Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I am an unsuccessful 2009 Medicine applicant hoping to reapply in 2010.
    I've carried out a lot of research on university views on resits. I am worried I may have missed the grade in biology, and by resit I mean to resit one or two modules.

However every university I have spoken to bar 3 do not accept resits AT ALL. Therefore I am very confused. I'm pretty sure there are crash courses for a 3rd Alevel year to get into medicine.

What do you do if you miss the grades are you FORCED to do a degree you don't want to do to reapply as a graduate . Any info would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You might as well wait to see what your grades are.

If you miss the grades you are not FORCED to do a degree, arguably this is one of the worst things you could do.

ReputationRep:
    I got offers from Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool & Southampton and was only rejected by Manchester for Business Studies (no doubt an oversubscribed course)
    Im pretty sure Oxford or UCL would reject a resitter...but Im certain you can still go to a good uni and do most courses after resitting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steadyg)
    I got offers from Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool & Southampton and was only rejected by Manchester for Business Studies (no doubt an oversubscribed course)
    Im pretty sure Oxford or UCL would reject a resitter...but Im certain you can still go to a good uni and do most courses after resitting!
    For ***** sake! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steadyg)
    This is a medicine thread in the medicine forum. Medicine admissions is very different to that of many other courses and hence resits are much more of a problem for medics than they are for other students.

This explains Renal's reaction above...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    You might as well wait to see what your grades are.

If you miss the grades you are not FORCED to do a degree, arguably this is one of the worst things you could do.

ok true- I probably should wait and see my grades- i'm just a little anxious and want to be prepared for every outcome.

But... i don't see any other option other than to do this degree...there is no other way to medicine that i can see. is there ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wannabeamed)
    But... i don't see any other option other than to do this degree...there is no other way to medicine that i can see. is there ?
    You could resit your A-levels, you just have to be careful about where you apply to. Remember that poor A-level grades can affect graduate entry applications and remember that GEP programs are far more competitive than normal entry.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if Universities have changed their policies, but I am a resitter for this year (due to ext. circumstances) and I received offers from UEA, Newcastle & Peninsula. UEA generally accept resits whatever the circumstances, but you must get AAA at resit. Similarly, Keele and Sheffield both require AAA at resit.

Depending on your grades, Peninsula might be a good one to apply to as a resit candidate. They state that their typical offer is ABB, so if you have already achieved that then you're in good stead and could hold an unconditional offer by Jan. of next year.

Feel free to PM me if you want any more advice
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Wannabeamed)
    ok true- I probably should wait and see my grades- i'm just a little anxious and want to be prepared for every outcome.

Hey

I'm in your position too.

Well our options are

1. Miss Grades - Retake and reapply to the universities who take re applicants.

2. Apply for a Widening Access Course (if you meet the socio-economic and or geographical requirements.)

3. Take another degree apply as a graduate.

But im kinda hoping for at least AAB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    Hey

I'm in your position too.

Well our options are

1. Miss Grades - Retake and reapply to the universities who take re applicants.

2. Apply for a Widening Access Course

3. Take another degree apply as a graduate.

But im kinda hoping for at least AAB
    That isn't how it works. You don't just go "oh **** i missed my grades i'll apply for a widening acess course." There are a number of non academic criteria that they consider alongside your grades, and many people who are predicted AAB apply for these courses first time round, not just as a back up. If you do not meet the non academic criteria you can have as many A's as I have in my sig and you will not get in. I don't want people thinking this is some backdoor route for people to get into medicine because it shouldn't be.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Sarky)
    That isn't how it works. You don't just go "oh **** i missed my grades i'll apply for a widening acess course." There are a number of non academic criteria that they consider alongside your grades, and many people who are predicted AAB apply for these courses first time round, not just as a back up. If you do not meet the non academic criteria you can have as many A's as I have in my sig and you will not get in. I don't want people thinking this is some backdoor route for people to get into medicine because it shouldn't be.
    I can apply and i do meet the criteria.

I never said that was a missed grades option anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    I can apply and i do meet the criteria.

I never said that was a missed grades option anyway.
    You weren't just referring to yourself, you were also referring to the OP. If you both meet the criteria then fine but i'm assuming that you don't know the OP's circumstances, and I don't want people to assume that widening access courses are what you apply for when you don't get the grades, which is what your post suggested.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Sarky)
    You weren't just referring to yourself, you were also referring to the OP. If you both meet the criteria then fine but i'm assuming that you don't know the OP's circumstances, and I don't want people to assume that widening access courses are what you apply for when you don't get the grades, which is what your post suggested.

Fair enough, my initial post was misleading.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.