Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Date Ideas For Someone Going to Study Phillosophy Watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Discuss the meaning of life :dontknow:

Go for dinner and debate how it could just all be a dream :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    How about you just ask her to go and have lunch somewhere nice with you.

If she's "going to" study philosophy at university, it's likely she knows very little or almost nothing about it - so don't try and one-up her or meet her on it and show off, it won't get her to fall for you. Instead, be interested in her and why she wants to take it, what she gets from it. Worry about complex dates for your second anniversary. But don't think of that when you're with her.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think it makes any difference what she is doing at uni, i expect she is going to like what you do regardless. Obviously putting some more thought into it may be good, maybe take her for a walk somewhere, drive to a nice walk and then take a picnic and have a good talk and get to know one another?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study Philosophy at uni, but I can't really see how this would impact on my choice of dating at all. I'd find a Philosophy-themed date rather weird, to say the least, though I obviously wouldn't mind discussing it. Just do something normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackbourne)
    I met this girl recently and we started chatting. She told some things about herself and she is going to Study Phillosophy at University. We exchanged numbers but I am stuggling to think of thigns to do together. Is there something I can do that is Phillosophical for a date idea? I would prefer it if it could be cheap. I have a car so no worry about getting there.
    Thanks.
    Good thing she's not studying a foreign language or it would be a very expensive date.

If you try to take her out for a date based around her course you will look like such a tool. Honestly, take her shopping one afternoon so you can find out about her other interests and finish with a meal.

ReputationRep:
    Ask her to teach you how to spell philosophy? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    just take her to somewhere high over looking something nice. then sit there and look introspective. she'll love it.

ReputationRep:
    Surprisingly, we philosophy students are a lot like regular people, we eat, watch films, go shopping and do all of the things that normal humans do. Just treat her like you would anyone else, but maybe wear a beret and smoke a pipe to look sophisticated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    Surprisingly, we philosophy students are a lot like regular people, we eat, watch films, go shopping and do all of the things that normal humans do. Just treat her like you would anyone else, but maybe wear a beret and smoke a pipe to look sophisticated.
    But not a crack pipe.

ReputationRep:
    ask her whos idea of moral decision making she finds better Aristotle or Sartre ?

ReputationRep:
    Recreate a Socratic dialogue of yr choice. If you're not really into it, you can just do "The Republic" and be Thrasymachus. "THAT IS SO!!!!"

(Original post by Low Key)
    Good thing she's not studying a foreign language or it would be a very expensive date.
    Eh, that's nothing. If she were studying history, he'd have to find a flux capacitor.

ReputationRep:
    doubt she'll really want to go on a themed date, its a bit creepy. just take her on a date where you can talk to her and get to know her.

ReputationRep:
    Just because she's going to study philosophy, doesn't mean the date has to be philosophical in nature. I doubt many people studying Physics would necessarily like to be taken to the science museum on a date etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah subject themed dates are a bit awkward. What if you went out with a sexologist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wallflower*)
    Yeah subject themed dates are a bit awkward. What if you went out with a sexologist?
    first date is at mine, for starters we have foreplay, we all know what the main course is, desert-well i desert her face in cream :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    ask her if she concurs with the famous quote "I think, therefore I am" then ask her whether she'd let you confirm that she is, by touching her boob.

that was a joke by the way, admittedly a pretty awful one, but don't do themed, for your own sake.

also chances are she smokes weed. use that. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    How about you invite her over to your place to uhh.. comtemplate the meaning of life? Wink wink nudge nudge. :wink2:

But seriously, just take her out on a nice, normal date. A meal, coffee, drinks, whatever. I'm going to be studying history, doesn't necessarily mean I want to go to a museum...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackbourne)
    I met this girl recently and we started chatting. She told some things about herself and she is going to Study Phillosophy at University. We exchanged numbers but I am stuggling to think of thigns to do together. Is there something I can do that is Phillosophical for a date idea? I would prefer it if it could be cheap. I have a car so no worry about getting there.
    Thanks.
    Discuss how social conventions are merely human-created constructs with no rational justification, until she stops worrying about being perceived as a **** and ***** you in the back seat of your car

ReputationRep:
    I study Philosophy at uni, and I think if someone took me on a philosophy themed date I'd be a bit freaked out. It's a bit like when guys start chatting to me in bars, find out what subject I do, then say "so what's your philosophy on life?" or "do you want to hear my philosophy on life?", it kind of bugs me!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.