Turn on thread page Beta

I have slightly enlarged lymph glands on the right side of my body in my groin + a sometimes dull pain in that general area: doesn't happen all the time though.

I've booked an appointment for this afternoon, and am now regretting it - I'm terrified! What if I've got some hideous form of illnesS? What if I have to be referred? What will they do? AHH.

I've really got myself worked up about this.

ReputationRep:
    Well until you go to the Dr you are not going to know what it is. And its only going to get worse the longer you leave it, and you will constantly worry. So just go tomorrow and find out what it is, although I don't know exactly what your describing, there is a great likelihood it will be something minor.

ReputationRep:
    Try and calm down and brethe. The doctor will have seen things like this before so will not be in the sligest bit worried about looking at it.

If you need to be refered then surely it is better to get some treatment if needed for something sooner rather then later?

Im sure it will be fine, just try and be brave

Thanks... it's just a big worry.
    I hope to god it's nothing major.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Try not to panic before you know what it is.
    Tell your doctor you are nervous, so they know to be gentle with you!

ReputationRep:
    How long have you had them for?

(Original post by Intensity)
    How long have you had them for?
    A month, i thought they would go down...
    They havent got any bigger though.

ReputationRep:
    I had something very similar. Turned out to be my lymph nodes that had swollen up, sometimes called lymph glands (even though they aren't actually glands). They took quite a while to go down, but were completely harmless. It happens sometimes when you have been fighting an infection/your body is a bit run down. Try not to panic

(Original post by twilight fingertips)
    I had something very similar. Turned out to be my lymph nodes that had swollen up, sometimes called lymph glands (even though they aren't actually glands). They took quite a while to go down, but were completely harmless. It happens sometimes when you have been fighting an infection/your body is a bit run down. Try not to panic
    Did you have dull pain too?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, sometimes. I was really worried about it too, but there is nothing they can really do about it. I'd say it took a good 2/3 months to go down? And even then, sometimes I'd think they'd gone down and then they'd swell up again. They did take a blood test though, to check it wasn't anything nasty like lymphoma, but that was more to make me feel happier than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    A month isn't that long. They'll probably do a blood test, and ask you to come back if it they haven't gone in another 3-4 weeks. It's more than likely that your body is just fighting off some infection. You'll be fine

(Original post by twilight fingertips)
    Yes, sometimes. I was really worried about it too, but there is nothing they can really do about it. I'd say it took a good 2/3 months to go down? And even then, sometimes I'd think they'd gone down and then they'd swell up again. They did take a blood test though, to check it wasn't anything nasty like lymphoma, but that was more to make me feel happier than anything else.
    OK Thank you.
    I hope it'll be ok. VERY worried... I'm quite the worrier - results, health, everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    OK Thank you.
    I hope it'll be ok. VERY worried... I'm quite the worrier - results, health, everything!
    That might be why they've flared up - if you're stressed, you will be more prone to infection, you're body will feel run down and your body is more likely to overreact to things. The lymph nodes being swollen are actually a sign that your body is doing the right thing, by kick starting your bodies immune system into further action. I know it's easy to say don't worry - believe me, I stressed out so much when I discovered the lump!! And it's horrible living with a lump when there's nothing you can do to treat it and no idea of when it's going to go away again. But if you stay calm, you'll feel better. Hopefully the dr will be able to confirm it's nothing serious

I was obviously a bit of a hypochrondiac... he said it was tiny, and that aching can be normal in puberty (late starter). He said I should get more exercise, keep an eye on it, and eat plenty of fruit. He also checked genitals for any lumps so phew - all fine.

The general consensus I got from his attitude was that I was a total worrier and time-waster!!

ReputationRep:
    Glad to hear you're in the all clear!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.