Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay , so i have been given OPAL GARDENS at victoria park . My all options were at city .

The reason is while doing my undergrad degree at some other uni , i had briefly stayed at halls which were located about 2 kms from uni . I had lot of issues. I understand that OPAL GARDENS are for pg only. I am pg.

now OPAL GARDENS at victoria park in the map looks like one seperated building . Being a international student i was hoping to be put at city campus halls since most of international students go there .

I am postgrad student and my options were weston , george , opal hall . All on city campus.

Also the fee for opal gardens is the highest compared to the en-suites for the ones i selected.

My problem with opal gardens is thats
    1) Its seperated one building away from other halls . Security issue??

2) Its away from campus 1.6 kms .

3) Away from city centre and supermarkets .

4) Much costly .

Please advice on how should i go about ?
    Also if anyone has lived there or living , pleae give me info and correct me on things that i not correct as per your experience .

I am very sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omega_001)
    Okay , so i have been given OPAL GARDENS at victoria park . My all options were at city .

The reason is while doing my undergrad degree at some other uni , i had briefly stayed at halls which were located about 2 kms from uni . I had lot of issues. I understand that OPAL GARDENS are for pg only. I am pg.

now OPAL GARDENS at victoria park in the map looks like one seperated building . Being a international student i was hoping to be put at city campus halls since most of international students go there .

I am postgrad student and my options were weston , george , opal hall . All on city campus.

Also the fee for opal gardens is the highest compared to the en-suites for the ones i selected.

4) Much costly .

Also if anyone has lived there or living , pleae give me info and correct me on things that i not correct as per your experience .

I am very sad
    Right, even if you lived in city centre campus, chances are you'd be in normal campus anyway for actual uni so you'd have a walk anyway. Victoria gardens is very close, it's like 10/15 mins walk, same as it would be from city centre campus (obv depends what building you're in).
    All halls are separate buildings, I assume you're taking the map/pics too literally. Halls are separate from one another. There isn't a security issue there.
    It's not away from city centre or supermarkets at all. Realistically you're away from supermarkets too in north campus. Buses are literally every minute in manchester, so getting to the cityh is no problem whatsoever.
    The only issue you can possibly get it changesd for is the money issue, but with you being PG I'm not sure how much weight that would carry...

Please try not to worry, it looks bad until you get there and you realise how compact and easily accessible everything is in Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply.
    I dont have any choice now . Guess , i will move in the room and then ask for a change if i dont like it . But then , there is no gurantee for getting a new room .
    Well untill i go there , can't really be sure about the place.
    Hope i get good flatmates !

ReputationRep:
    PoisonDonna is precisely right, and I'd like to add that as I lived in City Campus in first year, I have first hand experience of the fact that you are miles from a decent supermarket (much closer in VP) and since the buses go all the time, it doesn't matter that you're a 20 minute bus ride from the city centre. I barely went there at all in 1st year.
    VP is nice, you'll like it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks thatwhichiam . The thing is my last university was 2 minutes from major supermarket and city centre was 10 mins walk . Thats why i was just bit disappointed in getting VP. I have seen opal gardens , it does look pretty nice and also 400 postgrad students live there and most are international , so it should be good.
    Fingers crossed though !

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Are you still in OPAL gardens or you want to move. Some peaple want to move from OPAL hall which is in the city campus, but they are moving from female-only accomodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omega_001)

4) Much costly .

I am very sad

Hi Omega, I am in pretty much in the same position that you were in last year. So I was hoping to get some info from you regarding your stay at Opal Gardens. I am an international student myself from India and was hoping to get into Weston or Lambert/Fairfield but got Opal Gardens instead!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.