Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Games and consoles from hong kong/China? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking around for a nintendo Ds lite and I've noticed on ebay most of the ones available are from hong kong. Also they seem a little bit cheaper then from an English shop. It's the same with games, although in the description it says these games are English and work on all DS consoles.

Are these scams or something? I can't imagine they are since some of them seem to be power seller companies and I assume the charger works in the UK since that seems to be their target country on some of the auctions.

I like the dragon red style Ds lite but I can't find any stores here with them, but on ebay you can buy them from these hong kong sellers. Also pokemon platinum is like £12 new from hong kong sellers and it says it's in English.

ReputationRep:
    the ds is region free i got mine from india and the games work here. although i only tried brain training b4 i got a r4 flashcard.

EDIT: i cant guarentee the reliability of the ebay sellers but the products itself should work, the charger should be a UK charger if there selling it to uk customers but all u really need if its not is a simple adapter. be sure to check the feedback before you buy!

ReputationRep:
    I've bought a few cheap games from hong kong over ebay before and never had a problem with them, although obviously they took a while to arrive. So long as they have a good reputation you can be pretty sure they're safe

ReputationRep:
    hmm I might give it a go then, I suppose if anything goes wrong I should be ok if I use paypal.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine the products are cheaper to manufacture over there so they can buy them for cheaper and pass a little bit of that saving onto you. As long as you're sure everythin is legit, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    one thing though.

Most say this:

"item will be declared as "gift" to buyer. Buyer is responsible for any applicable import duty and local tac"

what's this all about then?:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I bought a ds from hk a few years back, and it never had any problem with games from the uk

ReputationRep:
    hmm be careful with ebay, you wouldnt want to pay alot of money for a pop station :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    one thing though.

Most say this:

"item will be declared as "gift" to buyer. Buyer is responsible for any applicable import duty and local tac"

what's this all about then?:rolleyes:
    Well anything over £18 in value entering the country could have a VAT + £5 charge put on it. If its a gift I think the threshold is £36 in value. I've bought a lot of items from the far east, Australia and the USA and I've only had to pay this charge twice so I would think the one off purchase would be very unlikely to be caught out by this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by div curl F = 0)
    Well anything over £18 in value entering the country could have a VAT + £5 charge put on it. If its a gift I think the threshold is £36 in value. I've bought a lot of items from the far east, Australia and the USA and I've only had to pay this charge twice so I would think the one off purchase would be very unlikely to be caught out by this.
    and so in your experience games and consoles from the far east do work in english?

It says it does come with an AC power thing and an adaptor based on which country you order from so hopefully it will come with a 3 pin recharger. If not they only seem to cost like £3.

I want to get pokemon platinum, you can get them boxed for around £10 from hong kong, says the text is english.

ReputationRep:
    hmm I might just take the risk and get one of these DS lite's from hong kong then, sounds like other buyers were happy with them.

ReputationRep:
    and so in your experience games and consoles from the far east do work in english?

It says it does come with an AC power thing and an adaptor based on which country you order from so hopefully it will come with a 3 pin recharger. If not they only seem to cost like £3.

I want to get pokemon platinum, you can get them boxed for around £10 from hong kong, says the text is english.
    I bought my DS lite from play asia which I believe is based in Hong Kong and it works perfect. Obviously the box and instructions are in Japanese and the screentext was before I changed it but apart from that it works exactly as it should. It came with the japanese power adaptor and a USB charger so I just use the USB to charge it up but I do have a 240V to 100-110V transformer so I could use the original power adaptor if I really wanted to.

The only problem with the games from abroad maybe that they won't work exactly as they should on Nintendo WiFi because they might think they are still in that particular region whereas they are actually in Europe; I haven't tried a foreign game on European WiFi so there is the slim possibility for a problem to occur. But the game itself will definitely work as the DS (and gameboy) is region free unlike the home consoles.

Quite a lot of famicom and super famicom games have english screentext so even they are quite playable for the non-japanese speaker as long as you have a step down transformer and AV connections on your TV.

Hope this helps in some way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by div curl F = 0)
    I bought my DS lite from play asia which I believe is based in Hong Kong and it works perfect. Obviously the box and instructions are in Japanese and the screentext was before I changed it but apart from that it works exactly as it should. It came with the japanese power adaptor and a USB charger so I just use the USB to charge it up but I do have a 240V to 100-110V transformer so I could use the original power adaptor if I really wanted to.

The only problem with the games from abroad maybe that they won't work exactly as they should on Nintendo WiFi because they might think they are still in that particular region whereas they are actually in Europe; I haven't tried a foreign game on European WiFi so there is the slim possibility for a problem to occur. But the game itself will definitely work as the DS (and gameboy) is region free unlike the home consoles.

Quite a lot of famicom and super famicom games have english screentext so even they are quite playable for the non-japanese speaker as long as you have a step down transformer and AV connections on your TV.

Hope this helps in some way.
    thanks a lot.

So if I bought one off ebay I'd need some step down transformer? It says on the description "AC power adapter ( 3 Pin for United Kingdom ) x 1"

do I need something else too to charge it up via the mains then?

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot.

So if I bought one off ebay I'd need some step down transformer? It says on the description "AC power adapter ( 3 Pin for United Kingdom ) x 1"

do I need something else too to charge it up via the mains then?
    If it says that then I would of thought it includes all the kit you need but if it didn't work you could always buy a DS charger from GAME for £5 - £10, or a 100W transformer for ~ £10 - £15 but this is a much bulkier item than the normal charger and a bit over kill.

ReputationRep:
    I bought Demon's Souls from hong kong on ebay all english text and voice acting apart from the manual and case

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.