Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    Then whats the point in commenting, judging from your username I'm guessing you're into the excuse for music known as rap, so I don't expect you to like rock music.
    Ewww people like you who stick to one genre of music. What's wrong with liking Hip Hop and Rock as much? For the record Alt Rock sucks. 90s Alt Rock anyway is some of the worst Rock music ever. Late 60s, early 70s Rock was best. Fact is 90s was better for Hip Hop and the development of Dance and Hip Hop music then Rock/Metal. Metal was nearly all crap from 90s onwards for me and Rock had a very poor decade, some good bands this decade but you have to venture out of the mainstream to find them, still not up to the standard of The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zep etc.

ReputationRep:
    Nirvana - In Utero (Wayyyy better than Nevermind)
    Faith No More - Angel Dust
    Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile
    Soundgarden - Superunknown
    Fu Manchu - Eatin' Dust
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic
    Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine
    The Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hova)
    EXCUSE, EXCUSE?!?!?!?

some of the most beautiful music of all time came from rap

ac dc, pearl jam HELLO?

ALL INFLUENCED BY RAP.
    Erm Pearl Jam was a lot more influenced by the Seattle grunge culture than it ever was by rap music. I find it pretty hilarious that you're trying to claim Pearl Jam of all bands as being influenced by rap, Linkin Park yes, Pearl Jam nooo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ991)
    (on A Design for Life, I noticed Cardiff Council got the Manics to open the library, partly because the opening line to that song is "Libraries give us power")
    Which in turn was taken from the front of the Blackwood Miners' Institute Library, which was one of the beacons of working-class autodidact culture. A world that has gone, of course.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for all those manics fans on the previous page! THB>EMG in my opinion, both great albums but The Holy Bible is the only MSP masterpiece and unique worldwide in it's style and sonority .

And let me add these:
    The Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin
    DJ Shadow - ...Endtroducing

ReputationRep:
    Erm Pearl Jam was a lot more influenced by the Seattle grunge culture than it ever was by rap music. I find it pretty hilarious that you're trying to claim Pearl Jam of all bands as being influenced by rap, Linkin Park yes, Pearl Jam nooo.
    so why does 'pearl jam rap' have more hits on google than 'pearl jam seattle grunge'?

answer me that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hova)
    so why does 'pearl jam rap' have more hits on google than 'pearl jam seattle grunge'?

answer me that.
    Your argument was weak tbh. It would have been better to name a band like Rage Against The Machine. Ultimately anyone who knows enough about music will have a good knowledge about most music genres, and not only the one type like rock, rap etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    Ewww people like you who stick to one genre of music. What's wrong with liking Hip Hop and Rock as much? For the record Alt Rock sucks. 90s Alt Rock anyway is some of the worst Rock music ever. Late 60s, early 70s Rock was best. Fact is 90s was better for Hip Hop and the development of Dance and Hip Hop music then Rock/Metal. Metal was nearly all crap from 90s onwards for me and Rock had a very poor decade, some good bands this decade but you have to venture out of the mainstream to find them, still not up to the standard of The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zep etc.
    I like a wide variety of music, pretty much all forms of rock music not just alt, I like easy listening stuff like Katie Melua/Dido/Jack Johnson, I like some classical music, I like older music like The Doors and David Bowie. I'm not just a one genre person but rap is awful, the only people I have respect for in the rap industry are the producers like Dre who create the actual music behind it. The rappers and their lyrics are just cliched misogynistic idiots who glorify violence and breaking the law.

The early 90's was dominated by the Alt Rock scene and that was some damn good music, rock music hasn't recovered since then, pretty much since about 97 it's been in the doldrums and RnB/Rap/Hip Hop have been dominant along with the usual pop crap like Lady Gaga.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hova)

answer me that.
    Yes quoting google search results in a well verified way of proving your argument, I could find more results for Israel being a murderous bunch of Zionists rather than a beacon of democracy in the Middle East just defending itself. It doesn't mean either option is correct.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hova)

answer me that.
    Idiot? Because "jam" and "rap" for themselves have more finds than "seattle" and "grunge" obviously. If you want "jam" and "rap" to be related with Pearl Jam you have to use quotation marks on the whole sentence, learn how to do a decent search.

ReputationRep:
    I like a wide variety of music, pretty much all forms of rock music not just alt, I like easy listening stuff like Katie Melua/Dido/Jack Johnson, I like some classical music, I like older music like The Doors and David Bowie. I'm not just a one genre person but rap is awful, the only people I have respect for in the rap industry are the producers like Dre who create the actual music behind it. The rappers and their lyrics are just cliched misogynistic idiots who glorify violence and breaking the law.

The early 90's was dominated by the Alt Rock scene and that was some damn good music, rock music hasn't recovered since then, pretty much since about 97 it's been in the doldrums and RnB/Rap/Hip Hop have been dominant along with the usual pop crap like Lady Gaga.
    I'm not going to bother arguing with someone like you who thinks they know a lot about music when you certainly don't. For the record though, Gaga isn't that bad, she's made a couple of good songs and is actually very talented if you check some youtube videos out. Also if you think most rap is crap, oh dear, you obviously don't know much again! And if you knew much you would know that talking about their hoes, violence etc isn't all what rappers do. Listen to 2Pac, Nas, Lupe FIasco, Immortal Technique and tell me otherwise. Also you say RnB, Hip Hop have been dominant, so has Rock again. Most of the mainstream stuff in all genres including Rock just as much has been dire - why pick out RnB and Hip Hop just for being crap since then. It's obviously clear that most mainstream music has been poor for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auronuk)
    Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
    Radiohead - The Bends/OK Computer
    Built to Spill - Keep it Like a Secret
    Modest Mouse - The Lonesome Crowded West

Pretty standard stuff really.
    Can't believe I left out those ones! B&S If You're Feeling Sinister is a good shout, but personally I prefer Tigermilk, maybe as it was the first B&S album I ever heard and I fell in love with the first three songs. Holy BIbe is another good shout too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isitjustme...)
    My Bloody Valentine - Loveless - Hell yes!
    Amen to that.Brilliant album , probably don't listen to it as often as I should

My personal favourite albums from then are probably Cuckoo by Curve and Troublegum by Therapy? - I like all of the songs on those albums which is a rarity.

ReputationRep:
    1. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    2. Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    3. Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
    4. Weezer - The Blue Album
    5. Oasis - (What's The Story?) Morning Glory
    6. My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
    7. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    8. Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against The Machine
    9. Pavement - Slanted & Enchanted
    10. Modest Mouse - This is a Long Drive for Someone With Nothing to Think About

ReputationRep:
    (what's the story) morning glory- oasis.

ReputationRep:
    Dangerous by Michael Jackson. End of story. In my opinion it is Jackson's best album. His 80's stuff gets a lot of credit and rightly so but the Dangerous Album is a master class.

The songs are so varied. Slash from Gun 'n roses contributes, as does Teddy Riley and others. I would recommend it. The production is top noch.

ReputationRep:
    + Bjork - Post
    Tom Waits - Bone Machine
    Fugazi - Red Medicine

And hey, In Utero is in my opinion superior to Nevermind.

ReputationRep:
    Madonna - Erotica :cool:
    Kate Bush - The Red Shoes

ReputationRep:
    Whoever nominated The Soft Bulletin. Thumbs up to you. Just missed out on my top 10.

ReputationRep:
    Parklife by the amazing band in my signature

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.