Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

I don't know whether I have already posted about it but nearly 2 days ago I had fixed braces fitted (the sort of see through kind). They are just on half of my top teeth to try and close a gap between my two front teeth. However, I am likely to have them for around 4 months but I have a slight problem - biting into anything is excruitiating without paracetomol and ibprofen. Even with these in my system I can't bear to use my front teeth.

Any soft mushy food ideas/reassurance that this will go would be useful!:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Can't comment because I never needed braces :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Your teeth are still sensitive. Don't forget, the brace is pressuring them into a certain position constantly. Don't worry, the pain should wear off soon.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, it'll go away soon. soup is your friend, or mash.

ReputationRep:

Can't comment because I never needed braces
    Have to say I love your sig BTW!

Your teeth are still sensitive. Don't forget, the brace is pressuring them into a certain position constantly. Don't worry, the pain should wear off soon.
    I hope so!

ReputationRep:
    yeah, it'll go away soon. soup is your friend, or mash.
    How long did it take?

ReputationRep:
    It'll go soon so don't worry. In the meantime soft foods that don't require much chewing (pasta, soup etc) will be the best idea.

ReputationRep:
    For those that have already gone through this, how long did it take to ease off?

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes about a week. I can't remember exactly though but it definitely goes away!

ReputationRep:
    Maximum of a week for the pain to wear off, until you go to the dentist to get them tightened. Then again, I had a different type of braces.

ReputationRep:
    trust me, when I had braces, I lived off noodles, soup and stuff....

ReputationRep:
    A few more days, yet. Think yourself lucky that you haven't got to have the brace on all of your teeth where the wire cuts up your mouth at the back.

I've got to get my second fixed brace soon, on top AND bottom, with elastics, the whole thing. So, I (or will) feel your pain. Also, I just got new glasses, so I'm kind of dreading rolling up at University looking like Ugly Betty. :| Anyway, feel better soon.

ReputationRep:
    aha. My first meal after having braces was spag bol, had to eat very slowly and chop it up alot.

ReputationRep:
    http://mikaeldrihem.files.wordpress....endazspot1.jpg

http://www.lovemarks.com/media/image...bbins_html.jpg

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't planning on committing suicide anytime soon...

ReputationRep:
    Soup, pasta, soft baked potatoes, rice, yoghurt and eggs - those see me well whenever I get mine tightened.

ReputationRep:
    I found chocolate buttons were good when I first got my brace... obviously they're not ideal for the well-being of your teeth, but because they melt on your tongue straight away there's no chewing, and the chocolate helps you stop feeling miserable from your achey teeth But if you're after something a bit healthier / more substantial then Weetabix is good, or other cereal that's gone a bit soft in the milk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9ruby)
    It worked for me.

ReputationRep:
    I found chocolate buttons were good when I first got my brace... obviously they're not ideal for the well-being of your teeth, but because they melt on your tongue straight away there's no chewing, and the chocolate helps you stop feeling miserable from your achey teeth But if you're after something a bit healthier / more substantial then Weetabix is good, or other cereal that's gone a bit soft in the milk.
    Now theres an idea...

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by k9ruby
    It worked for me.
    Ok..ok...thanks for the offer but I will pass at the chance of me suffacating :P

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.