Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Facebook: "let us predict your bffs/crush/future spouse..." Watch

ReputationRep:
    The applications which predict your crushes, best friends, future spouses and the like - I was just really curious, does anyone know how these work? They seem a little bit privacy-invading if I'm honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    The applications which predict your crushes, best friends, future spouses and the like - I was just really curious, does anyone know how these work? They seem a little bit privacy-invading if I'm honest.
    I'm 99% certain that they just select people randomly. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kexy)
    I'm 99% certain that they just select people randomly. :yes:
    I thought I'd do one - it's summer, I'm a little bored - and it predicted my "best friends". Bizzarely, the top 3 it chose are pretty much my best friends. Maybe I just think it's less random than it is (like people do with horoscopes) but it made me think they were looking at my facebook profile or something. But, probably not...

ReputationRep:
    I thought they just worked out who wrote on your wall and stuff the most? For the friend ones anyway because for most people I know it was accurate.

ReputationRep:
    well i no this is going to sound well sad but i think that somehow them facebook application things are right, i mean i did one saying what is the initial of your next boyfriend and it came up with J and now im seeing someone called jack

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    I thought I'd do one - it's summer, I'm a little bored - and it predicted my "best friends". Bizzarely, the top 3 it chose are pretty much my best friends. Maybe I just think it's less random than it is (like people do with horoscopes) but it made me think they were looking at my facebook profile or something. But, probably not...
    I did one of the crush ones, the person who it put as the best prediction is someone who I know for a fact wants to get into my pants. Slightly creepy :p:

ReputationRep:
    It said my cousin was my #1 crush.... :facepalm: It looks like it bases it on visits.

(Original post by teshla^^)
    It said my cousin was my #1 crush.... :facepalm: It looks like it bases it on visits.
    :rofl:

Incest FTW!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisha.doshi)
    :rofl:

Incest FTW!
    She is a model....but ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

ReputationRep:
    the crush one was creepily accurate. well one of them im pretty sure he likes me, we only talk on facebook chat, he never writes on my wall, so its pretty weird how the crushbot thing knew lol. and im not the only one who's said this

ReputationRep:
    As a counterbalance to people saying it was accurate; when I did it, it came up with people who I actually never talk to, and haven't since primary school (i'm going into U6) :stupid:

ReputationRep:
    Hang on folks, I've got a theory (at least for the best friends one) that it tallies how many photos you have been mutually tagged in with friends. Two of my best friends were inaccurate but this is because I'm tagged in lots of photos with them since we went on a trip together, and I looked at the different amounts of photos I've been mutually tagged in and it makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JW92)
    Hang on folks, I've got a theory (at least for the best friends one) that it tallies how many photos you have been mutually tagged in with friends. Two of my best friends were inaccurate but this is because I'm tagged in lots of photos with them since we went on a trip together, and I looked at the different amounts of photos I've been mutually tagged in and it makes sense.
    I think that's right, makes sense for the one I did.

ReputationRep:
    It got my friends pretty much, but the crushes one (except one) was totally out! The tagged photos thing sounds feasible.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.