Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am taking Maths, Business Studies and History at a2 and am interested in doing a HandP course. Do my subjects put me at a disadvantage?? Only History is really relatable (and that is generally essential).

ReputationRep:
    you need to show your interests outside of college, eg reading. You could always play on the fact you did Maths, some courses for Politics involve stats.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    History can have a lot of politics in it if you study the right era. Plus, it's easier to pick up G+P if you haven't done it than it is to pick up H.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    History can have a lot of politics in it if you study the right era. Plus, it's easier to pick up G+P if you haven't done it than it is to pick up H.
    I am doing history though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmfao)
    I am doing history though?
    You don't need politics to do politics at uni, in fact, many people haven't done it before at A level because their schools don't offer it. However, to do history at uni, you do need history at A level.

Your subjects are fine - focus on doing well in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    You don't need politics to do politics at uni, in fact, many people haven't done it before at A level because their schools don't offer it. However, to do history at uni, you do need history at A level.

Your subjects are fine - focus on doing well in them.
    Thanks for help.

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying International History with International Politics and I didn't take Politics at A-Level. What I would suggest is do some reading around Politics before you get there though, found it very tough at first as the majority had already had atleast 2 years experience at A-Level.

ReputationRep:
    Someone once said that "history is past's politics, and politics is present history". I don't really agree. I think that's a rather close-minded view of things. History is so diverse and fragmented now that we have Cliometrics, Annales - and social science - history, geographical history, cultural history (though arguably culture is a political side-effect). I'd be inclined to agree that the study of political history can help us formulate an opinion on present political issues (as long as it carries no moral baggage). With regards to A levels, there's no need for you to take one specifically dedicated to politics. History & Politics at university mainly consists of political history, which you should be able to educate yourself of with wider reading anyway. If need be you can read political theory outside the A level course too.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.