Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who devoted much of their life to education Watch

ReputationRep:
    What do you think of this kind of people? I mean your opinion or viewpoint towards them. People who spend most of their life studying their respective field. Although they spend most of their time doing it, of course they do or the normal things that other people do e.g sports, interact with other people. It's just that they 'like' to spend most of their time seeking knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    What about us? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    If they like to spend most of their time seeking knowledge I would respect them for it.

ReputationRep:
    OP, you do realise you're posting on TSR, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with that, OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newman24x)
    What do you think of this kind of people? I mean your opinion or viewpoint towards them. People who spend most of their life studying their respective field. Although they spend most of their time doing it, of course they do or the normal things that other people do e.g sports, interact with other people. It's just that they 'like' to spend most of their time seeking knowledge.
    And what's wrong with this? I think this is a good thing, dedicating time to gaining more knowledge in a field.

ReputationRep:
    normal things that other people do? haha

ReputationRep:
    Erm you mean academics right? Well it's just as valid a job as anything else.

ReputationRep:
    If they want to, then let them.

Without trying to sound too pretentious, the pursuit of knowledge is a noble goal.

Spoiler:
    Show
    That was rather pretentious...

ReputationRep:
    As long as they have a healthy balance, there's no problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    I want to be an academic/top uni lecturer.
    Bit of a steep aspiration though!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newman24x)
    Although they spend most of their time doing it, of course they do or the normal things that other people do e.g sports, interact with other people.
    I don't see why this is necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    And what's wrong with this? I think this is a good thing, dedicating time to gaining more knowledge in a field.
    This. What's wrong with learning? Academics interact with people as well, since they have collegues and whatnot. Do you have some kind of grudge against smart people, OP?

ReputationRep:
    If I have my way, I will never willingly leave university. I want to get a BA, then an MA, a Phd and then become a Research Professor for the rest of my life.

I accept that this is unlikely to actually happen, but it's the way I would like my life to go.

ReputationRep:
    Well its harder for a world to progress if everyone leaves school at 16 or 18 these days and gets a job.

ReputationRep:
    you called?

erm being sporty and intelligent are not mutually exclusive.
    I have 10 A*S and played for county hockey and netball !!

Education is your best ever investment and insurance policy, I wish that everyone can get that hammered into their heads. Get that piece of paper wit a good, sound qualification and hey, the world's your oyster.

(Original post by Indubitably)
    This. What's wrong with learning? Academics interact with people as well, since they have collegues and whatnot. Do you have some kind of grudge against smart people, OP?
    What do academics *specifically* do?

Anyways, to answer the question, at least they are doing something and contributing to R&D, in comparision to the people who can work but don't want to and just receive benefits.

They're better than I am.

ReputationRep:
    I respect them. They embrace the saying "You never stop learning". If you are passionate about a subject why should you ever stop learning about it? I'll personally keep learning about mine till the day I die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    They're better than I am.
    Hardly a feat to be proud of.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.