Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi i am about to start year 12 but still havent decided what i really want to do at uni. I have some firm decisions in mind. i def want to do maths, further maths, chem and physics but as for the 5th choice, i am constantly swinging bt biology and economics.

i want to do either economics related or medicine related courses at uni but i dont know if you def have to do biology at AS level to do medicine, or must do economics to do finance related courses.

sorry for rambling, i just want to keep my options open, if you have been through similar dilemma, plz help. Thanks

I say biology, because I doubt you can do medicine without biology, and even if you can, I say it would be really helpful.

tbh, you don't need economics to do economics, however; further maths is better for economics - which is good as you're taking it.

so do:

maths
    further amths
    chemistry
    physics
    biology

ReputationRep:
    Do Biology as it can help if you intend to pursue a career in Medicine However is it really necessary for you to do 5 options?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just do 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I say biology, because I doubt you can do medicine without biology, and even if you can, I say it would be really helpful.

tbh, you don't need economics to do economics, however; further maths is better for economics - which is good as you're taking it.

so do:

maths
    further amths
    chemistry
    physics
    biology
    Kindly cease spouting rubbish.

Personally I'd suggested Economics - it shows depth, variety and isn't too difficult. The two are quite different, though, so you should go for whichever one you enjoy most.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah why not 4? Are you dropping two after AS or just one? Or you doing 5 in A2 aswell?

Also you already have two sciences up there, you should take economics, its a great subject!

ReputationRep:
    Not having biology will not reduce the number of medical schools you can apply to a great deal.
    Alot of them say that they want biology AS, or 3 sciences, or something to that effect.
    At more competitive schools though, you may be at a disadvantage if you don't have it.

There is a list on the TSR wiki of which medical schools ask for what specific A levels.

Economics isn't necessary for economics courses either, but again, at top universities you will be disadvantaged.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd leave physics out, if you want to do Economics/Medicine and do both Biology and Economics at AS. But out of the choices given, pick Economics. Even for Medicine apps I'm sure more variety is preferable to Maths, more Maths and three sciences.

ReputationRep:
    We can only take 4 at my sixth form then get "advised" to drop one subject. I suggest you consider biology as medical schools frown upon you if you dont have it.

ReputationRep:
    Just do four subjects, these subjects being:

Maths
    Further Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    The majority (not all, but you want lots of choice) of med schools want at least Biology AS.

Maybe swap Physics for Biology, then take Economics as a 5th AS if you really want to do 5? Having economics is very useful (at the least) for top unis. Check out TAELT in the economics forum, and also have a read of the medicine forum on here =]

ReputationRep:
    Whats wrong with Physics? Is it less useful than the other two sciences (regardless of what it is being used for)?

I was going to take it at A level :s

Or is it just because Physics isn't very relevant to what the OP wants to do?

ReputationRep:
    Biology if you're looking at medicine, I can't for the life of me work out why a medic hopeful would not choose bio.

However, perhaps Economics may favour a finance degree.

Work out what you really want before you decide. If you get stuck I'd say Biology as it's more complimentary to your other courses and does have a degree of essay-basedness (my board did anyway).

Would dropping Physics not be an option? That way you could slip in Economics, perhaps balancing your choices to a greater extent!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshphillips999)
    Whats wrong with Physics? Is it less useful than the other two sciences (regardless of what it is being used for)?

I was going to take it at A level :s
    Physics is probably harder than both Chemistry and Biology, this is coming from someone who did Chemistry and Biology at A level. That's probably evident by how much lower I've seen physics grade boundaries at compared to Biology but sometimes on equal terms with the chemistry ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    Physics is probably harder than both Chemistry and Biology, this is coming from someone who did Chemistry and Biology at A level. That's probably evident by how much lower I've seen physics grade boundaries at compared to Biology but sometimes on equal terms with the chemistry ones.
    Oh okay thanks. Its not the grades I'm worried about, it just seems like Physics is useless in comparison to the other two because everyone is saying to drop it and not Chemistry. But I guess it might just be because of what kind of degree he wants.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshphillips999)
    Oh okay thanks. Its not the grades I'm worried about, it just seems like Physics is useless in comparison to the other two because everyone is saying to drop it and not Chemistry. But I guess it might just be because of what kind of degree he wants.
    Physics I'd say is more respected than Biology but probably on equal terms with Chemistry depending on the degree. From other people's experience it'd probably be best to drop further maths because at AS you do 2 applied units while at A2 you only do 1. That technically means you get 2 chances to bump up your A2 maths marks since you can switch around your applied unit marks for further maths and add them to your normal maths A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    Physics I'd say is more respected than Biology but probably on equal terms with Chemistry depending on the degree. From other people's experience it'd probably be best to drop further maths because at AS you do 2 applied units while at A2 you only do 1. That technically means you get 2 chances to bump up your A2 maths marks since you can switch around your applied unit marks for further maths and add them to your normal maths A level.
    I agree. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with taking five, as long as you're very competent academically. You should find that two maths-related ASs will consume less of your time outside college than say something like history and English anyway. If you're considering medicine, then chemistry and biology are pretty much compulsary -- remember that the majority of med applicants will have 3/4 As inc. bio and chemistry, so competition will be tough.

If you can't make your mind up, then dropping physics may be the best option for you. It's probably one of the hardest A-levels you can do (much harder than bio and chemistry, in my opinion), but is rewarding in terms of content and the skills you acquire.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely take biology.

Because? Because if you want to do medicine later, you will need biology, but if you want to do economics later, maths and further maths will suffice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.