Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually worried about big lecutures - having the typical nightmares of what if i dont understand, what if i miss something important, how do i cope etc etc. Anyone got any tips and funny/interesting stories of things that have happened at lectures to put my over-active mind at peace. :o:

ReputationRep:
    absolutely nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wait, a kid was once sick in a lecture. That's about the best of it.

ReputationRep:
    If you miss something, you can always ask a friend if you can look at their notes afterwards. Most lecturers but their slides online too so you can read over them again. Plus so long as you know what the subject area is, you can always do a bit of reading about whatever you don't understand. Lectures aren't scary things

ReputationRep:
    Interesting + lecture are not two words that mix.

Top tip: I went to about 40% of my lectures this year and managed to pass. If you put in the work in your own time, you can llow them

ReputationRep:
    Someone came dressed in a pink bunny suit to one of my lectures.

ReputationRep:
    Just remember to keep your hand down and shut the **** up whilst in a lecture.

ReputationRep:
    In my experience lectures tend to be overly simplistic. They're designed to give you the rough overview so you know what to base your reading upon afterwards. Of course this is much more the case on an Arts course. You'll need to be able to follow lectures in a science, I'm sure. Don't worry about coping. If you've been admitted then the University has made sure that you're academically capable. Many people take awhile to adjust to various things about the new environment, but they allow for that in first year. As other say, you can borrow notes, record the lecture on a dictaphone, and so on.

(Original post by Nick_000)
    Just remember to keep your hand down and shut the **** up whilst in a lecture.
    Isn't that a rather selfish attitude to take?

Our lecturers leave time before the end of the lecture for questions and they encourage discussion. I find the lectures far more interesting because we're able to take particular points of interest further (which makes the whole thing sink in much more) and also others sometimes raise questions which everybody had been wondering about.

(Original post by la_banane_verte)
    Someone came dressed in a pink bunny suit to one of my lectures.
    Somebody arrived late for a lecture, having come back from lunch with the college Master. He had overdressed for the lunch and was wearing a suit and academic gown. This resulted in the lecturer mercilessly taking the p out of him for 10mins Unfortunately he was an attention-whore so he loved every minute of it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    [color=#0099FF]

Isn't that a rather selfish attitude to take?

Our lecturers leave time before the end of the lecture for questions and they encourage discussion. I find the lectures far more interesting because we're able to take particular points of interest further (which makes the whole thing sink in much more) and also others sometimes raise questions which everybody had been wondering about.

No, its not. Its a room full of around 200 people. Not a personal conversation for you and your lecturer. If you have a question, ask him at the end or in the seminar. Or email him. Don't stop him halfway through and bellow out a question from 12 rows back.

To the people doing this, no you don't look like a dedicated, enthusiastic student. You look like a *******. Your fellow students despise you. We couldn't care less about suggested further reading you have partaken in.

Just shut the **** up. Some of us have places to be and we don't need your boring, inane and utterly pointless questions delaying us.

ReputationRep:
    No, its not. Its a room full of around 200 people. Not a personal conversation for you and your lecturer. If you have a question, ask him at the end or in the seminar. Or email him. Don't stop him halfway through and bellow out a question from 12 rows back.
    As I mentioned, our lectures finish ten mins before the end time to allow time for questions and discussion. People very rarely interject before that point.
    Some of us have places to be and we don't need your boring, inane and utterly pointless questions delaying us.
    I rest my case :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    As I mentioned, our lectures finish ten mins before the end time to allow time for questions and discussion. People very rarely interject before that point.
    That is fine. I have no objections to that.

However, I have seen many stop the lecturer halfway through with a painstakingly obvious question. It really grates on me.

These individuals lower my quality of life.

ReputationRep:
    I rest my case :rolleyes:
    Why should I have to sit through someone's personal conversation when they decide to hijack a lecture?

I could be in the library doing work or the lecture could over run due to unnecessary questions and vital points could be missed.

Oh wait, you thought I'd rather be drinking or partying? How presumptuous of you.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wait, you thought I'd rather be drinking or partying? How presumptuous of you.
    Not really. I just expect adults to be capable of a modicum of tolerance and patience :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I just expect adults to be capable of a modicum of tolerance and patience :dontknow:
    My tolerance and patience does not stretch to an individual asking a member of staff about his personal coursework in a lecture with 200 + people in attendance.

I think that is selfish and inconsiderate. We do not have time for questions at the end because they usually last the full hour. We do have seminars, the ability to book one on one meeting with our staff and questions answered by emails however.

ReputationRep:
    My tolerance and patience does not stretch to an individual asking a member of staff about his personal coursework in a lecture with 200 + people in attendance.

I think that is selfish and inconsiderate. We do not have time for questions at the end because they usually last the full hour. We do have seminars, the ability to book one on one meeting with our staff and questions answered by emails however.
    I'm sure there are lots of annoying cases, but I'm equally sure there must also be some exceptions who could use a bit of patience. However I appreciate that I can't really judge considering that we don't have that problem.

ReputationRep:
    In one of our lectures the lecturer takes his trousers off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    In one of our lectures the lecturer takes his trousers off.
    Is he a sex pest?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure there are lots of annoying cases, but I'm equally sure there must also be some exceptions who could use a bit of patience. However I appreciate that I can't really judge considering that we don't have that problem.
    I probably came across as a big ass during that exchange. That wasn't my intention.

For me, lectures are a general overview containg key basic points to elaborate on in our own time. Our lecture rooms are far too big for personal exchanges and it irks me when people think their question is more important than the other 199 + in the room.

Especially when that question could be answered after the lecture (like they obviously do at your uni), in seminars where small groups mean we can ask such questions or through email, phone conversations and meetings.

ReputationRep:
    i like it when people ask about coursework, cos then they go over it, then i can see where i am right or wrong

OP depends on the uni and the lecturer by they do put the lectures up online, all mine do, life saver when it comes to exam time

so my arts friends say their lectures are more of a outline of stuff, giving the min you need, so you have to go look other stuff more detail

you can have a fun with some of the question people ask, when your in a chemistry lecture, and someone asks what a isotope is :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, OP. Lectures aren't even that fundamental to your education.

I went to less than 20% of my lectures last year, came out with straight As, and finished at top of the year.

It depends on your individual method of studying. I prefer to be independent and get all the info from the appropriate textbooks (which also means I get to lie in bed whilst everybody else is at 9am lectures !).

Most lecturers provide their notes online, and if not, you can consult your friends for their notes. The resources are there one way or another. So it's not really important how you act or learn in a lecture. What's really important is how you act and learn in the library, at home, or wherever else you choose to study.

Everybody in a lecture is braindead - nothing but a human typewriter. Nobody can keep completely focussed for a whole hour while some professor rambles about whatever - especially if you have back to back lectures. It's simply not possible. You will miss things, you will fall asleep, you will daydream, and you won't absorb the vast majority of what gets said at lectures. But you can make up for that where it really counts - in your own personal study time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.