Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Holding hands - locking fingers Watch

ReputationRep:
    I link arms/hold hands with friends, I would only lock fingers if we were together!

ReputationRep:
    I only lock fingers and stroke/squeeze etc with my boyfriend.

ReputationRep:
    I always held hands with my ex by locking fingers. It felt weird any other way, and in fact I didn't know it had more meaning until I came across this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Why would any one hold hands with anyone other than their partner?? Odd....

ReputationRep:
    I had no idea that locking fingers was more romantic! It's just holding hands...

ReputationRep:
    There's a hidden meaning in hand holding techniques O_o?

I didn't think of it as a big thing, I just hold hands with anyone however I feel like xD

ReputationRep:
    I always lock fingers, it's more comfortable imo. And I hold hands with someone sometimes if we're in a crowd or a club (girl pals usually) and sometimes with my best guy pal, who's gay. But I probably wouldn't hold hands with any of my other guy pals, coz I doubt my bf would appreciate it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    sometimes i hold hands with friends but i'm Italian and touchy feely enough as it is.
    i only lock fingers with my bf. it's finger-lockin' good!

ReputationRep:
    dude if you've been holding like that, you might want to get yourself checked...

ReputationRep:
    panaffle!!!!

fact: if youre more than about a foot or so taller than your girlfriend the size difference between your hands makes it physically impossible to lock fingers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Holding hands with friends who you don't have an intimate relationship with is plain strange.
    Nah it's not.

ReputationRep:
    OMG this is way too much analysis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dougie macks)
    I hate holding hands in general. For me, its wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am

Well, cut out the thank you bit. In all honesty, its me thats doing the girl the favour - she had the pleasure of being with me.

thread/
    Funny :curious:
    Finger locking usually implies more intimacy, so it's usually just for bfs/gfs.

But each to their own, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    You're thinking too much about things. Its holding hands for Christ's sake, I doubt the babies are on the way.

ReputationRep:
    Locking fingers I think is fine for anyone you feel really close to.
    I'd personally limit it to my best friend and boyfriend. Mostly my best friend and I will link arms, but she's the kind of person I'd lock fingers with just because I absolutely adore her and we're close.
    Everyone else though, if I had to hold hands I wouldn't lock fingers. Like most other people are saying it's an expression of intimacy most of the time and is mostly limited to whoever you're seeing, but I see it as fine if you're really close to someone generally as well.

ReputationRep:
    It's odd that such a big line is drawn between ordinary hand-holding and the interlocked-fingers variety. I view them as on a par, and would only do either with someone if I was very close to them. Or if they hand-raped me.

(Definition: 'Hand rape' - to have ones hand grabbed and held by someone else, without one having given permission or having made any positive action to lead to the situation. c.f. 'If looks could kill'.)

ReputationRep:
    I've always locked fingers with my boyfriend. If not, it just feels weird

ReputationRep:
    why are you anon OP?

ReputationRep:
    I sometimes hold hands with my female friends if we are for example in a crowd, trying to get somewhere and sometimes in a group walking along type way!!

And with one of my best male friends whos gay, we always lock fingers rather than hold hands, although ive never thought anything of it, he's just always done it when we hold hands.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.