the country too.
    2) The article doesn't agree or disagree with the advice, so you wouldn't being 'agreeing' with the article, you would be agreeing with the expert.
    3) I understand your disgust at fat people's lifestyle, I appreciate that to some degree, but everybody has their flaws and i'm sure you are not without any so 'they should be allowed to die' is way overstepping it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    1. This thread's already been done, please use the search function.

2. They're not the only ones to get it first, they're just one of many risk factors, including asthmatics, diabetics, etc.

3. Obesity is not always self inflicted, in fact in the morbidly obese there's very often a medical cause beyond their complete control.

4. Your disregard for people is not nice.
    Id say 'very often' is a huge overstatement, more like <1% of those who are obese are there through medical conditions.

For the rest of those groups, there is actually nothing you can do about being asthmatic, over weight on the other hand can be changed through pretty simple changes.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to know why this may be, it's because: increased levels of fat in the body = increased level of the hormone lepsin (I think that's what it's called) which causes inflammation. This hormone usually helps to trigger the immune system, but because obese people have a raised amount of it already, the body takes longer to respond to the virus.
    According to an article in the NewScientist, that is.

ReputationRep:

Ugh. Fantastic argument there. Moving on ... as I said in a previous thread, there are MANY people, who are overweight as a result of health conditions beyond their control e.g. polycystic ovaries/thyroid problems. Just because you're overweight, doesn't mean you don't look after yourself, future Prime Minister.

wallflower*: sounds like something ITV2 would buy into, for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    Only 10% of people are obese through means out of their control, in my opinion.
    In your opinion? So tell me 'TheMeister' how you came up with such an intelligent calculation? :lolwut:

Many this vaccine is a "death vaccine" in disguise to kill the obese? :rolleyes:

They may give the good vaccines to the cancerous, elderly etc, but give the bad vaccines to the obese? Case solved.

/sarcasm

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.