Turn on thread page Beta

Terrifying Journeys watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've just been on the most terrifying bus journey of my life.

There were only three of us on the bus, and the other two people got off before me. A short distance before my stop, the driver swerved off the route, and proceeded to take me on a ten-minute high-speed joyride around narrow residential roads, swerving around various corners and almost crashing on a few occasions. I'll admit it was stupid of me, but I was terrified so didn't say anything - I eventually thought to text my best friend and explain the situation.

My best friend phoned me, and asked me questions to which I replied 'yes' and 'no' - one of which was 'Do you know where you are?' just as I saw the main bus station in the distance. However, the bus driver then drove straight past the bus station into a rough-looking residential area I didn't recognise and had never been to. I spoke louder on the phone, and the bus driver pulled up suddenly, and turned to me, saying 'Did you want the bus station?', I said yes, and he said 'Oh, well I couldn't get in, it was blocked'. He opened the door for me, and I got off, shaken. My friend then had to use Google maps to direct me back to a place I recognised.

I've also got swine flu, and had left work early so this was clearly not great for my health. I'm throwing it open to you lot whilst I calm down, though - who here has been on a terrifying journey, on public transport or otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    I hope you're reporting the driver :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    You should have infected the driver with swine flu.

Sorry. Get better soon

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    On the way back from my placement today someone was getting off the bus, the driver closed the doors on her and had already stated pulling off. :lolwut:
    Yours sounds worse though, I went on a bus that took a totally random route from it's usual once. Was strange.

ReputationRep:
    Reporting the driver has proven difficult. The bus company have a phone number on their ticket, but it leads to a dead line. I e-mailed Preston council to see if they could help, and they've very kindly forwarded my e-mail to a completely different bus company... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Got a bus in Cornwall and the driver was going about 70mph down these little country roads, when he braked I was thrown off my seat onto the floor. He was also playing Motorhead etc at full blast. Was slightly scary.

Also on our school bus once, this weird woman got on and started yelling at people to sit down, and then started hitting people who didnt. We also had bricks thrown through the window couple of times, and a firework lobbed at the bus.

Oh and I was on a plane that got struck by lightning, that was a little disconcerting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddlers crossword)
    Got a bus in Cornwall and the driver was going about 70mph down these little country roads, when he braked I was thrown off my seat onto the floor. He was also playing Motorhead etc at full blast. Was slightly scary.

Also on our school bus once, this weird woman got on and started yelling at people to sit down, and then started hitting people who didnt. We also had bricks thrown through the window couple of times, and a firework lobbed at the bus.

Oh and I was on a plane that got struck by lightning, that was a little disconcerting.
    Wow. You've had your fair share of problems.
    I've been in a plane when the engine set on fire too; I imagine that was scary but I don't remember it too much now. :p:

ReputationRep:
    all i can say is lol
    apart from the fact that you have swine flu that's bad!! glad i dont have to use public transport anymore

ReputationRep:
    I went with my family to Poland in 2007 and we were travelling on the train from Warsaw (the capital) to Krakow (the touristy city). Me and my brother had young peoples cards which allowed us a cheaper ticket price. We had bought the tickets before we got on the train and the ticket person had explained that we were entitled to discounts etc because of these cards. So on the train the ticket man looks at our tickets and says sorry you didn't pay the right price and so we explain that we had because we have the young peoples cards and that the ticket person at the station had allowed it. The ticket man on the train was quite clearly the sidekick of the evil looking butch lesbian lady who was the manager and after being informed proceeded to argue with us and request more money or if not she promissed to stop the train there and then and throw us off in the middle of nowhere.

They went away for a while, had a little discussion and suddenly the train stopped in what was complete wilderness. I started to cry thinking they would throw us off and we would be completely stranded in the middle of nowhere and perish in some polish fields. It was actually really scary I'll have you know.:sadnod:

Then having stopped the train they started running down the carriages to the drivers cabin shouting 'cardiac arrest'. Not knowing at the time that that is what they were saying I thought 'erm this is an awful lot of trouble they are going to to get what was the equivalent of about £5 pounds'. I cried, all of us panicked for a while until it turned out the driver hadn't had a cardiac arrest but some poor soul had decided to jump infront of the train and commit suicide. We waited about and another train came, to top everything we had to jump of the trains, on to the tracks and on another train via the tracks. My poor granny tripped on the tracks and hurt her knee .

It was theee most traumatic journey ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Wow. You've had your fair share of problems.
    I've been in a plane when the engine set on fire too; I imagine that was scary but I don't remember it too much now. :p:
    I think being in a plane with the engine on fire tops all of mine, I'd be terrified! Think I just got used to mad things happening on/to our school bus: being a grammar school in the middle of a poor area makes you a bit of a target.

Hope you manage to report the driver btw he sounds like a loony!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elldee)
    I went with my family to Poland in 2007 and we were travelling on the train from Warsaw (the capital) to Krakow (the touristy city). Me and my brother had young peoples cards which allowed us a cheaper ticket price. We had bought the tickets before we got on the train and the ticket person had explained that we were entitled to discounts etc because of these cards. So on the train the ticket man looks at our tickets and says sorry you didn't pay the right price and so we explain that we had because we have the young peoples cards and that the ticket person at the station had allowed it. The ticket man on the train was quite clearly the sidekick of the evil looking butch lesbian lady who was the manager and after being informed proceeded to argue with us and request more money or if not she promissed to stop the train there and then and throw us off in the middle of nowhere.

They went away for a while, had a little discussion and suddenly the train stopped in what was complete wilderness. I started to cry thinking they would throw us off and we would be completely stranded in the middle of nowhere and perish in some polish fields. It was actually really scary I'll have you know.:sadnod:

Then having stopped the train they started running down the carriages to the drivers cabin shouting 'cardiac arrest'. Not knowing at the time that that is what they were saying I thought 'erm this is an awful lot of trouble they are going to to get what was the equivalent of about £5 pounds'. I cried, all of us panicked for a while until it turned out the driver hadn't had a cardiac arrest but some poor soul had decided to jump infront of the train and commit suicide. We waited about and another train came, to top everything we had to jump of the trains, on to the tracks and on the this other train via the tracks. My poor granny tripped on the tracks and hurt her knee .

It was theee most traumatic journey ever.
    :eek: I can imagine. Wow, that beats my joyride experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toddlers crossword)
    I think being in a plane with the engine on fire tops all of mine, I'd be terrified! Think I just got used to mad things happening on/to our school bus: being a grammar school in the middle of a poor area makes you a bit of a target.

Hope you manage to report the driver btw he sounds like a loony!
    I didn't see the engine on fire, so that reduced a lot of the fear. The was just clear sky out of one side of the plane, and 'clouds' out of the other, which turned out to be a large amount of smoke. Luckily, the plane was very near to landing anyway, so just sped up dramatically to make a more urgent emergency landing. It damaged the hearing in my left ear, but I don't remember being that scared...

As for reporting the driver, I can only hope that the other poor bus company that got my complaint can work out what to do with it.

ReputationRep:
    Should you have been on a public transport service if you know you have swine flu? :|

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I can imagine. Wow, that beats my joyride experience.
    Yep it was bad. Also sad to think but the person who committed suicide sort of saved our skin because it distracted them (the train people) from having a big old dispute with us and potentially throwing us off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xandertho)
    Should you have been on a public transport service if you know you have swine flu? :|
    No, but I didn't have any other option. I needed to get home.

ReputationRep:
    That's messed up, big time... Deffo report him!

PS, that sucks about the swine flu!

Reporting the driver has proven difficult. The bus company have a phone number on their ticket, but it leads to a dead line. I e-mailed Preston council to see if they could help, and they've very kindly forwarded my e-mail to a completely different bus company... :rolleyes:
    Just out of curiosity, what number bus was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    Just out of curiosity, what number bus was it?
    111. Any reason?

111. Any reason?
    Just wondering if it was one I've used, I've been on a couple that run near/through Preston.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.