Turn on thread page Beta

Best album of the 90s? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Def Mayb comes to mind straight away. Live Forever is one of my favourite songs of all time (want it at my funeral).

Automatic for the People, Fat of the Land, BSSM (RHCP), and both Radiohead's breakthrough albums are also awesome.

ReputationRep:
    Too many to name, but these stand out to me:

Scott Walker - Tilt
    MBV - Loveless
    The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
    Slowdive - Souvlaki
    Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
    Silver Jews - American Water
    Mr. Bungle - Mr. Bungle
    Naked City - Naked City
    Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One
    Boris - Amplifier Worship
    Godspeed You Black Emperor! - F♯ A♯ ∞
    Sigur Rós - Ágætis byrjun
    Greenthink - Blindfold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dfjr)
    er OK.
    I chose OK Computer above The Bends as personally I feel that OK Computer is radiohead's definitive album. I think it's rather more interesting musically and lyrically, and listening to it the whole way through is a pretty amazing experience. It's like an emotional rollercoaster.

The Bends has fantastic vocals, but in terms of song order is less well thought out. Street Spirit although a great song in it's own right, to me doesn't sound like a good finisher (perhaps due to the songs leading up to it not fitting in either). The tourist from OK computer I feel is much more suited, and the tracks are more ordered hence the overall effect of the album is intensified, e.g. No suprises being the "calm before the storm", Karma police nicely leading onto Fitter Happier (while although Fitter Happier is not radiohead's best song, it does set the mood very well for the 2nd half of the album).

The Bends has some nice lyrics in it (I particularly like the title track). It's opener is very good also (but again I feel it's weaker than Airbag). Though some of the tracks aren't particularly strong. It's kind of a mix between very strong (e.g. Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit, The Bends) and kind of average/week (Bones, Sulk). Also High and Dry personally I don't like so much, although it's a great song, I think it's inferior to Fake Plastic Trees and suffers from preceding it. The talent of arranging songs in such a way to inspire emotions (and emotional changes) in the listener I don't feel were employed to great extent as other albums. OK Computer was the first to do that, and Kid A also doing that well (in fact all their albums after The Bends have done that well).

The Bends although had some great guitar parts weren't as inventive or interesting as the Radiohead sounds albums after it. Having said that, I do believe Fake Plastic Trees is the best radiohead song (the emotions in conjures are incredible). I probably rank the radiohead albums as follows:
    OK Computer
    Kid A
    Hail to the Thief (which I believe is underrated)
    Amnesiac
    The Bends
    Pablo Honey

There I believe I have given you an answer.
    What about In Rainbows?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sorry...Alright...Well...)
    I'm interested to know why you think OK Computer beats The Bends. For me, it would be a toss up between the two, but I cannot pick between them. Both albums mean so much to me.
    no way, the bends sounds like a generic indie/grunge rock album.
    If radiohead had made another album like Pablo Honey or the Bends instead of OK Computer they'd have disappeared into obscurity like the rest of the bands in the 90s that they sounded like.

i can't pick one album in particular i have to go with a handful

Wu Tang Clan - Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers)
    Nas - Illmatic
    Fugees - The Score
    Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (REALLY surprised nobody else has said this)
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    Dr Dre - The Chronic

This is an abridged list of the original list I did seeing as I had about 35 albums i truly love, but then realised I should maybe take out some albums that can't really be considered best of the decade. Those included NIN, A Tribe Called Quest, Pearl Jam, U2, Chilis, REM, and Rage among others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    no way, the bends sounds like a generic indie/grunge rock album.
    If radiohead had made another album like Pablo Honey or the Bends instead of OK Computer they'd have disappeared into obscurity like the rest of the bands in the 90s that they sounded like.

i can't pick one album in particular i have to go with a handful

Wu Tang Clan - Enter the Wu Tang (36 Chambers)
    Nas - Illmatic
    Fugees - The Score
    Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (REALLY surprised nobody else has said this)
    Nirvana - Nevermind
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    Dr Dre - The Chronic

This is an abridged list of the original list I did seeing as I had about 35 albums i truly love, but then realised I should maybe take out some albums that can't really be considered best of the decade. Those included NIN, A Tribe Called Quest, Pearl Jam, U2, Chilis, REM, and Rage among others
    I see what you are saying, OK Computer is obviously their defining album, but I think The Bends is also amazing.

Also, I agree with The Chronic - great album.

ReputationRep:
    I see what you are saying, OK Computer is obviously their defining album, but I think The Bends is also amazing.

Also, I agree with The Chronic - great album.
    Don't get me wrong, the Bends is a good album but to even think of considering it one of the best of the decade is a step too far in my opinion.
    I pretty much agree with that other guys ranking of the Radiohead albums, I don't know where to put In Rainbows either though. Sometimes I feel like it's their best album to date, other times I think the 4 albums that preceded it are all better

ReputationRep:
    What about In Rainbows?
    Oh yeah, sorry
    list would be
    OK Comp
    Kid A
    Hail to the Thief
    Amnesiac
    The Bends
    In Rainbows
    Pablo Honey

p.s. thank you for the rep

ReputationRep:
    No 'Modern Life Is Rubbish' mentioned 5 pages into the thread? What kind of 90s album thread is this?

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.