Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    I think part of the problem is that I've changed since I've been away but they've all stayed the same. Its like we've been sucked into a time warp and its this time last year! The same jokes, the same chat and they still have the view of me despite the fact that I've become a lot more secure in myself through the year and have become a lot more mellow person. When I'm with them I don't feel like I can be the happy person I am with my friends in Glasgow, it feels like I have to squeeze back into the person I was a year ago.
    Oh. It kinda sounds like you need new friends then. Can't you meet up with uni friends in the summer holidays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    Erm ... It could be possible that your ex is at the centre of this circle of friends and that none of the other friends want to upset him, so they do the things that they think he will agree with, for fear of argument. Also (sorry if this sounds harsh, not intended) were they his friends initially? Did he introduce them to you? If so, maybe they were just being nice to you because of him?
    Well one of them was originally my friend, we were so so close. Literally spending hours on the phone chatting, he was my big brother of sorts

The others, well they would have been his friends first, but..I don't think they'd actively choose him over me, I think it's just happening. We were all very close, but I feel like I'm being excluded for not fitting into the formula of being "his girlfriend"

ReputationRep:
    I agree with that. The same thing happened to my sister. Boys.

ReputationRep:
    But they're all guys, like your ex. They probably feel like they can't do stuff with both of you because they don't want you and his new girlfriend to clash Guys can be like that. Mabe you should try just staying close with one of your friends and see if theykeep you involved, rather than trying to be in touch with all of them. Maybe that would eb easier? But I don't know... they are allowed to accept your ex's new mrs so I really don't think you should be bitter about that. If you are a little hurt by her being there or whatever, why not talk to one of them and see what he says about how you feel then? You might find out why they're not asking how you feel about situations. Sorry if that's not terribly helpful, but I think it's what I'd do.

ReputationRep:
    When I saw the thread title, I thought you were going to say 'am I gay'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatal)
    Well one of them was originally my friend, we were so so close. Literally spending hours on the phone chatting, he was my big brother of sorts

The others, well they would have been his friends first, but..I don't think they'd actively choose him over me, I think it's just happening. We were all very close, but I feel like I'm being excluded for not fitting into the formula of being "his girlfriend"
    Yeh I'm thinking that they find it a lot easier to accept a girlfriend among their circle rather than just a girl. (Not meaning to make you sound inferior - just that it's harder to accept you as a friend rather than x's girlfriend).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Oh. It kinda sounds like you need new friends then. Can't you meet up with uni friends in the summer holidays?
    Well I met up with the ones who live in this country for a four day weekend a few weeks ago, honestly can say it was like a breath of fresh air, the most fun I've had all summer! But they are busy for the rest of the summer and I don't have the money to be travelling about to see people, especially to Glasgow.I think some of the Glaswegians might be coming over but thats still up in the air...

ReputationRep:
    Some of negativity in this thread and the replies.

Anyways OP, I understand how it feels that somethings going on that has turned your friends against you, or whatever.

And with the EX bringing his new gf to your party, fair do. But not even saying a word to you and introducing her is pretty dickish of him.

Anyways, it looks like you current mates aren't into you like before. Move on. If not, try to speak to them about how you feel. If they're still being *******s, hit the road and find better friends! You don't need heartache from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    I agree with that. The same thing happened to my sister. Boys.
    How did your sister deal with it?

ReputationRep:
    Well, basically, all of her ex boyfriends friends (who she'd met through him) didn't want to upset her ex boyfriend, when he decided to act like a child because he wasn't the centre of attention. But my sister knew this, so she just hung out with her other friends, and then sometimes met up with some of the friends from the old group, not inviting the ex-bf because he was still being immature. They eventually realised it was okay not to pussy-foot around the ex-bf, and know they're better friends with her, than they are with him. He's still the one crying about it. They also started talking to her about what they didn't like about him ... strange.

If they're going to treat you this way, because you're not his girlfriend anymore, then rise above it and hang out with some other people, you don't have to put up with being treated badly by them because you used to be friends. They're not worth it. This is the attitude my sister took/takes and it seemed to work out pretty well for her.

Hope things work out for you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.