Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    I have been brainwashed by my christian first school? prayers in the morning and hym lessons a product of this liberal establishment (thats one reason why i aint christian) I have nothing against religion, i just dont belive it
    It is fine that you don't believe in Christianity. Neither do I,for the record- I consider myself an agnostic upholder of Judeo-Christian values.

However, the idea that you would see Christianity and Islam as equally weird and unusual ideologies when one of them has shaped and built the land and culture you enjoy (or not,as the case may be ) today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voluntas Mos Victum)
    Bit of a weak arguement. Christianity and Islam are clearly two very opposing ideologies to anyone who has studied them both, however there are clear elements which spread throughout British culture and unite people more than they divide. The differences I speak of are radically opposing ideas and sets of people,compared to people differentiating in local cultural ways,albeit country to country.
    They are not radically opposed at all. They believe in the same God, believe they came from the same original religion, they just differ on the bit bout Jesus and Mohammed, nothing big. :p: Bit like language not playing an integral part to identity, really.

The ties that bind the UK are superficial ties which have little basis in fact. British culture is an amalgamation of the culture of each of the UK's regions, so much so radically opposing viewpoints are considered part of British culture. For instance, British culture would include Northern Irish culture, which would include Seamus Heaney, who is opposed to the Union. It would, thus, include other Irish Nationalist and Republican writers who are vehemently opposed to the Union. So, I restate: British culture does not exist except in the minds of those who only want to use it for their own ends. English, Irish, Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh culture, on the other hand, do exist.

Hell, some of Britain's canon is made up of foreign authors. Shock! Horror!

ReputationRep:
    the culture that is:

"driving in a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then travelling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV."

which i consider quite british

i know more about christianity ( my girlfriend's father was a vicar ) but i dont know much, nor do i know much about islam, "shaped and build the land and culture you enjoy"? im not sure about that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chpz)
    well duh, of course they defended their way of life, but they did so in violent manors which are not appropriate for today. And the idea of multiculturalism is that many cultures maintain their own identity but live amongst each other, respecting the differences. It is possible, it just requires pricks like yourself to shut the **** up.
    I am defending my way of life via the ballot box, which is far more appropriate for current social norms. The idea of multi-culturalism is a modern,far left and inherently flawed idea- the very nature of a multi-cultural society dilutes and pushes to the side the native culture. That is it's very purpose.

(Original post by Chpz)
    Change is good, change is what stimulates further development of society and technology.
    Are you saying that the Germanic tribes of Saxony and the Normans are the same?
    Or that the Gauls and the Romans are the same? Maybe today the inhabitants of those areas are similar, but during the time period when they were around, they could not be more different.
    It is hardly "Third world hordes" is it? It is a few thousand people, dotted about the country, its hardly noticeable. The idea that they are "colonising our cities" is ridiculous. The cities already have inhabitants, you cant colonise that which is already lived in. And they have every right to come live here, we are afterall, HUMAN....
    I don't see how throwing the third world into Europe is beneficial for anything other than short-termist greed (argueably exploitative cheap labour). When you throw the third world into the first world,what you are left with is a second world.

The demographic changes that are occuring are not small, and a look at the major cities and ethnic birthrates will prove this.

(Original post by Chpz)
    Do know what Islam actually means? It translates directly into "peace". A Jihad is a "struggle" so Islamic peoples are struggling for peace.... how does that directly oppose what we stand for? Also, those stories about women being oppressed and all that, yes, it is true, but it also no different from extremist Christains or most other religions or Western Social Structures. All those bad stories about muslims are totally unrepresentative of the Islamic peoples, just the Muslim extremists, which are just as bad as all extremists, Christian, Jew, White, Black, etc etc... all extremism is idiotic
    There is a far higher percentage of Islamic extremism than there is Christian in this country. Indeed, Muslims actually believe what their holy book teaches, and have little worries abusing liberal naievity for their own agendas.

ReputationRep:
    "There is a far higher percentage of Islamic extremism than there is Christian in this country. Indeed, Muslims actually believe what their holy book teaches, and have little worries abusing liberal naievity for their own agendas."
    i beg of you to look at northern ireland
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by sashaxxx123)
    But the queen's ancestors came from Germany
    A lot more people than just Queen's ancestors came from Germany. Many BNP members will find they have ancestors from various places in Europe, and some even the Middle East and Russia.

ReputationRep:
    The monarchy transcends human agency, accountable only to God. Whether they're originally German, French, Italian or Spanish it doesn't matter as long as they're coronated in accordance to the Church of England.

ReputationRep:
    dey tuk are jeobs

ReputationRep:
    I am defending my way of life via the ballot box, which is far more appropriate for current social norms. The idea of multi-culturalism is a modern,far left and inherently flawed idea- the very nature of a multi-cultural society dilutes and pushes to the side the native culture. That is it's very purpose.
    most BNP supporters defend their way of life through thuggish violence, which is one of the many reasons why the BNP is so hated. How is multiculturalism flawed? Give me one GOOD argument as to how it is flawed.... And the idea that Britain should be shut off from other cultures is a far right ignorant ideal. The purpose of multiculturalism is for separate cultures to co-exist, with neither one being dominant over another. Now, I realise that it is impossible to completely remove the "native" (no such thing for reasons I have already explained) culture but it still does not mean that it has to be dominant over everything else. Why cannot there not be several smaller cultures that combine take up as much of a percentage as the "native" culture.

I don't see how throwing the third world into Europe is beneficial for anything other than short-termist greed (argueably exploitative cheap labour). When you throw the third world into the first world,what you are left with is a second world.

The demographic changes that are occuring are not small, and a look at the major cities and ethnic birthrates will prove this.
    You're stating short term greed as an argument against multiculturalism? But your right wing, thats all you ever want. "Now is all that matters, **** the future, let the future generations fix it. I want to satisfy my own greed, NOW" (A generalisation of how a right wing capitalist thinks, because you are obviously too ignorant to figure it out for yourself.)
    What exactly would a second world be then? I suppose at least we know you can do numbers, up to three at least. Maybe one day Griffin will spoon feed you your numbers up to ten. A country is no longer defined as first or third world anymore anyway. It is developing and developed. If a comparatively (and thats all the changes are) small number of immigrants from a developing country move into a developed country, does that automatically downgrade that country? Of course it does not, the only way it would be possible to do that would be to destroy technologies, which I'll think you'll find, does not happen.

There is a far higher percentage of Islamic extremism than there is Christian in this country. Indeed, Muslims actually believe what their holy book teaches, and have little worries abusing liberal naievity for their own agendas.
    You made that up, there is almost no Islam extremism in this country, because I'll think you'll find that they haven't been very successful. Extremists need numbers to be successful, numbers which they clearly don't have. You have been brainwashed into thinking every Muslim is an extremist and wants to blow themselves up. That is clearly not true as once again, most attacks have been small, insignificant and not had any real impact. Take Glasgow airport for example, Al Queda failed to detonate fuel bombs, with a flaming man. How much flame do they need? They are not a threat here. You get the odd one or two loners in a dank flat making fertiliser bombs, and they are normally found out almost instantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joy Division)
    dey tuk are jeobs
    no one in their right mind would hire you if you have such a poor grasp of the English language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chpz)
    most BNP supporters defend their way of life through thuggish violence, which is one of the many reasons why the BNP is so hated. How is multiculturalism flawed? Give me one GOOD argument as to how it is flawed.... And the idea that Britain should be shut off from other cultures is a far right ignorant ideal. The purpose of multiculturalism is for separate cultures to co-exist, with neither one being dominant over another. Now, I realise that it is impossible to completely remove the "native" (no such thing for reasons I have already explained) culture but it still does not mean that it has to be dominant over everything else. Why cannot there not be several smaller cultures that combine take up as much of a percentage as the "native" culture.
    I take it you read that book: Make Europe and America multicultural whilst the rest of the world remains homogenous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    I take it you read that book: Make Europe and America multicultural whilst the rest of the world remains homogenous
    I haven't, good read? Not sure if I agree with the title though. Why should only Europe and America be multicultural? Why not the rest of the world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chpz)
    I haven't, good read? Not sure if I agree with the title though. Why should only Europe and America be multicultural? Why not the rest of the world?
    It doesn't exist. I was implying that the problem isn't with multiculturalism per se, it's just that there's an imbalance, considering only the West is being multiculturalised.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't exist. I was implying that the problem isn't with multiculturalism per se, it's just that there's an imbalance, considering only the West is being multiculturalised.

But hasn't the West always taken the lead globally with regards to the future?

You could have said that there was an imbalance during the 19th century considering only the West was being industrialised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chpz)
    most BNP supporters defend their way of life through thuggish violence
    Most BNP supporters defend their way of life through thuggish violence? A wicked, liberal lie if ever I saw one. The absolute majority of BNP supporters are upstanding citizens,mostly patriots, concerned about the future of their country.I can promise you have no evidence to suggest "most BNP supporters are thugs",and such a claim is only ever made to pidgeonhole the BNP vote and isolate a potential middle class BNP vote further.

(Original post by Chpz)
    The purpose of multiculturalism is for separate cultures to co-exist, with neither one being dominant over another.
    You can state a purpose however much you want- it is set to fail because the very nature of accomodating one culture pushes another to the side. Cultures are not designed to co-exist any further than countries co-exist, and to suggest otherwise has dreadful outcomes on social cohesion and other fronts.

(Original post by Chpz)
    Now, I realise that it is impossible to completely remove the "native" (no such thing for reasons I have already explained) culture but it still does not mean that it has to be dominant over everything else. Why cannot there not be several smaller cultures that combine take up as much of a percentage as the "native" culture.
    You deny that a native culture exists, yet then claim it is not being diluted. Such an odd determination to attack an arguement from any direction reveals you may hold a deeper agenda, most likely that of total globalisation.

(Original post by Chpz)
    You're stating short term greed as an argument against multiculturalism? But your right wing, thats all you ever want. "Now is all that matters, **** the future, let the future generations fix it. I want to satisfy my own greed, NOW" (A generalisation of how a right wing capitalist thinks, because you are obviously too ignorant to figure it out for yourself.)
    I'm not a right wing capitalist. I am a nationalist, which means I am situated mostly on the economic left and the social right. I think short-termist capitalist greed andthe raping of the earth's resources for immediate financial gain will be something future generations will hate us for.

(Original post by Chpz)
    What exactly would a second world be then? I suppose at least we know you can do numbers, up to three at least. Maybe one day Griffin will spoon feed you your numbers up to ten. A country is no longer defined as first or third world anymore anyway. It is developing and developed. If a comparatively (and thats all the changes are) small number of immigrants from a developing country move into a developed country, does that automatically downgrade that country? Of course it does not, the only way it would be possible to do that would be to destroy technologies, which I'll think you'll find, does not happen.
    It would be a country where the political elite rule from segregated areas not touched by their corrupt policies or by the multi-cultural bankrupt slum cities they have created. It already happens to an extent- note the way that the most staunch defenders of the multi-cultural experiment are those who live furthest from it.

Oh,I'm sorry, is it politically incorrect for me to say third world now? I do apologise, but unlike you I do not believe that all cultures are equal and interchangeable.

The idea that we can take a third worlder and make them an upstanding Briton is not only incorrect but also as morally bankrupt as suggesting that we should impose our way of life on Africans during the British colonial period.

(Original post by Chpz)
    You made that up, there is almost no Islam extremism in this country, because I'll think you'll find that they haven't been very successful. Extremists need numbers to be successful, numbers which they clearly don't have. You have been brainwashed into thinking every Muslim is an extremist and wants to blow themselves up. That is clearly not true as once again, most attacks have been small, insignificant and not had any real impact. Take Glasgow airport for example, Al Queda failed to detonate fuel bombs, with a flaming man. How much flame do they need? They are not a threat here. You get the odd one or two loners in a dank flat making fertiliser bombs, and they are normally found out almost instantly.
    There is almost no Islamic extremism in this country? Ridiculous claim that does not even warrant a reply.

They have plenty of recruitment possibilities as a result of dissaproval of British foreign policy in Muslim countries and mass immigration which gives them many people to recruit from.

ReputationRep:
    That is inevitable as the West is currently the most developed region of the world, and therefore will have a greater influx of economically motivated immigrants.

ReputationRep:
    You have a point there. It is probably because the west is the only place worth moving to find a better life. People don't move from a war torn, poverty stricken country to Zimbabwe do they? No, because that is not progress. However, it isn't only the west, my favourite examples are Singapore (one of the most multicultural places on the earth) and Dubai.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olivia_Lightbulb)
    That is inevitable as the West is currently the most developed region of the world, and therefore will have a greater influx of economically motivated immigrants.
    It isn't inevitable,though.

We don't have to let them in.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't inevitable,though.

We don't have to let them in.
    To an extent, to continue our economic development we do. Also, immigration doesn't dilute the indigenous culture, it adds to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Navras)
    Nick aint that bad, certainly if you judge him by his appearance on the Andrew Marr show. I think BNP are trying to change their image. Which is good and I hope they do well.

THEY TOOK OUR JOBS! And racism will only go so far in this day and age. It's a good thing that they want to mellow out a bit and step away from petty issues like race. And I don't despise nationalism, what I hate more is internationalism. Especially with ******* EUROPE.

This might be more appropriate for general discussion, I have no argument. I just wanted to express my disdain for people that cry NAZI and RACIST at them. I'd like to laugh at these people, but everyone seems to agree with them. So I just get angry.
    Not to go all tabloid on you and jump on the "nazi" bandwagon, but just remember that the holocaust wasn't in the stone age, it was hardly that long ago, in a supposed modern day world in which such atrocities shouldn't have happened. It makes me laugh when people contest the bnp/nazi comparison, saying of the holocaust: "That will never happen in this civilised modern day world, it can't, no country would let that happen". But lo and behold, it did, under alot of the world's nose. In fact I bet back then people were saying the same thing as they are nowadays, that it couldn't happen. We weren't mindless cavemen 60 odd years ago, things haven't changed, and putting another party in power with such strong views could just spark something no one saw coming, again.

Just remember that before you consider voting the BNP into power.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.