Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It's officially allowed for about 3? nights I think.

ReputationRep:
    3 nights per......?

ReputationRep:
    There has always been a thread with a similar topic some weeks before. They said that you have to inform the reception and then they are allowed to stay 3 consecutive nights but not longer. If you dont inform the reception you will be fined.

ReputationRep:
    I can't find the links I have posted previously for this - it is usually contained in the contract outline, i.e. the info about all the hall rules.

In general, I don't think having people to stay is a problem unless:
    - it happens all the time
    - it happens for 'long' periods of time
    - it interferes with your room-mate or flatmates
    - you don't sign your guests in, if this is required
    - you don't take responsibility for your guests (e.g. you let them cook pasta in the kettle, or set off the fire alarm repeatedly by incinerating their toast)

Although it is probably worth following the rules and notifying the right people, you can almost certainly have a friend stay for, say, 4 nights, so long as it's not a regular occurrence and you've checked it's ok with the people you live with. The rules that are in place are mostly, as far as I have been able to tell, to keep things 'reasonable' - i.e. you don't let psychos in who will destroy university property, and don't abuse the contract by letting 2 people permanently reside in a space allocated for 1 person.

ReputationRep:
    Rules aside a flatmate last semester may or may not have had a mate living on his floor for the entire semester...

ReputationRep:
    I am almost 100% certain that the guy living across from me in McIntosh had his g/f living with him for the majority of the year. Dodgy....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    Rules aside a flatmate last semester may or may not have had a mate living on his floor for the entire semester...
    (Original post by chester.)
    I am almost 100% certain that the guy living across from me in McIntosh had his g/f living with him for the majority of the year. Dodgy....
    :woo: :eek: :woo: :eek: These are exactly the kind of things I think the rules are intended to help prevent :p: shocking, shocking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    :woo: :eek: :woo: :eek: These are exactly the kind of things I think the rules are intended to help prevent :p: shocking, shocking
    Socking perhaps, a great way to reduce debt it is.

Going halves on a room in DRA seems like a great plan to me.

ReputationRep:
    Until you get caught and kicked out ;(

ReputationRep:
    The problem with me was, although me and the other half both lived in McIntosh last year, he practically moved into my room - he just used his for studying, heh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImperceptibleNinja)
    - you don't take responsibility for your guests (e.g. you let them cook pasta in the kettle, or set off the fire alarm repeatedly by incinerating their toast)
    and what's wrong with cooking pasta in the kettle?

ReputationRep:
    how often do first-years get a single room? my boyfriend will be visiting me every once in a while and even just in terms of space... it would really inconvenience a room mate

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on which hall you get assigned to.. they have different ratios of double:single bedded rooms, so find out which has the biggest ratio of single rooms and put it as a little note on your form that you'd like to live there. No guarantee though.

Also for example, if you put self-catered on your form, less than 2% of these rooms are shared. En- suite catered, less than 10% are shared. But if you end up in sallys, there's more shared rooms than single.

Overall I'd say you have a good chance of getting a single room, and can increase the chance with your application form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackout_in_the_red_room)
    Just wondering if you are allowed to have visitors stay over night in your room at uni?
    yes! nobody checks

ReputationRep:
    In DRA last year it certainly wasn't a problem, neither was it in McIntosh. From the reports of others, Sallies and Regs are both ok as well.

ReputationRep:
    ...yep Uni Hall was fine with visitors staying over too..tbh ever checks

ReputationRep:
    I stayed in Andrew Melville for a week, twice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cogito-ergo-sum)
    how often do first-years get a single room? my boyfriend will be visiting me every once in a while and even just in terms of space... it would really inconvenience a room mate
    gaah i got a twin room, in McIntosh, which was my FAVORITE HALL I wrote a super nice email to accommodation, but my chances are probably slim... right?

ReputationRep:
    gaah i got a twin room, in McIntosh, which was my FAVORITE HALL I wrote a super nice email to accommodation, but my chances are probably slim... right?
    Of getting a single room instead? I would say the chances are quite slim It sounds like the university has wee'd on your fire already, but I'm sorry for joining in with the wee-ing.

I am pretty sure that if you plotted a graph of the single:twin room ratio against the age of accommodation buildings, it would show a strong correlation. First years really only have a good hope of getting a single room if you go for quite recent (Read: expensive or ugly :p: ) accommodation.

If the university can't offer you a single room just now, then it's worth being positive about sharing a room, and trying it. If it turns out to be hellish, you can apply for a room transfer.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm fraid to say it's pretty unlikely! The old halls that are in the town tend to be majority shared rooms, and thus, any single rooms will go to returning students or students who actually have a reason for needing a single room (ie disability or whatever). If you were wanting an old hall and a single room, you'd have been better to maybe mention it on the form, uni hall would have been your best bet as it has a new wing which is pretty much all single rooms, yet it's still in a hall with many traditions, and beautiful wings...

Good luck though, but I wouldn't get your hopes up!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 15, 2009
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.