Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cortex286)
    ^^^^Awesome-fantastico! whats the link to your application profile?
    have u got places? where did u apply? tell us a bit of your background..

Yes I have work experience..about 80hours clinical, tonnes of Lab experience and 1.5 years as a medicial secretary for consultants (no jokes please...the pay was awesome lol)

Yes i have some "spare time" during experiments so ill do some lurking on the web.
    If ive got some Q's is it okay if i PM you?

Keep the responses coming in people, really wana hear about your experiences!...
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1&postcount=57

no jokes about med sec - i think they are ace!! seriously - people think that the nurses are the ones to suck up to but its the secretaries who can get you further. all it takes is a box of biscuits and being able to use a dictaphone properly! (i work with lots of med secs, my mum is/was one - good people! )

yes its fine if you want to pm me, i am a little lazy when it comes to replying so if i dont get back to you then remind me!

ReputationRep:
    LatinMachine...awesome post!
    Some good home truths sent my way..I like the bluntness too, gets straight to the point. I'll do some thinking and research now and if i have any further questions i know where to ask! thanks again!

If anyones in the same situation as me, academic-wise, or knows of a situation similar to mine..please DO add your comments below!!

ReputationRep:
    I also have a BSC and a Phd but both are in engineering. I have about 3 years work experience and applying for 2010 entry. Preparing for both GAMSAT and UKCAT. I don't see a problem with having a phd and applying to med school. In the US it is very normal because to gain entry into medicine one requires a first degree.

ReputationRep:
    There were 5 of us with PhD's/D.Phil's in my year.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone pls give me some advice on whether ozimed test papers are good for revision. I have the ACER's test papers but would like to get some more practice in the gamsat. I don't want to invest any money in crash courses by the way. Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    ^^wrong thread

ReputationRep:
    Why is it? People who have posted on this thread have spoken about GAMSAT (aka G R I M S H A T) - some have sat it. It might be better as a new thread, but nothing is ever wrong thread here

ReputationRep:
    ^^^wrong thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    There were 5 of us with PhD's/D.Phil's in my year.
    What happened to them? Why did they leave?

ReputationRep:
    They didn't - we're all qualified [medical] doctors now I'm just saying having a doctorate doesn't make you that special - yes it's unusual, but by no means unique so don't worry that people (i.e admissions, lecturers etc) won't know what to do with you, because they've seen it several times a year.

Good luck with your future career aspirations - I've never regretted the povity of study and being a doctor is a real privilege.

ReputationRep:
    we are all special

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cortex286)
    Hi everyone,
    heres my 1st thread..I've done a search on the forum and i think my case is unique. Hope to keep the thread "clean" as possible incase future visitors view this thread it would be easy for them to extract the answer.

ok...my main question is..is it worth me applying for medicine despite my low grades?

I have done a BSc [2:2 hons] and an MSc[Pass] at top London Unis, both in Neuroscience and I am in my final year PhD Neuroscience. I have about 1 years clinical work experience in hospitals but my grades worry me and so do the dreaded GAMSAT/UKCAT tests

So is it worth me applying?
    What are my chances of obtaining at least an interview?
    Do i need to take entrance exams?
    Should I apply to the 5 year instead of the 4 year course to better my chances?
    Which unis would be most leniant towards me?
    Do you know of any people who are in a similar situation to me?

any comments would be most welcomed
    Many thanks in advance!
    Yes it's worth applying. A PhD in Neuroscience is very rigorous (assuming you can do patch clamp, do confocal, or may be even use FACS etc.), and especially if you wish to do academic medical research, you're a very strong candidate. I will have a Bachelors, Masters and a PhD before I start my clinical training.

ReputationRep:
    There is a guy in my year who has just finished a Phd in Immunology. If he can do it you can.

ReputationRep:
    I have a 2.1 Bsc in anatomy and hoping to apply for 2010 entry. ukcat was 545 so im edgy to say the least about applying to anything other than 5 year courses.

In your case, a lot of universities are adamant that you have the minimum requirements, GCSE(if applicable for grads) A levels (chem etc) and in the case of your further qualifications to at least 2.1 level (most unis only accept your FIRST degree, so your 2.2 may be frowned upon even with the phd).

However it is neuroscience (shows advanced knowlegde of a subject that is very hard to grasp in the first instance), this may help you but academia is only part of the story, your character couts for alot (statement), but all in all choose unis carefully and if requiremnts seem vague contact them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    Yes it's worth applying. A PhD in Neuroscience is very rigorous (assuming you can do patch clamp, do confocal, or may be even use FACS etc.), and especially if you wish to do academic medical research, you're a very strong candidate. I will have a Bachelors, Masters and a PhD before I start my clinical training.
    You're on the MB/PhD program? Whats it like if you don't mind me asking?

We have a similar kind of idea run through in 8 years although I don't know anyone on it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    COMP GENIUS

do u have an email address?

Yes i do Patch clamping joy!
    What is your field of research? Where r u studying?

Im worried about my 2:2 in BSc
    and Yes i want to go into academic medicine..or at least i will say this at interview(!)

would be good to chat to you if possible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidewinder959)
    I have a 2.1 Bsc in anatomy and hoping to apply for 2010 entry. ukcat was 545 so im edgy to say the least about applying to anything other than 5 year courses.

In your case, a lot of universities are adamant that you have the minimum requirements, GCSE(if applicable for grads) A levels (chem etc) and in the case of your further qualifications to at least 2.1 level (most unis only accept your FIRST degree, so your 2.2 may be frowned upon even with the phd).

However it is neuroscience (shows advanced knowlegde of a subject that is very hard to grasp in the first instance), this may help you but academia is only part of the story, your character couts for alot (statement), but all in all choose unis carefully and if requiremnts seem vague contact them!
    thank you for comments sidewinder
    much appreciated

KEEP THE POSTS COMING GUYS, WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ALL YOUR THOUGHTS!...

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I know this is an old thread but...did you get in at the end? Did you have any problems?

I am in a similar situation, though I have a 2.1 instead of a 2.2. Still, my A-levels weren't great and I am 26 and still have another 2 and a half years to go in my PhD.

Ideally I will like to apply to Imperial as I know they aren't biased by your A-level results and they have an amazing medical school.

Anyways, if you get to read this, I will love it if you could tell me about your experience throughout the whole thing. Thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 22, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.