Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by Hanvyj
    im sorry, but anyone who has grown up as a part of our culture, is IN our culture and IS BRITISH
    Would you consider someone who lives detached from Western society in Islamic/Hindu/Sikh/Afro-Caribbean "ghettoes", who wear burkhas, don't speak English, and don't work as British?
    clearly that person is not integrated into our society, however, their children will be. They would have grown up in british schools. I see burkhas every day, i consider it quite normal lol

don't work as British?
    Personally i find it quite hard to talk to ppl in some of the segregated white coucill estates, near where i used to live as a child, in english. My mum is a teacher in a school on an estate, the majority of the girls there's only ambitions is to have kids so they can get higher benefits like their moms... "work as British?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    So, you, with your ancestory of saxon imigration must leave the country to preserve the british culture?
    To be completely accurate, this isn't the case. It's recently been shown that the Anglo-Saxon peoples only contributed to 5% of the ethnic gene pool. So, effectively no person who can trace their roots back to around 500AD has an "ancestory [sic] of saxon imigration [sic]". It's actually been shown that there was a greater input to the gene pool by Scandinavians than Anglo-Saxons.

ReputationRep:
    So, you, with your ancestory of saxon imigration must leave the country to preserve the british culture?
    No. As shown by the definition of indigenous Briton I gave, they are included within the ethnic British group and have shaped and contributed to the culture which I am fighting to preserve.

I grew up in keighley, bradford, in this place there is a high (i belive it to be 15%) muslim population, and there is a some segregation of the comunities here and personally i have never thought it that much of a problem. Currently i live in rusholme, manchester; again, when i walk arround i see mostly people with a different skin color to mine... again i dont really see a problem, are you scared of people with a different skin colour?
    A 15% Muslim population is nothing to the scale on which I am talking. Massive demographic shifts combined with ghetto's and self imposed segregation from groups not wanting to assimilate are transforming the country we live in today before our very eyes. The two examples I gave you are of far more demographic significance, for example, Handsworth in Birmingham is 99% non white.

If you are an ethnic minority, I have no doubt that when you walk around a dominant ethnically British area you feel no concern. That is because the government bends over backwards to teach the natives that racism works only one way, and that you should be accepting and welcome everyone with open arms. However, this propoganda is directed only at the white majority, meaning racism in ethnic ghettos is left to fester and grow.

ReputationRep:
    I do not study history, so you are probably right about Scandinavians vs Anglo-Saxon immigration, do you not agree that it forms a large part of our cultural identity though?

(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    To be completely accurate, this isn't the case. It's recently been shown that the Anglo-Saxon peoples only contributed to 5% of the ethnic gene pool. So, effectively no person who can trace their roots back to around 500AD has an "ancestory [sic] of saxon imigration [sic]". It's actually been shown that there was a greater input to the gene pool by Scandinavians than Anglo-Saxons.
    What's your source for the 5%?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Nick ain´t that bad.
    But I still prefer the dear leader Kim Jong ll

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    What's your source for the 5%?
    It was in Stephen Oppenheimer's book The Origins of the British:

"...75-95% of British Isles (genetic) matches derive from Iberia... Ireland, coastal Wales, and central and west-coast Scotland are almost entirely made up from Iberian founders, while the rest of the non-English parts of the British Isles have similarly high rates. England has rather lower rates of Iberian types with marked heterogeneity, but no English sample has less than 58% of Iberian samples..."

(Original post by Navras)
    Really? Aren't you underestimating what we'd gain from reducing susidies and increasing trade with the commonwealth, specifically Canada.
    LOL

Yeah, the Canadians are going to want to trade with a racist state. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    A 15% Muslim population is nothing to the scale on which I am talking. Massive demographic shifts combined with ghetto's and self imposed segregation from groups not wanting to assimilate are transforming the country we live in today before our very eyes. The two examples I gave you are of far more demographic significance, for example, Handsworth in Birmingham is 99% non white.
    15% is the whole region, this region is quite segregated with some areas having 99% of one ethnic group, such as the white estates, or the mainly muslim areas

If you are an ethnic minority, I have no doubt that when you walk around a dominant ethnically British area you feel no concern. That is because the government bends over backwards to teach the natives that racism works only one way, and that you should be accepting and welcome everyone with open arms. However, this propoganda is directed only at the white majority, meaning racism in ethnic ghettos is left to fester and grow.
    I assure you i am not an ethnic minority, my skin colour is "white" and i probably have a bit of irish blood. I do not feel much out of place in my current residence, there is little racism against me from anyone in my area.

It was in Stephen Oppenheimer's book The Origins of the British:

"...75-95% of British Isles (genetic) matches derive from Iberia... Ireland, coastal Wales, and central and west-coast Scotland are almost entirely made up from Iberian founders, while the rest of the non-English parts of the British Isles have similarly high rates. England has rather lower rates of Iberian types with marked heterogeneity, but no English sample has less than 58% of Iberian samples..."
    Ok, but 75-95% is not quite 95% exactly is it? Busted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oswy)
    Ok, but 75-95% is not quite 95% exactly is it? Busted.
    Read it again. :rolleyes: 75-95% of Iberians (who migrated over the ice sheets from the Basque region during the last Ice Age). The book stated that around 5% of the non-Iberian populace were specifically Anglo-Saxon (at the time - not in the present day), the rest consisting mainly of Scandinavians, as well as Gauls, some Celts, a sprinkling of Romans etc.

Regardless of specific figures, the "replacement" theory has been shown as nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    I do not study history, so you are probably right about Scandinavians vs Anglo-Saxon immigration, do you not agree that it forms a large part of our cultural identity though?
    I didn't dispute that.

ReputationRep:
    i was unsure

ReputationRep:
    15% is the whole region, this region is quite segregated with some areas having 99% of one ethnic group, such as the white estates, or the mainly muslim areas

I assure you i am not an ethnic minority, my skin colour is "white" and i probably have a bit of irish blood. I do not feel much out of place in my current residence, there is little racism against me from anyone in my area.
    Specific personal examples do little to argue against the massive demographic shifts I pointed out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    See below :
    Um, what? How are the Scots and the Irish ethnically British (and by association, the Northern Irish)? The Scots and the Irish come from the Irish celts, a different Celtic tribe to the Britons, who became the Welsh, Cornish and Bretons. Irish is itself an ethnicity. I think that definition needs to be severely revised.

Like I said before, the "British" ethnicity belongs solely to those who are Britons or Bretons, ie. the populations of Wales, Brittany and Cornwall.

Read it again. :rolleyes: 75-95% of Iberians (who migrated over the ice sheets from the Basque region during the last Ice Age). The book stated that around 5% of the non-Iberian populace were specifically Anglo-Saxon (at the time - not in the present day), the rest consisting mainly of Scandinavians, as well as Gauls, some Celts, a sprinkling of Romans etc.

Regardless of specific figures, the "replacement" theory has been shown as nonsense.
    Actually, it says 75-95% of genetic samples are derived from Iberia, not "75-95% of Iberians". Plus, that result could possibly be argued away by showing the high level of immgration to England from Ireland, especially as Irish Mythology has long held that the Irish Celts came from the Iberian peninsula.

ReputationRep:
    Specific personal examples do little to argue against the massive demographic shifts I pointed out.
    have you lived in any of these areas? I agree that it is a shame that some areas are so segregated, but this is not the norm and i would like the problem to be solved. You dont want it solved, you dont want any ethnic groups near you because of what? are you scared of them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Um, what? How are the Scots and the Irish ethnically British (and by association, the Northern Irish)? The Scots and the Irish come from the Irish celts, a different Celtic tribe to the Britons, who became the Welsh, Cornish and Bretons. Irish is itself an ethnicity. I think that definition needs to be severely revised.

Like I said before, the "British" ethnicity belongs solely to those who are Britons or Bretons, ie. the populations of Wales, Brittany and Cornwall.
    No. The original English, Scottish, Irish and Welsh were migrants from Spain's Basque region. Never Celts.

ReputationRep:
    have you lived in any of these areas? I agree that it is a shame that some areas are so segregated, but this is not the norm and i would like the problem to be solved. You dont want it solved, you dont want any ethnic groups near you because of what? are you scared of them?
    It is becoming the norm, and these areas are becoming increasingly visible throughout the country as the mass immigration wave continues alongside a far higher birthrate amongst certain ethnic groups.

How do you suggest we solve this problem? Remember ethnic ghettos are at the very lower tiers of the problem;The British way of life,social cohesion and indeed the British ethnicity itself is at stake here.

This attempt to link culture with ethnicity is bogus anyway. I'm probably as 'Anglo-Saxon' as it gets if stereotype appearances are anything to go by but I listen to jazz, eat Mexican and holiday in Greece because these cultural orientations appeal to me: my skin-colour/ethnicity/race don't dictate what I want to do in my life culturally and they shouldn't.

Trying to associate tradition in Britain with the mere fact of ethnicity as if the ethnicity itself is the source is just bad logic, not to say poisonous politics.

ReputationRep:
    I am unsure how to solve the problem.

Remember ethnic ghettos areat the very lower tiers of the problem
    i think we are not talking about the same "problem" here, i am talking about the problem of the segregation, not this "British way of life,social cohesion and indeed the British ethnicity" at stake, which you seem to think is happening. Could you give an example of how "The British way of life,social cohesion and indeed the British ethnicity" is stake so i can understand more about what you mean?

Trying to associate tradition in Britain with the mere fact of ethnicity as if the ethnicity itself is the source is just bad logic
    good point, though imigration does influence our culture, british curries for example

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.