Turn on thread page Beta

General Election 2010 - Who would you vote for? watch

• View Poll Results: General Election 2010 - Who would you vote for?
    Conservative
    28.17%
    Labour
    20.43%
    Liberal Democrat
    23.22%
    Green
    6.81%
    UKIP
    5.26%
    BNP
    3.72%
    Libertarian
    5.26%
    Respect
    0.62%
    SNP
    1.86%
    DUP
    0.31%
    Sinn Fein
    1.24%
    Plaid Cymru
    0.31%
    SDLP
    0.31%
    UUP
    0%
    Health Concern
    0.31%
    Independant/Other
    2.17%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syke)
    I'd like to vote Greens but it wouldn't make a difference, so instead I'd probably vote Labour - y'know, keep them hanging in there and all that
    That's what so many people say, but if we all vote Green, it will make a difference .

(Original post by Syke)
    I'd like to vote Greens but it wouldn't make a difference, so instead I'd probably vote Labour - y'know, keep them hanging in there and all that
    Vote with your heart, its the only way that this shoddy system will change - if enough people stand up and vote for parties that aren't simply lib/lab/con.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camden Town)
    That's what so many people say, but if we all vote Green, it will make a difference .
    Now all you have to do is tell that to everybody who would vote Green in the country somehow. I suggest a very loud megaphone

I feel more inspired now, have a pat on the back guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Labour. I would vote Lib Dems but since it's a tightly run two horse race, any vote for Clegg instead of Brown is practically a vote for Cameron.
    this is the sad democracy in which we live, where fear of a tory win makes people vote against their principles.

Id vote Lib Dem, we need PR

ReputationRep:
    Woop! Lets celebrate - Labour is in 3rd... just.

ReputationRep:
    Lib Dem. With labour in crises, it's a real window of opportunity to make moves towards becoming the opposition party.

Unfortunately, we all know Conservatives are going to win next election, despite knowing that they won't be that much better than the current labour Government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stomm)
    I don't think that many people in the country understand just how stupid statements like that really are...
    Well, time will prove one of us right

ReputationRep:
    Libertarian, for a great justice!

No, seriously. I hate poor people. I think we need a lot less of them. So how's about we stop taxing them, kay? It's insane that someone working full time on the minimum wage has to pay income tax!

• Abolish income tax.
    • Further devolution of power
    • Legalise drugs
    • Free Banking
    • Foreign policy of non-intervention and neutrality
    What more do you want?

(Original post by sconzey)
    What more do you want?
    To leave the EU and embrace free trade? :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    To leave the EU and embrace free trade? :puppyeyes:
    Awww, well... if you insist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    Well, time will prove one of us right

Well, I suppose so. As by being in power now when things are, well crap economically, and with an election looming soon you can be pretty sure that the Conservatives will get in so that they can **** things up and make them ten times worse than they need be, just like every other time they have been in power during a recession. In fact, they're even proposing to use the same failed policies that were used by them in '82, '87 and '92...

So yes, it is Labour's fault that the Conservatives will be able to muck things up for the next five years. And the damage that Brown did in not going to the polls when he came in, and therefore if he lost doing so by a slim enough margin that would allow the Tories to yet again tear themselves apart over Europe, and therefore hopefully reducing the damage that they'd do to only three or four years worth...

PS, yes the grammar is appalling, but well its time for bed and I can't be arsed to proof-read a post just before I hit the sack...

ReputationRep:
    Ukip.

ReputationRep:
    May I suggest the OP for next time. that he add an "Apathetic" option?
    It gives us an idea of people who simply don't give a **** :yep:
    I voted for an independent person anyway; simply because the MP would not have to be restricted to the Party whip or a Party in general. The Independent, chosen by the people will represent an ideology that is reflective of the the constituency and therefore the questions and answers in which the constituency asked, will be properly dealt with; not as a matter of macroed responses.

I'm going to pick off two things from here...
    Libertarian, for a great justice!

No, seriously. I hate poor people. I think we need a lot less of them. So how's about we stop taxing them, kay? It's insane that someone working full time on the minimum wage has to pay income tax!
    What kind of statement is this? Hate poor people? No taxation will not make them better off; it will make them worse off. In fact, arguably 70% of the population would be worse off. Why you may ponder? The costs of a free market in the non subsidised cost of necessaries will mean people cannot pay for those £5-50k operations. Will not be able to go to a doctor without dishing out a few hundred bob and Other things like food (such as local milk) will inevitably increase in price.
    Also, there will be no national defence with no income. This is dangerous...and a paradox to your paradise (if you'd call it one?)

Abolish income tax.
    Great - Now every university will charge £20k a year, every Primary and Secondary will charge £10k a year. There will be a fall in literacy rates and people will not be able to afford it. It will widen the gap between the rich and the poor; i.e. more poor. And it won't be because they're lazy (and thus their fault) but rather because they had no opportunity. It leaves a question: Are people naturally lucky? The answer is no.

ReputationRep:
    Labour, because, as idealistic as this sounds, I want to feel as thought I've contributed a small amount to the cause of keeping the horrid Tories out.

ReputationRep:
    Pro tory.

(Original post by Stricof)
    Great - Now every university will charge £20k a year, every Primary and Secondary will charge £10k a year. There will be a fall in literacy rates and people will not be able to afford it. It will widen the gap between the rich and the poor; i.e. more poor. And it won't be because they're lazy (and thus their fault) but rather because they had no opportunity. It leaves a question: Are people naturally lucky? The answer is no.
    I don't understand why you've interpreted scrapping income tax as meaning we should abolish all state schooling. I think you've gone a little over the top in your example.

Libertarians oppose war, ID cards, wasting polce resources on drugs and prostitution, excessive levels of social welfare - these are all areas where we would make money back. There would be no need to resort to abolishing state schooling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    I don't understand why you've interpreted scrapping income tax as meaning we should abolish all state schooling. I think you've gone a little over the top in your example.

Libertarians oppose war, ID cards, wasting polce resources on drugs and prostitution, excessive levels of social welfare - these are all areas where we would make money back. There would be no need to resort to abolishing state schooling.
    Given, I do go over the top sometimes.
    Haha I never said scrap state schools. But you know, there wouldn't be enough funding for the state school to remain subsidised.
    I mean...Zero income tax is disastrous. Low tax, fine...I'll agree to disagree. Everyone has their own opinion. BUT zero income tax is not workable.

(Original post by Stricof)
    Given, I do go over the top sometimes.
    Haha I never said scrap state schools. But you know, there wouldn't be enough funding for the state school to remain subsidised.
    I mean...Zero income tax is disastrous. Low tax, fine...I'll agree to disagree. Everyone has their own opinion. BUT zero income tax is not workable.
    You are aware that there are other forms of taxation, right?

But I actually agree that the libertarian party is too quick to talk about lowering taxes, cut spending etc and I believe this is why we achieved just 36 votes in Norwich. Nobody wants to hear that spending is being cut.

Instead we need to be putting emphasis on opposing the war, the EU and the 'big brother' state - we need to be voicing our opinions on legalising drugs and free trade etc, I think that would obtain more than 36 votes personally.

ReputationRep:
    Lib Dems, we need proportional representation, to stop executive dominance. Although, there isn't even much difference between the three parties now because they are all trying to become 'catch all parties', main difference being in regard to the state. So it partly comes down to if you support having a 'welfare state' or you're more inclined to agree with a privately owned state.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly if Conservatives are winning the vote HERE, they would win every age group!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.