Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    heres my 1st thread..I've done a search on the forum and i think my case is unique. Hope to keep the thread "clean" as possible incase future visitors view this thread it would be easy for them to extract the answer.

ok...my main question is..is it worth me applying for medicine despite my low grades?

I have done a BSc [2:2 hons] and an MSc[Pass] at top London Unis, both in Neuroscience and I am in my final year PhD Neuroscience. I have about 1 years clinical work experience in hospitals but my grades worry me and so do the dreaded GAMSAT/UKCAT tests

So is it worth me applying?
    What are my chances of obtaining at least an interview?
    Do i need to take entrance exams?
    Should I apply to the 5 year instead of the 4 year course to better my chances?
    Which unis would be most leniant towards me?
    Do you know of any people who are in a similar situation to me?

any comments would be most welcomed
    Many thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cortex286)
    Hi everyone,
    heres my 1st thread..I've done a search on the forum and i think my case is unique. Hope to keep the thread "clean" as possible incase future visitors view this thread it would be easy for them to extract the answer.

ok...my main question is..is it worth me applying for medicine despite my low grades?

I have done a BSc [2:2 hons] and an MSc[Pass] at top London Unis, both in Neuroscience and I am in my final year PhD Neuroscience. I have about 1 years clinical work experience in hospitals but my grades worry me and so do the dreaded GAMSAT/UKCAT tests

any comments would be most welcomed
    Many thanks in advance!
    sorry to be nosy, but how much debt are you in after all that?

+how did you get onto a master program with a 2:2?

ReputationRep:
    There are always exceptions and it is harder to make 'rules' for candidates who have higher levels education but without a 2i or a first in your bachelors you are extremely unlikely to be a competitive candidate.

You could apply to five-year courses but your A-levels will need meet the current requirements for most places.

I know one person who is in a similar position who I consider quite lucky to have received a single interview in three years of application.

ReputationRep:

Totally Tom: Yes that is a bit nosey and unrelated to the thread. Next time PM with such irrelevant questions. Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    There are always exceptions and it is harder to make 'rules' for candidates who have higher levels education but without a 2i or a first in your bachelors you are extremely unlikely to be a competitive candidate.

You could apply to five-year courses but your A-levels will need meet the current requirements for most places.

I know one person who is in a similar position who I consider quite lucky to have received a single interview in three years of application.
    I thought having a masters and PhD would play heavily into the candidates favour? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    I thought having a masters and PhD would play heavily into the candidates favour? :confused:
    It does, but if you still fail to meet the minimum requirements...

ReputationRep:
    ^^^do ALL GEP's ask for a 2:1?
    And do ALL 5 year courses ask for a 2:1?
    I assume by minimum requirements you mean a 2:1?

ReputationRep:
    I thought if you had a Masters with a merit they wouldnt mind about your original Bachelor. That's what KCL said at their open day this week anyway. UCL seem to take alot of mature students - so maybe it's a case of ringing around the Unis and seeing what they say. That's the easiest way to get the most accurate information on such a rare case.

ReputationRep:
    Notts & Georgies may accept a 2ii with good GAMSAT IIRC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    It does, but if you still fail to meet the minimum requirements...
    Good point. OP, contact all the med schools you're interested in and tell them your situation. Although your academics aren't as bad as you make out otherwise they wouldn't have let you do a PhD would they?

ReputationRep:
    With a very simple google search, this can all be found...

Graduate entry courses (i.e. 4 year):
    http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11

Standard courses (i.e. 5/6 year):
    http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=12

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex D)
    Good point. OP, contact all the med schools you're interested in and tell them your situation.
    Or in first instance - make sure you've read the freely available information about requirements & typical competition?
    Mine specifically say on the website not to contact them directly to ask about individual chances unless there really is something very unusual/uncertain:

(Original post by University of Oxford - Graduate Entry Medicine)
    http://bmra.pharm.ox.ac.uk/FTProsp14.html

Will you look at my curriculum vitae now and tell me whether I stand a reasonable chance of success if I apply later in the year?

No. Please don’t ask us to do this. The decisions about admissions are made at admissions time by a panel of college tutors and faculty tutors, and they work to the selection criteria that are published on this web site. You already have all the information you need to decide whether you are a suitable candidate for the course. We really can’t give advice in advance on individual cases, except (as indicated above) if there is genuine doubt about the suitability of a particular degree.
    So Oxford selection criteria: http://bmra.pharm.ox.ac.uk/FTProsp12.html
    & also on that Commonly Asked Questions page are questions about:
    - How can I know whether I meet the minimum standard to be guaranteed a place on the course?
    - How do you balance my academic achievements with my other strengths in making decisions about selection?
    - Do I need a first-class degree?

To get more of an overview about options as a graduate & what different schools require try: http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=77 perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    somehow i dont think ill be applying to oxbridge :-\

I hear stories from friends that St.Georges and Peninsula dont really ask postgraduates to take the GAMSAT. Is this true?

I would really love to know which uni's would be best for me to apply to.
    I think all the GAMSAT ones ...maybe? Which are "easiest" to get into? I know none are easy to get into, but maybe the "least competitive" for someone with my academic background.

Ive been on http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/ thousands of times and could probably recall the tables from memory now. I guess I joined this forum for some "real life" feedback from peoples experiences and knowledge, rather than looking at statistics.

Let me know your thoughts people!...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Notts & Georgies may accept a 2ii with good GAMSAT IIRC.
    no, they do accept a 2ii. i also got just 1 mark above the cutoff for georges and notts and got a place at both. its quite clear in their admissions stuff that if you score above the cutoff that you are guaranteed an interview, pass the interview and you're in. as long as your degree is above 2ii then they dont care about the academics.

op - yes you should apply if you want to. have you got work experience? my application profile if on page 5 (i think) of the profiles page. i had a 2.2 and got offers, yes i had to sit gamsat but it really wasnt that bad. nottingham, st georges, and peninsula are the 3 courses who will accept you with just the 2.2. with your phd you get more choices, i dont know which unis but some state that they will take a 2.2 with a phd (kings i think). make sure you scour the unis websites well, you will be amazed at how much info you can find hidden in the deep dark depths of a med school website! (it really helps if you have a boring job with access to a computer!!)

ReputationRep:
    ^^^^Awesome-fantastico! whats the link to your application profile?
    have u got places? where did u apply? tell us a bit of your background..

Yes I have work experience..about 80hours clinical, tonnes of Lab experience and 1.5 years as a medicial secretary for consultants (no jokes please...the pay was awesome lol)

Yes i have some "spare time" during experiments so ill do some lurking on the web.
    If ive got some Q's is it okay if i PM you?

Keep the responses coming in people, really wana hear about your experiences!...

ReputationRep:
    As to whether you should try to apply or not, I'll paraphrase Tennyson: 'tis better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    With a very simple google search, this can all be found...

Graduate entry courses (i.e. 4 year):
    http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11

Standard courses (i.e. 5/6 year):
    http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=12
    Wow, unless I have read wrong; you can have a 2:2 in any degree with no Chem/Bio A Levels and do Medicine?! Pretty lenient imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arnie Pie In The Sky)
    Wow, unless I have read wrong; you can have a 2:2 in any degree with no Chem/Bio A Levels and do Medicine?! Pretty lenient imo.
    There are more important things than grades. Well, to the less academically orientated universities anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I hear stories from friends that St.Georges and Peninsula dont really ask postgraduates to take the GAMSAT. Is this true?
    No! :confused: You have to get a certain score in the GAMSAT to get an interview. Therefore you can't get an interview if you've not sat the GAMSAT! Don't listen to rumours, read the website.

I think all the GAMSAT ones ...maybe? Which are "easiest" to get into? I know none are easy to get into, but maybe the "least competitive" for someone with my academic background.
    Imperial would be hard to get into if you didn't have a high UKCAT score and a 2.1 from a good uni, in a science subject.
    St George's would also be difficult to get into if you got 45 on the GAMSAT (therefore no interview) or you had no work experience (you would therefore score 0 on their work experience scale, which they openly post for all to see on the website and use to judge who gets an offer when it comes to interview).

If you've read medschoolsonline a thousand times you should KNOW which universities you fit the requirements for, and therefore which ones you should consider applying to. You should go to some Open Days and look round to see which you like.

I guess I joined this forum for some "real life" feedback from peoples experiences and knowledge, rather than looking at statistics.
    Asking for 'real life' feedback from people who aren't admissions tutors is fine if you're looking for opinions on the life at the university and information about what people enjoyed about the course. People on TSR are not going to be able to tell you whether you'll get in or not! Up to the point where it becomes a lottery, it is up to YOU whether you stand a good chance, because you are the one who can make your application as good as it can be. You have asked people which universities you should apply to, which in effect comes down to you asking people to tell you what to do. How do we know what type of course you will enjoy and where in Britain you want to live?

So is it worth me applying? - do you really want to be a doctor?? If yes, the answer is obvious.
    What are my chances of obtaining at least an interview? - Do you meet the entrance criteria stated on the website? If you haven't managed to look at those yet, I'll just look inside my crystal ball and compare my superior knowledge of your personality with those of all the other applicants this year...
    Do i need to take entrance exams? - if you've read medschools like you say you have, you should know this.
    Should I apply to the 5 year instead of the 4 year course to better my chances? - can you afford the 5 year? DO you want to do the five year? How would you feel about studying with 18 year olds again? If all concrete decisions still elude you, you can apply for a mixture.
    Which unis would be most leniant towards me? - read the entrance requirements and see if you meet them. Also don't understand what you mean by 'low grades' - you mean your 2.2?
    Do you know of any people who are in a similar situation to me? - I'm afraid as a recent graduate I don't, but now for some slight more helpful stuff I hope
    /end any sarcasm with apologies, it's been a long working week.

Although I would imagine a PhD being more scary, I can understand your trepidation over taking the UKCAT and the GAMSAT. The latter in particular is a pretty scary exam and you have to put some effort in otherwise it's not really worth the expense. However, the important thing is not to get hyped up in the rumours and internet panic, and to just sit down with some A Level science books and make sure you know your stuff. Would you be planning on 2010 entry? Because if so, you need to sign up for the GAMSAT by 14th August or you have to pay a £50 late fee. It's not too late to start learning stuff for it at all (despite the guff some people spout about needing 6 months to preprare!), but if you are planning on '10 entry you will need to make some decisions. I understand you want opinions, everybody does, but ultimately we could tell you one thing and the admissions tutors might say another for any number of reasons. The best way to decide is for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arnie Pie In The Sky)
    The GAMSAT is a day long examination with three sections. Section 1 tests your reasoning, Section 2 is essay writing and Section 3 is Reasoning in the Sciences, which requires knowledge of A Level Chem, Physics and Bio to get a decent mark. It is also scored in a way that helps eliminate any luck from guessing.
    Universities that asked for a 2.2 minimum also ask for the GAMSAT.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 22, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.