Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm not sure I'm attracted to my boyfriend... Watch

.. but he's a lovely person. The thing is, I find it hard because I find little things about him irritating. When he laughs he has a spasm and almost falls over and he also doesn't wash much. He also is very unkempt. I want to know how I can sensitively suggest that he calms down and washes regularly.

He's really sweet and we get on well.. he just.. pongs a lot!

:s

Anyone else have this problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    .. but he's a lovely person. The thing is, I find it hard because I find little things about him irritating. When he laughs he has a spasm and almost falls over and he also doesn't wash much. He also is very unkempt. I want to know how I can sensitively suggest that he calms down and washes regularly.

He's really sweet and we get on well.. he just.. pongs a lot!

:s

Anyone else have this problem?
    have baths/showers together...

Or buy him some Lynx...

Or instigate water fights / push him in a river

the showers together thing
    also maybe buy him some nice aftershave or whatever for his birthday/xmas and whenever he uses it make a point of mentioning how great he smells. encourage him to make an effort subtly and when he does, always remark on it and how good he looks or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Give him an ultimatum. Say if he doesn't wash himself regularly (i.e. a bath/shower once a day), you will not have sex with him or engage in any other sexual related behaviour with him.

Works all the time :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Just be like,
    "God I can smell BO... is it me or you?"
    Sniff around him and pull a face?

ReputationRep:
    Pongs along OP? lol

You can't change your attractiveness to him just like that, what attracted you to go out with him in the first place.

(Original post by Gibb~)
    Pongs along OP? lol

You can't change your attractiveness to him just like that, what attracted you to go out with him in the first place.
    He's very warm & caring. He's also sexily intelligent.

I like his insides.. I'm sad I'm not very attracted to his outside.

I want to be.. is it possible to become physically attracted to him?

ReputationRep:
    He's very warm & caring. He's also sexily intelligent.
    but did he catch your eye appearence wise?

(Original post by Gibb~)
    but did he catch your eye appearence wise?
    No... but I like aspects of his looks. I really like his insides... I wish I was more physically attracted to him.

ReputationRep:
    No... but I like aspects of his looks. I really like his insides... I wish I was more physically attracted to him.
    Thing is he can change his appearence right now which could possibly make you attracted to him physically, buy him some mens fraerances and get him some hair wax/gel

(Original post by Gibb~)
    Thing is he can change his appearence right now which could possibly make you attracted to him physically, buy him some mens fraerances and get him some hair wax/gel
    I think he'd be offended and tell me to take him as he is.. I understand this.. but I hate how unattracted (physically) I am to him. I'm so pissed off with the situation... because honestly I really love his company and his mind etc.

ReputationRep:
    ew
    really, tell him to shower!

ReputationRep:
    Does he have a sexy liver? :coma:

:p:

Ahem, yeah - I get the same about my boyfriend to be honest. Sometimes he'll be lazy one night and not clean his teeth and then he'll try and kiss me in the morning and I'll literally just say "not until you've cleaned your teeth, you have morning breath ". Which sounds really mean but it's horrible if someone smells bad and you can't face kissing them even when you want to

You could suggest that you really like [insert name here] cologne and it'd really suit him. Or, sometimes if my boyfriend's being lazy and having a day just lounging around in his boxers but then wants to go somewhere or for me to give him a cuddle or whatever and he hasn't showered, I'll just gently tease him and say things like "Have you showered today? Right, come on stinky" and I'll go for a shower with him. (I don't do it as meanly as that sounds :p:)

Same with aspects of his appearance - he's quite stubborn about it but I'm just honest about the way I prefer him to look. Most girlfriends have preferences, just like a lot of men do (when they can be bothered, haha). Suggest hairstyles you think would suit him, get him some clothes you think he'd look good in, etc.

Little things add up over time I think, just generally try and encourage him in small ways to be a bit more clean and make a bit more of an effort with his appearance.

It's not like you're trying to change who he is, just make things a bit more pleasant physically. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    When you first met him did he still smell bad ?
    I mean it's meant to be human nature to immediately be put off someone that smells bad.

(Original post by Iron Mask Duval)
    When you first met him did he still smell bad ?
    I mean it's meant to be human nature to immediately be put off someone that smells bad.
    Yes...

ReputationRep:
    You keep saying how much you like his personality but you aren't sure about his looks...maybe he's best as just a friend for you if you aren't actually attracted to him?!

ReputationRep:
    Erm. Isn't a major part of a relationship is if you find one another attractive. Not just physically but mentally and emotionally also?
    If you no longer are attracted to him, why the heck are you with him?
    Hasn't anybody told you life is too short!?

ReputationRep:
    If you're sure that you would fancy him if it weren't for these things then take him aside and be honest with him. Most people would be horrified if they knew they smelled and want to change it. If you don't think these things would make a difference then perhaps you're better off as friends.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.