The Student Room Group

Do job sites really help young people like me?

I'm in desperate need of a job, back in May I gave out CV's to retail stores in the hope I'd get a summer job. Well its already the middle of summer and no luck. I turned 16 in January and current finished my secondary education and really need money. I've turned to job sites which supposably really help. I've joined to, jobsite.co.uk and reed.co.uk. Both of which doesn't really target what I'm looking for, which is just a simple retail job, or am I not looking right. Tell me of other sites that help young students like me, or advice on what I should be looking for on these jobsites or if I should pack it in.
Thanks
inretail.co.uk is a retail job site, might help
Reply 2
No they're useless tbh, full of spammy jobs and the real ones tend to be management/career type jobs. Also there seems to be LOADS of jobs for live in nannies and stuff but other than that, they're pretty crap for part-time work. Jobs.ie (irish site) is awful, you put in your location and 80% of the jobs are for other places!
Reply 3
Best advice I can offer - don't use the internet for part-time jobs.

I'd say that really you don't stand a chance of getting a job just for the summer now - it's too late. I'm in a very similar position to you (I do have a job though its very few hours a week and I desperately need something else) and I have no hope.

If you want a part-time job (i.e. not just for summer), go to the nearest place where there is some sort of "mall" for lack of a better word - i.e. McArthur Glen Designer Outlets - and there will be a list of vacancies either online or at the customer information desk. Then go to the actual shop and give them your CV. Places often want to see the person who is wanting a job!
Reply 4
lottie12
go to the nearest place where there is some sort of "mall" for lack of a better word

... a shopping centre
as i discovered, people who have connections with pubs/hotels and stuff like that are the ones who manage to get jobs. job sites = utterly useless.

just applied for a job, am losing hope but hoping this will work as my brother has put in a good word for me to stop me thinking about JSA...
Reply 6
TOSCS
... a shopping centre

That's it!!

Well, don't I feel idiotic now.
All the shopping centres near me advertise jobs on their websites, including part time and weekend ones so you could check out websites of shopping centres. Also try the websites of shops near you, especially the larger stores (for example, Boots, Debenhams, WH Smith, Topshop etc.) as they also tend to advertise jobs on their websties as not all companies sign up to job-hunting/cv sites.
Reply 8
Polka_Dot_Queen
All the shopping centres near me advertise jobs on their websites, including part time and weekend ones so you could check out websites of shopping centres. Also try the websites of shops near you, especially the larger stores (for example, Boots, Debenhams, WH Smith, Topshop etc.) as they also tend to advertise jobs on their websties as not all companies sign up to job-hunting/cv sites.

yeh ive tried majority of the companies website, i really would like to work for sainsburies but everytime i check there is no vaccencies and i actually went to customer services but they redirected me to the website to, luckily my friend told me about a vaccancy at waitrose and i sent an application through. also inretail.co.uk it may be about retail shop but is it usual or is another jobsite/reed.co.uk?? thanks for the replies by the way
kozy342
also inretail.co.uk it may be about retail shop but is it usual or is another jobsite/reed.co.uk??

I have looked at inretail.co.uk before and they do tend to advertise "usual" jobs. Previous times I have searched I have found customer service advisor jobs for places like Currys, Iceland, Bhs etc. However it doesn't seem to have many jobs for sales assistants/customer service advisors etc. as it tends to be more focused to management or specific retail careers (i.e. merchandising, buying etc.)

Latest

Trending

Trending