Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Just remember to keep your hand down and shut the **** up whilst in a lecture.
    I agree, there's nothing worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    In my experience lectures tend to be overly simplistic. They're designed to give you the rough overview so you know what to base your reading upon afterwards. Of course this is much more the case on an Arts course. You'll need to be able to follow lectures in a science, I'm sure. Don't worry about coping. If you've been admitted then the University has made sure that you're academically capable. Many people take awhile to adjust to various things about the new environment, but they allow for that in first year. As other say, you can borrow notes, record the lecture on a dictaphone, and so on.

Isn't that a rather selfish attitude to take?

Our lecturers leave time before the end of the lecture for questions and they encourage discussion. I find the lectures far more interesting because we're able to take particular points of interest further (which makes the whole thing sink in much more) and also others sometimes raise questions which everybody had been wondering about.

Somebody arrived late for a lecture, having come back from lunch with the college Master. He had overdressed for the lunch and was wearing a suit and academic gown. This resulted in the lecturer mercilessly taking the p out of him for 10mins Unfortunately he was an attention-whore so he loved every minute of it :rolleyes:
    raaaah man, apart from blinding me and taking up a whole page..........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_banane_verte)
    Someone came dressed in a pink bunny suit to one of my lectures.
    I've always wanted one of those...:o:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Our lecturers leave time before the end of the lecture for questions and they encourage discussion.
    Well, fine; conversely, my lecturers try and fit an hour's worth of material into 50 minutes and leave no time for anything. And the questions that are asked are all asked by the same four people, and they're always along the lines of "err, that's wrong, don't you mean [something else]?", which is never the case. If your lectures encourage discussion, that's great, but in lectures where discussion isn't encouraged (which, to be fair, is most of 'em), it's just a waste of time unless something is seriously wrong. It's a shame, really. Lectures are such a **** method of working.

(I realise "wrong" is something that my subject has a totally different concept of to yours, but surely it would be even worse in an SPS lecture, where the answer might be 5 minutes long rather than 30 seconds?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hairychimpanzee)
    raaaah man
    Woman
    (Original post by hairychimpanzee)
    apart from blinding me and taking up a whole page..........
    So you decided to waste another half of the page by quoting it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Well, fine; conversely, my lecturers try and fit an hour's worth of material into 50 minutes and leave no time for anything. And the questions that are asked are all asked by the same four people, and they're always along the lines of "err, that's wrong, don't you mean [something else]?", which is never the case. If your lectures encourage discussion, that's great, but in lectures where discussion isn't encouraged (which, to be fair, is most of 'em), it's just a waste of time unless something is seriously wrong. It's a shame, really. Lectures are such a **** method of working.

(I realise "wrong" is something that my subject has a totally different concept of to yours, but surely it would be even worse in an SPS lecture, where the answer might be 5 minutes long rather than 30 seconds?)
    My main man Ray (nickname for our lecturer) actually spent 20 minutes ranting about how bad lectures are and why they should be abandoned.

It focused on lectures being useful when few went to uni and discussion could be encouraged. Somehow, we kept this system and 30o years later or whatever we do it to rooms full of 200 people where no disscusion can possibly take place.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing much interesting besides people sneaking out after 5 minutes cos they were bored rigid. There was this lad though who always sat right at the front and was a bit...special and used to call out all the time and was just generally annoying.

ReputationRep:
    It's a shame, really. Lectures are such a **** method of working.
    Agreed. We're lucky we get supervisions.
    When somebody interrupts our lectures its usually to clarify some small distinction which usually takes up only a few seconds and nobody minds. At the Q&A at the end, sometimes people do have questions (or lecturers have answers) which do indeed take up 5mins or so, but people are free to leave if they want at this point, and few do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigman_ben)
    Nothing much interesting besides people sneaking out after 5 minutes cos they were bored rigid. There was this lad though who always sat right at the front and was a bit...special and used to call out all the time and was just generally annoying.
    One of my housemates got shouted at because he left to go to the toilet. Our lecturer thought he was sneaking out because he didn't take his shoulderbag off when he sat down so it looked as though he was leaving.

He went redder than that Daniel Merriweather song.

ReputationRep:
    No, its not. Its a room full of around 200 people. Not a personal conversation for you and your lecturer. If you have a question, ask him at the end or in the seminar. Or email him. Don't stop him halfway through and bellow out a question from 12 rows back.

To the people doing this, no you don't look like a dedicated, enthusiastic student. You look like a *******. Your fellow students despise you. We couldn't care less about suggested further reading you have partaken in.

Just shut the **** up. Some of us have places to be and we don't need your boring, inane and utterly pointless questions delaying us.

AMEN TO THIS POST!!!! Couldn't have said it better. There was this one boy in my economics lecture that would always counteract everything the lecturer said goshhhhh yes economics is about theories some are wrong/right its down to opinion but do we care no we just wanna go back to bed...jeezee!! LOL

ReputationRep:

Just shut the **** up. Some of us have places to be and we don't need your boring, inane and utterly pointless questions delaying us.
    Many lecturers welcome questions and make a statement as such at the beginning. Often when a person wants to ask a question it is about something that will benefit the whole class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weet_ABI_x)
    Interesting + lecture are not two words that mix.

Top tip: I went to about 40% of my lectures this year and managed to pass. If you put in the work in your own time, you can llow them
    i went to about 30 % of my lectures in the first semester and 4 lectures in the second semester and manged to get a 2;1....but it is only my first year so it doesn't count

ReputationRep:
    Just remember to keep your hand down and shut the **** up whilst in a lecture.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    In my experience lectures tend to be overly simplistic. They're designed to give you the rough overview so you know what to base your reading upon afterwards. Of course this is much more the case on an Arts course. You'll need to be able to follow lectures in a science, I'm sure. Don't worry about coping. If you've been admitted then the University has made sure that you're academically capable. Many people take awhile to adjust to various things about the new environment, but they allow for that in first year. As other say, you can borrow notes, record the lecture on a dictaphone, and so on.

Isn't that a rather selfish attitude to take?

Our lecturers leave time before the end of the lecture for questions and they encourage discussion. I find the lectures far more interesting because we're able to take particular points of interest further (which makes the whole thing sink in much more) and also others sometimes raise questions which everybody had been wondering about.

Somebody arrived late for a lecture, having come back from lunch with the college Master. He had overdressed for the lunch and was wearing a suit and academic gown. This resulted in the lecturer mercilessly taking the p out of him for 10mins Unfortunately he was an attention-whore so he loved every minute of it :rolleyes:
    If I need to get somewhere immediately after a lecture, asking questions delays the information I've come to the lecture for - the information from the lecturer -and delays me on my way to where I need to be.* If you need to ask the lecturer something then you can get what you want while not inconveniencing others by asking privately at the end of the lecture or via some other form of contact. This way, we both get what we want. If you asking during the lecture, only you get what you want. That is why it is selfish.

* And to use my first year as an example, 'where I need to be' wasn't slacking off, it was usually another lecture on the other side of town.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of my lectures are pretty much snoozeville - it's the seminars that really get you thinking. But lectures are in no way scary, you sit, you take relevant notes, don't try to scribble everything down, and you shush people who are talking all the time (apart from the lecturer of course).

ReputationRep:
    Most lecture's only cover the basic outline of the topic, you're supposed to do reading around the topic and attend seminars, thats where you learn the stuff. So if you don't understand something in the lecture don't worry about it, lecturers usually put slides or an overview online or you could always ask them about it at the end?

ReputationRep:
    lectures are useless tbh. i got a high 2.1 without going to many by just studying from the lecture notes
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I haven't read all the posts, so forgive me if this has already been said.

In my Uni (not sure about others), we were given blank slides. This meant that if you didn't turn up to the lecture/seminar, you didn't get the answers.

Of course, you can technically buy all the books, but that's a total waste of money; if you're paying £3,225 for an education, make the most of it. Lecturers give human answers not just a paragraph, so useful if you don't understand something. They're much more likely to help you if you've been to the lectures.

ReputationRep:
    I really like lectures. Despite astoundingly minimal revision, I got a 2.1 in my second semester (first overall for the year) probably because I attended most of my lectures...

Nothing funny or interesting has ever happened in them, though

ReputationRep:
    This resulted in the lecturer mercilessly taking the p out of him for 10mins
    Don't circumvent the swear filter, please.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.