Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you get a wrong answer for a question and you have to use the answer in another question, do the marks get carried through or do you only get marks for the working?

ReputationRep:
    Depends slightly on the question and subject, but in general you get follow through marks for doing the right thing with an incorrect previous answer.

ReputationRep:
    It varies from subject to subject, primarily - and occasionally from level to level.

As a general rule though, if you have a multi-part question which guides you through, and you get the wrong answer to part of a question but then correctly use that answer as a component of an answer to a second part, then you'll get some (potentially zero) portion of the marks for the first part and, assuming everything else is correct, the full marks for the second portion.

That is, if you have a question that's something like:

A block is standing on a set of scales. [Various pieces of data]
    i. Calculate the mass of the block.
    ii. Calculate the block's density.

(In case you're a non-scientist, density is mass per unit volume.) You make a mess doing part (i) and get a wrong answer. However, in part (ii) you correctly use this mass and a volume to calculate the block's density. You would not get full marks for part (i), but you would for part (ii), regardless of whether your final answer for part (ii) is the same as the one you would get had you calculated the answer to part (i) correctly.

EDIT: Bah, that's why you shouldn't start a response, leave for food, then return an hour later to complete it! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, it was for physics, where I didn't look over my working and wrote down the wrong answer, hopefully I'll get the full marks for the second part at leaset

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, also if you dont know the first part and have no idea of how to do the working, just use a random number that makes the next calculation easy and use that number as your answer to the first part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nessiehibs)
    Yeh, also if you dont know the first part and have no idea of how to do the working, just use a random number that makes the next calculation easy and use that number as your answer to the first part.
    :rofl:

Be careful when doing this, though. Oftentimes in maths, you'll get marks for working even if only tangentially related, so long as it isn't judged to have substantially eased the question (e.g. in our AH maths prelim there was a graph sketching question where I appear to have had a brain-fart and simply invented a completely random function to sketch, but I still got most of the marks).

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.