The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

who's been assigned their accommodation then :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
jessyfantastic90
business and management with marketing. I am kind of worried about how mathmatical the course will be sinec I haven't done maths since GCSE and I don't want to struggle.

It is not very mathmatical :smile: im in my third year doing business management acocunting and 1st year there isnt much mathmatical stuff going on. Even the accounting module isnt too bad. !st year all business people will be doing the same modules, regarless if you have chosen marketing, general, accounting etc. It is only in ur 2nd year that you split up with everyone when you go down each seperate pathway :smile:
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
annie12188
It is not very mathmatical :smile: im in my third year doing business management acocunting and 1st year there isnt much mathmatical stuff going on. Even the accounting module isnt too bad. !st year all business people will be doing the same modules, regarless if you have chosen marketing, general, accounting etc. It is only in ur 2nd year that you split up with everyone when you go down each seperate pathway :smile:

thanks for that! So what kinds of mathsy things did u do?
Reply 42
In accounting if its 50% cw 50% exam, you may need to calculate ratios in the cw and analyise trends by creating graphs to certain answers and then commenting on them. To calculate the ratios for example you will be given end of year accounting (balance sheets, profit and loss accounts) and then use the numbers from there.
Other things you may end up coming across is pretty simple like cash flows, trial balances etc... I know you may not know all this now bt just giving you a heads up :P lol.. Thts all in accounting and the others are mostly all evaluating and commenting on stuff and essay based. :smile: hope that kinda helped. If you have any other questions feel free to ask
El Torres
Looks like im going to be joining through clearing (needs to be confirmed on monday). What places do people recommend?

Preferably the one that is the best for being sociable and meeting lots of people.

Edit: after some research ive found that en suite is the best as you also share a big kitchen meaning im more likely to meet people, good stuff. Just want to know which one is the best out of all of them? Which is closest to the campus?

thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

It's a campus uni they are all close :wink:
ohemmacharlotte
im next to the kitchen...i dont see it as a good thing...i see it as a very bad thing lol. getting to sleep is going to be awful! :tongue:

Lol if you are a fresher it doesn't matter whether you live next to the kitchen or not there is gonna be hella noise especially on a wednesday night. Oh you also have the fire alarm.
Reply 45
Charlski
Staying at home WILL mean you will miss out on a lot of the social side of things. I would always advise living away from home, although not necessarily in halls - this year (my second year) I'm living in a house in Ealing (not with friends, with people with jobs because they're quiet at night!) which is much nicer than halls.

Eventhough living on campus/outside home will result in getting more loans.. while living at home would leave me with quite a bit of money. What im saying is, is the loans worth it for the experience you will have by living out of home and in halls?
Reply 46
hassan90
Eventhough living on campus/outside home will result in getting more loans.. while living at home would leave me with quite a bit of money. What im saying is, is the loans worth it for the experience you will have by living out of home and in halls?

I think so, really. I would hate to live at home, even though my parents are not in the least bit restrictive. I just love the independence and also the feeling of inclusion.
Reply 47
jessyfantastic90
what kinds of things are u guys gonna decorate your room with???

Photos! And an American flag my mum and sister got me when they went to Hawaii.
Reply 48
JSS16
Photos! And an American flag my mum and sister got me when they went to Hawaii.

Just be very careful with sticking/pinning things up - they get a bit arsey about any damage done by sellotape/blu tack/pins, and you risk being punished for it. What I did was to tape photos to my wardrobe, which tape easily peeled off without any damage whatsoever and of course pinned things to my noticeboard. Don't stick/pin things to the walls.
Reply 49
how long would it take clearing students to be accommodated?

i had my place confirmed on saturday, and i know that clearing students are not guaranteed campus accommodation but what are my chances of getting ensuite since I must have one of the early clearing places and I really want an ensuite room!
Reply 50
Charlski
Just be very careful with sticking/pinning things up - they get a bit arsey about any damage done by sellotape/blu tack/pins, and you risk being punished for it. What I did was to tape photos to my wardrobe, which tape easily peeled off without any damage whatsoever and of course pinned things to my noticeboard. Don't stick/pin things to the walls.

Aye I have thought about that. I got a cork board for my photos, but I only realised later that the board has to be pinned to the wall :facepalm: so I'm not sure what to do there.

How often do they check if you've put holes in their walls?
Reply 51
JSS16
Aye I have thought about that. I got a cork board for my photos, but I only realised later that the board has to be pinned to the wall :facepalm: so I'm not sure what to do there.

How often do they check if you've put holes in their walls?

All the rooms I've ever been in at Brunel already have a cork board built in.

They send cleaners round once a month to do the bathrooms in the ensuites, who are basically, as far as I could work out, largely employed not to clean, but to report any misdemeanors to the hall warden. They also do inspections, and check at the end of the academic year. It really is just not worth the money you will be told you have to pay if they DO find any damage that wasn't there at the beginning of term.
My room is just next to the kitchen. Do u think it will be noisy there?
Reply 53
olivier10101
My room is just next to the kitchen. Do u think it will be noisy there?

Short answer, yes. However the flats are so abysmally un-noise proof that the whole flat will be loud if there's something going on in the kitchen. It's better than being next to the main flat door, though.
Charlski
Short answer, yes. However the flats are so abysmally un-noise proof that the whole flat will be loud if there's something going on in the kitchen. It's better than being next to the main flat door, though.

I'm next to the kitchen too....as in doors are opposite to eachother.

Not looking forward to the fire alarm if it's outside my door :eek3:

If anyone is interested...I'm Bishop Hall, Flat 9, Room 9...:smile:
Reply 55
DougyatBrunel
I'm next to the kitchen too....as in doors are opposite to eachother.

Not looking forward to the fire alarm if it's outside my door :eek3:

If anyone is interested...I'm Bishop Hall, Flat 9, Room 9...:smile:

There are alarms in the rooms themselves. There definitely was in mine in Fleming.

I wouldn't worry about the fire alarms too much - there will be a few at the beginning of the year (until people realise that by setting them off, they make themselves REALLY unpopular. This doesn't take long) and a test for a few seconds once every week. Other than that they don't go off much at all.
Reply 56
hey,
was just wondering when you get accommodation if you go through clearing???:s-smilie:
Charlski
There are alarms in the rooms themselves. There definitely was in mine in Fleming.

Thats even worse! lol :frown:
Reply 58
Ive come through clearing and just been offered this accommodation, Accommodation: Room 29 Staircase P Clifton Hall Brunel University UB8 3PH

Clifton Hall any good?, whats its reputation like?
hassan90
Ive come through clearing and just been offered this accommodation, Accommodation: Room 29 Staircase P Clifton Hall Brunel University UB8 3PH

Clifton Hall any good?, whats its reputation like?

Clifton Hall is standard accomodation

Quick Reply

Latest