Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Not really. I just expect adults to be capable of a modicum of tolerance and patience :dontknow:
    You've obviously never had one of those people in a lecture who EVERY SINGLE LECTURE will pick an argument with the lecturer 'what if this..' 'what if that..' 'actually i thought..' 'but how would you explain..' 'i was reading ahead and..'
    Oh my God most annoying thing in the world. It's amusing for a while but when it becomes a routine, the whole lecture theatre communally sighs when they see the hand go up and eventually the lecturer takes to pretending they hadn't noticed them at all.
    Boo hiss don't hijack lectures.
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    Don't circumvent the swear filter, please.
    :eyeball: Actually the word "piss" isn't blocked by the filter, so there was nothing for me to be circumventing. In real life I say "Take the pee" because I don't like using "piss" as a personal preference.
    (Original post by serendipity_*)
    You've obviously never had one of those people in a lecture who EVERY SINGLE LECTURE will pick an argument with the lecturer 'what if this..' 'what if that..' 'actually i thought..' 'but how would you explain..' 'i was reading ahead and..'
    Oh my God most annoying thing in the world. It's amusing for a while but when it becomes a routine, the whole lecture theatre communally sighs when they see the hand go up and eventually the lecturer takes to pretending they hadn't noticed them at all.
    Boo hiss don't hijack lectures.
    :yes:
    I think we don't get that because we have one to one supervisions where people can debate with the staff to their hearts' content, and also because people have a high respect for the lecturers (who are often world renowned experts on the topic) and wouldn't want to look like complete idiots by butting in with a potentially stupid point.

ReputationRep:
    I have to agree with the previous posters.

It's damn annoying to have one person hold up a lecture of 200 students because they ask a retarded question, or even worse, they try and "debate" with the lecturer. They need a good slap.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A lot have spoken about not going to lectures and learning from lecture notes put online... the issue arises, however, when said notes are only skeletal and you have to attend the lectures to annotate them and actually create a proper set of notes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    A lot have spoken about not going to lectures and learning from lecture notes put online... the issue arises, however, when said notes are only skeletal and you have to attend the lectures to annotate them and actually create a proper set of notes.
    Exactly.

If a lecture is 7 slides long with a few bulletpoints, you're not going to get full benefit looking over the slides are you?

These 7 slides will be explained and expanded on over the hour. You will miss a lot of content.

ReputationRep:
    I had a lecturer at MMU who decided to spend most of his time talking about how much he hated Richard Dawkins. Richard Dawkins is one of my heroes and I started an argument with him about it - we certainly didn't get round to Kierkegaard that day...

ReputationRep:
    You wanna try a four hour lecture at 9am on Friday mornings on classicism vs post-classicism. I do not know how I survived that for five months.

Oh yeah and if it is a rather lengthy lecture, bring a packet of M&Ms or something to stop your stomach rumbling, and to stop you from falling asleep. It works both ways

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    No, its not. Its a room full of around 200 people. Not a personal conversation for you and your lecturer. If you have a question, ask him at the end or in the seminar. Or email him. Don't stop him halfway through and bellow out a question from 12 rows back.

To the people doing this, no you don't look like a dedicated, enthusiastic student. You look like a *******. Your fellow students despise you. We couldn't care less about suggested further reading you have partaken in.

Just shut the **** up. Some of us have places to be and we don't need your boring, inane and utterly pointless questions delaying us.

hear hear...

Theres always one student in every lecture who asks a stupid question and takes the whol lecture off tangent when all you want to do is get out and get a epic cup of tea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    I had a lecturer at MMU who decided to spend most of his time talking about how much he hated Richard Dawkins. Richard Dawkins is one of my heroes and I started an argument with him about it - we certainly didn't get round to Kierkegaard that day...
    He's not that mental history lecturer, is he?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to agree with the "save your questions for the end" comment, because while it would be lovely to have a lively discussion between lecturer and 200 students, the reality is that the lecturer only has a certain amount of time to shoehorn a certain amount of info that we'll need to do the exam. So, really, unless it's a glaring problem (a wrong equation, or a misspelt word etc), it can wait until their consultation hours, a tutorial, or after the lecture.

Besides, in my experience, a significant number of people asking questions in lectures are just being frustratingly pedantic and trivial, asking questions that could easily be answered in any standard textbook - and all that ends up happening is 10 minutes is wasted while the lecturer goes over a load of theory until the person finally understands.

Well, that's my university's system, anyway. Lectures are basically there for us to be talked at for an hour (and maybe answer a couple of questions the lecturer throws at us), and then we have seminars based on the work we do in lectures, in which we can ask whatever questions we want and have a proper discussion about things. If that's not enough, then the lecturers also have consultation hours as well (not to mention taking the initiative and ploughing through some textbooks).

As for a funny story, at the start of the year, a law student ran into a law lecture, completely naked, waving batteries and yelled "TORT!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    He's not that mental history lecturer, is he?
    No it was Philosophy...can't remember his name, I was only there for 3 months!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mamooshka)
    You wanna try a four hour lecture at 9am on Friday mornings on classicism vs post-classicism. I do not know how I survived that for five months.

Oh yeah and if it is a rather lengthy lecture, bring a packet of M&Ms or something to stop your stomach rumbling, and to stop you from falling asleep. It works both ways
    WTF... how? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    A guy came dressed in a corset and a long skirt and hugged the lecturer, she went bright red. The same guy dressed up as an elf in first year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londonboym)
    Oh wait, a kid was once sick in a lecture. That's about the best of it.
    That's nothing, a girl had an epiletic fit in one of mine and the lecturer TOTALLY spazzed out! She didn't have a clue what to do. Mind you, in the same situation, I wouldn't have known what to do either, but it was sort of funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    i like it when people ask about coursework, cos then they go over it, then i can see where i am right or wrong

OP depends on the uni and the lecturer by they do put the lectures up online, all mine do, life saver when it comes to exam time

so my arts friends say their lectures are more of a outline of stuff, giving the min you need, so you have to go look other stuff more detail

you can have a fun with some of the question people ask, when your in a chemistry lecture, and someone asks what a isotope is :erm:
    :eek: What uni do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    :eek: What uni do you go to?
    essex :p:

to be fair a lot of biology people, have to take this chemistry lecture as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robinson999)
    to be fair a lot of biology people, have to take this chemistry lecture as well
    Erm. I'm sociologist and I know what an isotope is. Biologists also ought to know really, from further reading. I'm pretty sure its not in their A level, although isomers are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Isotope is definitely in A-Level Chemistry. Or at least it was in OCR.
    Nope. I meant that it wasn't on the A level Biology syllabus. Obviously it was in Chemistry.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Nope. I meant that it wasn't on the A level Biology syllabus. Obviously it was in Chemistry.
    I just realised that as I posted it. :o: Obviously I wasn't quick enough in deleting the post. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    I just realised that as I posted it. :o: Obviously I wasn't quick enough in deleting the post. :p:
    Happens to me all the time :cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.