Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heya, I'm looking at applying to Oxbridge but the problem is that I haven't really decided what I want to do - either Business/Economics or Physics. Or both. I will probably end up applying for both in different universities.

Anyhow, since UCAS allows only one Personal Statement for all unis, I don't really know how to write one that will be effective and incorporate both Physics and Business/Economics.

I've looked at quite a few sites and I can't find a personal statement that does both.

I would like some help if you know of a good one that will fit my needs or someplace to look (as I've looked at quite a few sites already), please I thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't write a PS covering two (different) fields of knowledge. The uni will know that you are not focused to the subject and will immediately reject you (esp for oxbridge) even you're predicted full marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomerBoren)
    Heya, I'm looking at applying to Oxbridge but the problem is that I haven't really decided what I want to do - either Business/Economics or Physics. Or both. I will probably end up applying for both in different universities.

Anyhow, since UCAS allows only one Personal Statement for all unis, I don't really know how to write one that will be effective and incorporate both Physics and Business/Economics.

I've looked at quite a few sites and I can't find a personal statement that does both.

I would like some help if you know of a good one that will fit my needs or someplace to look (as I've looked at quite a few sites already), please I thank you in advance.
    Don't listen to post above. It can be done, and HAS been done before.

Instead of the whole "I want to study... because" put I am interested in this field etc, focus on your transferrable skills. As long as you word it the right way you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I know it has been done, but I want to see an example of how.

(Original post by TomerBoren)
    I know it has been done, but I want to see an example of how.
    Be the first great example! Go for it!!

ReputationRep:
    lol, seriously though, I need some guidelines that's why I want to see an example :P
    Any place where I can find guidelines?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Click on the personal statement tab (at the top of the page) and then click the "personal statement library" section. Otherwise studential.com is pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura_f_1990)
    Don't listen to post above. It can be done, and HAS been done before.

Instead of the whole "I want to study... because" put I am interested in this field etc, focus on your transferrable skills. As long as you word it the right way you will be fine.
    lol of coz it can be done, its your freedom to write anything in ur PS, but getting accepted by the uni is another matter. To let the uni know you are interested in THE subject (or closely related subjects) you need to write only one subject to show them your interest and dedication to the subject. If you are applying for econ but write some physics skills, the chances are the uni will not let you in, esp for highly competitive unis as oxbridge.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by jc_bach)
    lol of coz it can be done, its your freedom to write anything in ur PS, but getting accepted by the uni is another matter. To let the uni know you are interested in THE subject (or closely related subjects) you need to write only one subject to show them your interest and dedication to the subject. If you are applying for econ but write some physics skills, the chances are the uni will not let you in, esp for highly competitive unis as oxbridge.
    If you're applying for a joint honours degree it is important to show a motivation for studying both topics. Oxbridge are aware of this and, in actual fact, look quite poitively upon the applicant's interest in a broader range of areas. It is illogical to suggest that somebody who has an interest in Economics and History, for example, is less motivated to study Economics than somebody who has applied for a single honours in that subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jc_bach)
    As I said, it depends how it is written. I know of someone who applied for two subjects totally unrelated at good universities and got accepted for both..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Laura_f_1990)
    As I said, it depends how it is written. I know of someone who applied for two subjects totally unrelated at good universities and got accepted for both..
    Yes, I was agreeing with you.

ReputationRep:
    Where can I find more info about joint degrees?

ReputationRep:
    Applying to different courses will probably not help make the decision any easier but could jeopardise your chances in either. There are some degrees incorporating aspects of both, but I would not recommend applying to two completely different courses. Courses to look at are: engineering, economics and management at Oxford
    physics with business management at Birmingham
    physics and business studies at Warwick
    Physics with Business & Management at Manchester. Those just came up on a quick search of some of the best unis, there are probably more.
    As you can see, most of the joint courses focus on the physics side with the business/economics bit as a smaller option. While it is probably possible to take some physics modules with some economics degrees, there seems to be less scope for combining the two from that side. The only suitable joint course at oxbridge is EEM (Oxford), which is mainly engineering; if you decided to take the engineering route there are other similar courses at several universities.
    Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you apply for MEM?

Maybe focus on how physics can be applied to produce stuff...?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.