Turn on thread page Beta

A quick word about the BNP watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    and i think it is true, the general gist of all the BNP polocies i have read are about reducing taxes and increasing spending

Perhaps, but they are also about becoming self-sufficent wherever possible.

ReputationRep:
    Lets say a thing about politics first.

Its all pointless. Any party that makes promises and come into power will find their promises are economically/morally/socially unviable. Think about how a country run under Labour and Torry would be different....not very...so at the end of the day, theres no point to having so many parties.

Down to BNP, if they ever, ever, ever somehow came to power, the things they say about "not letting muslims fly" would never fly itself. Just like any other party policy, its not viable, it wouldnt work.

We really do have nothing to worry about

ReputationRep:
    I have to say it is a shame you are blinded by your love of the BNP. God forbid they will never come to power and you can find a time machine and live in 1937 Germany.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
    It was on their site under the "is the BNP racist" bit that they did, it's now disappeared or I can't find it. Either way, they have said they do in the past and haven't announced any U-turns on this.

Besides, the fact that they would run this country into the ground is a greater reason not to support them.
    That's your opinion, not a fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Example?

It is often the case in poorer nations that cultural growth far outstrips that in developed nations. Religion for instance is normally alot more widespread and has a greater influence on peoples lives. Wasn't cultural religion something you named as being a traditional element in society?
    Most of Africa would be a good example. Cultural differences within these countries lead to warfare between rival groups, there is no clear decisive over-ruling society with a stable culture to which they can identify.

Before it got weakened by the liberal elite,cultural Christianity was a successful cultural element of British life. It wasn't extreme enough to warrant domination of lifestle, but it was secure enough to glue together British morality and a lot of the legal system. Extreme religious thought doesn't necessarily mean extreme cultural benefit.

(Original post by Aeolus)
    What is your definition of third world and second world?
    By looking to define these things, you are evading the point that they make- not all cultures and countries are equally prosperous and worthy of respect.

We both know it is difficult to give definitions to these things, but it doesn't mean that they don't exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star_5)
    That's your opinion, not a fact.
    Not just their opinion, but the opinion of whoever is morally right in this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chigz32)
    Not just their opinion, but the opinion of whoever is morally right in this country.
    :rolleyes:
    This is also your opinion, as you're trying to state as a fact that all of the BNP's supporters are immoral.

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by Hanvyj
    and i think it is true, the general gist of all the BNP polocies i have read are about reducing taxes and increasing spending

Perhaps, but they are also about becoming self-sufficent wherever possible.
    perhaps? perhaps?? Dont you think the major part of the goverments responsibility is to run the country, how can you think they do this if you think they will be spending more than they can afford???

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:
    This is also your opinion, as you're trying to state as a fact that all of the BNP's supporters are immoral.
    Ah, lets define our morals first? I just thought thats a dang hard thing to do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    perhaps? perhaps?? Dont you think the major part of the goverments responsibility is to run the country, how can you think they do this if you think they will be spending more than they can afford???
    I don't think they are spending more than they can afford though. Under their policies there would be short term financial deficit, a period of economic stability, and then economic benefit and as close to self-sufficency as can be possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    Most of Africa would be a good example. Cultural differences within these countries lead to warfare between rival groups, there is no clear decisive over-ruling society with a stable culture to which they can identify.
    But you are ignoring the fact that Africa has thousands of very different and very rich cultures, not to mention hundreds of languages. If anything Africa is a cultural behemoth compared to us. You seem to advocate one over-ruling culture? How boring... you would want a nation of machines where diversity doesn't exist.. oh wait your a BNP supporter of course you do.

By looking to define these things, you are evading the point that they make- not all cultures and countries are equally prosperous and worthy of respect.

We both know it is difficult to give definitions to these things, but it doesn't mean that they don't exist.

By throwing around terms like third world and second world without even being aware of the meaning you have destroyed most of your own arguments. The economic prosperity of a nation is not related to the richness of it's culture.

Iraq recently would have been described as a third world country, are you seriously suggesting that a culture which evolved along the banks of the Euphrates and the Tigris is inferior to our own and warrants the term third or second world culture?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, lets define our morals first? I just thought thats a dang hard thing to do...
    Yes, defining one's morals is a very hard thing to do, so you can't state as a fact that all or any of the BNP's supporters are immoral...but you also can't state as a fact that all or any of their supporters are moral...:confused:

:rolleyes: lol ignore me, I'm just being annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, defining one's morals is a very hard thing to do, so you can't state as a fact that all or any of the BNP's supporters are immoral...but you also can't state as a fact that all or any of their supporters are moral...:confused:

:rolleyes: lol ignore me, I'm just being annoying.
    lmao, its true though, whats wrong or whats right? is law right? religion?

no, im right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chpz)
    You have a point there. It is probably because the west is the only place worth moving to find a better life. People don't move from a war torn, poverty stricken country to Zimbabwe do they? No, because that is not progress. However, it isn't only the west, my favourite examples are Singapore (one of the most multicultural places on the earth) and Dubai.
    Yes. I'm not really disputing the fact that economic improvements are contributing towards this. However, I do find the condemnation of people who are opposed to such changes - under the facade of "tackling racism" - as quite absurd. Just because something appears to be an intellectual trend, it doesn't mean there shouldn't be opponents to it. You wouldn't say that because Nazi imposition on culture during the 1930s was a "trend" that there shouldn't have been resistance.

ReputationRep:
    lmao, its true though, whats wrong or whats right? is law right? religion?

no, im right
    No, im right
    Yeah and that's fact, not opinion

...Well it's a fact in my opinion...:yes:

ReputationRep:
    No, im right
    Yeah and that's fact, not opinion

...Well it's a fact in my opinion...:yes:
    But its not my opinion...does that make it right?

Oh the fun never ends....!

ReputationRep:
    But its not my opinion...does that make it right?

Oh the fun never ends....!
    It's a fact in my opinion, and since I said I was right, then that makes my opinions right, so it is a fact in my opinion and my opinion is always right so it is a fact.

lol :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It's a fact in my opinion, and since I said I was right, then that makes my opinions right, so it is a fact in my opinion and my opinion is always right so it is a fact.

lol :confused:
    Yes, but I said I wwas right before you said you were right, so numerically, I'm number 1 and you're number 2, however, if we go by the popular childrens rhyme, first the worst and second the best....

im too tired to care :P I saw pendulum last night, as a side note to this BNP thread...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I said I wwas right before you said you were right, so numerically, I'm number 1 and you're number 2, however, if we go by the popular childrens rhyme, first the worst and second the best....

im too tired to care :P I saw pendulum last night, as a side note to this BNP thread...
    lol kk we'll leave it at that then...

but you know I'm right

ReputationRep:
    I come from an area with quite large Asian and Polish communities (iirc it's the highest % Polish community outside of London). I think a lot of the BNP fearmongering over the destruction of British culture is unfounded. Sure, I know a number of people in my area who are prejudiced against white people. Other people who may or may not be, but basically refuse to learn English and don't integrate outside of their own ethnic community. But these are invariably - and I mean invariably - people who've moved over here from their country of origin, but grew up elsewhere. The future of these communities - the children of these people, the ones who were born over here and are growing up over here - almost invariably are totally integrated into the culture. This is the point; the BNP claim that British culture will be eroded as more and more people of non-British ethnicity live in the country, but the majority of this increasingly diverse ethnic population will have grown up in Britain, and won't face the same culture divide that those who've immigrated after growing up elsewhere face, because this is the culture they're used to.

Another argument I think I saw was the erosion of Christianity as a unifying force in British culture, due to the influx of other religions. This has little to do with people who aren't ethnically British. A rapidly increasing number of people living in this country are atheist or agnostic; views that conflict with both Christianity and other religion bought to this country by people from other cultures. Besides which, the weakening of Christianities hold could be seen as a good thing in some respects. Not to start a religious debate, but considering some of the things that have been justified by it, and it's sometimes (not always; credit where credit's due) outdated ideas. As it weakens, we can make laws based on common sense rather than 2000 year old junk.

NB: Ignore the religious rant. I have no problems with religion, or what people believe in. It's when it's used to justify some of the most morally despicable acts ever seen that I have a problem with it. As someone once said; "I have no problems with Jesus, it's his fanclub I can't stand".

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.