Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Here's the story:

I had a colonoscopy recently. As I was coming round from the sedative, a nurse gave me the results of it. All that was said was that I don't have ulcerative colitis, and she gave me a sheet of paper saying I have a "edematous mucosa proximal sigmoid", and that an appointment with a consultant will be made soon.

I know all I can really do it wait for the consultant appointment and listen to them explain to me what it is and give me some definite answers, but in the meantime I'd appreciate it if some medics/people who've had one of these before could shed some light on what the hell it actually is/what could cause it.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Oedematous just means swollen, so that indicates a level of irritation to the walls of your bowels.
    Proximal sigmoid just means the top bit of your sigmoid colon which is like the end of your large intestine.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh thanks!

So could that be caused by Crohn's disease or a food allergy? Sorry about all the questions, I know I should really wait to see a consultant instead of asking strangers on TSR but it's nice to be told whats going on

ReputationRep:
    Lol, thats ok. If it were Crohn's then it's likely there would have been signs of that too on colonoscopy, though it depends on the type of colonoscopy you have, as Crohn's tends to be higher up the large intestine(though it can be patchy all over) and not all colonoscopes reach that far up!
    Not sure about the food allergy either I'm afraid. Oedema is a pretty common finding I'm sure and it doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong at all!

ReputationRep:
    Haha don't say that! I've been waiting for years to be diagnosed with something so I almost want it to mean something's wrong just so I can get treated!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.