Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

I am taking a year abroad as part of my uni course. I have just got into a relationship and we are about 3 months in. I really like him, and we have a lot of fun together, he said he will visit me and that our months apart from eachother will be ok.

However, is this so? Will it work? I have been told to 'dump' him before i go, which will save thoughts, worries, expensive calls etc. Im just a little confused.I feel that I will miss him when i am out there, and won't be interested in meeting other guys. I just want to concentrate on learning the language and doing other things out there. Will it really ruin my year out being in a relationship?

Would be nice to know what people think

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... i reckon you should give it a go! I'm sure you can get really cheap calls, and there's msn and webcam chat and all that- so surely you guys can stay in touch? Besides, if he has promised that he will come and visit you- thats a good sign isn't it!?

No-one on here can say if it will work or not but in my humble opinion, it might even fizzle out of its own accord. Even so, i reckon you should give it a go! Otherwise you might always ask yourself, "what if?"

Sorry am a bit tired and seem to be rambling but yeah, thats my thoughts!

Im going on mine in a few months and my GF of over half a year dumped me saying that it wouldnt work out. Completely torn up by it and wish she hadnt done it to me... She says that now i can have a new start when i go abroad but i dont want a new one

Only thing is that because it was done now i may recover before i head out and then ill be fun to be around. So my advice is, if you are to leave do it now and not days before you leave or when you get there. You dont want to be miserable and angry when you are to make new friends *Hugs*

ReputationRep:
    I think you should give it a go and see how it works out. I wasn't with this guy but I was really interested in him and was worried about leaving. It's been a month and I'm fine cos I have so much to do every day I don't get that bogged down with feeling sad.

ReputationRep:
    omg I am in the exactly the same situation. Dating a guy for 3 months as well.
    We will be staying together

ReputationRep:
    Get skype =] no more expensive calls =]
    and come down to the LDR, we're there for moans, upsets, happiness..everything.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm just finishing my year abroad - 5 more weeks to go! Me and my boyfriend had been together for just under a year when I left and had always been kind of long distance - 3 hours apart because of Uni.
    Skype is your best friend! Webcam chats for free Also, is there an Easyjet/Ryanair airport nearby? Book flights early while they're cheap and have a date to look forward to
    It is hard. I was upset and home sick of course to start with, and he felt a bit left out because he didn't know any of my friends there. But its very doable and you should definitely try.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, really opened my eyes - and you don't think that having a boyfriend will ruin my fun on the year abroad no? I mean to have fun isnt just about meeting guys right?! There is so much other stuff to do out there! A part of me is worried that when i get back, we decide for some reason to split, and that i may regret that i didn't enjoy my year as much because i was in a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    im in the same situation, although ive been with my boyfriend for about 10 months. im petrified about what will happen, he keeps reassuring me that he will be waiting for me when i get back and will tlk 2 me loads on skype, but im worried about what will happen when im not here. who will he meet? what will he get up to?, i trust him with my life, but its that doubt which i think a lot of people who are abroad and have left their partners at home will have. im sooooooo worried about saying bye to him at airport, im going to be a nervous wreck!!!! arrgghhh xxx

so my boyfriend and i have been together for 7 months and he's doing a year abroad in Canada which he leaves for in about 5 months, he says that its probably best for both of us not to be together and to a certain extent i agree as we'll both be jealous and we'll probably start to resent each other. He said that he still wants to keep in contact but I don't know how much of a good idea this is, of course I love him and want to but I don't think it'll allow me to get over him (not that i want to get over him). We said that when he's back, we'll see if we both want to get back together but right now I just wish I knew that we will, do you think this is possible or am i being delusional? Also i keep worrying about him going away that i cant seem to enjoy the last few months we have together, we spend quite a lot of time together that next year will be strange with him not around, i'm really lost as to what to do and need some advice..i really don't want to break up with him but at the same time i know its the right thing to do...AHHH i'm so confused, HELP!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.