Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yes...because running away from Chavs and climbing over fences requires no muscle power whatsoever...Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    Good for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edycal)
    Yes...because running away from Chavs and climbing over fences requires no muscle power whatsoever...Sigh.
    if OP had muscle power he wouldn't run like a pussy and beat them instead x

ReputationRep:
    They gym's great,
    especially when you walk out with that ''glow''.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_shift86)
    Awwwww, There are a zillion more exciting ways to get fit: eg running, climbing, swimming, team sports....don't you find going to the gym JUST to becoming physically fit a bit boring?
    I guess, but it's an easy way of doing it, not everyone has a jogging track or a climbing wall round the corner but most people have a gym. It's just convenient to be able to rock up for an hour and get a good variety of exercise done in that space of time, probably turns out pretty efficient in terms of getting fitter or losing weight or whatnot

As for the "no practical applications" thing, well, you DO build endurance and physical strength through gym training which can be practically applied to all the situations you mentioned :yep:

+ with a gym membership (at least where I go) you pretty much have free access to swimming, climbing, and all fitness classes so it's fairly worth it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    if OP had muscle power he wouldn't run like a pussy and beat them instead x
    ----^ THe truth!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edycal)
    You're missing the point! I do parkour, rock climbing and swimming and have enough muscle mass sufficient for running and climbing over fences, and have a developed a bit of skill from practice :p: ....having more muscle than you need is in no way beneficial. Some gym users who come to the climbing wall are so crap at climbing because they are bogged down by excessive muscle mass.

It's good to have everything in moderation - gym is just over the top is the point i'm making...i mean you build up muscle but there is no training for dynamicness etc...

ReputationRep:
    I agree, I do mountain biking and road racing and i went to the gym just to try something different. It sucked, got really sweaty with nothing to cool you down and the one tv in the place was playing ****** chav music, gggrrrr...

Also theres always someone on a exercise machine on the lowest setting not even trying but will still say to there friends that they "work out" and will get a McDonalds after wards to reward themselves for all there "hard work" they put in. Anyone else know the type?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ourlastmemory)
    I guess, but it's an easy way of doing it, not everyone has a jogging track or a climbing wall round the corner but most people have a gym. It's just convenient to be able to rock up for an hour and get a good variety of exercise done in that space of time, probably turns out pretty efficient in terms of getting fitter or losing weight or whatnot

As for the "no practical applications" thing, well, you DO build endurance and physical strength through gym training which can be practically applied to all the situations you mentioned :yep:

+ with a gym membership (at least where I go) you pretty much have free access to swimming, climbing, and all fitness classes so it's fairly worth it :p:
    cool - best reply so far, . You make many relevant points ...but i feel people should make time for a bit of fresh air instead of going to the gym out of convenience ...running in the park doesn't do anyone any harm

ReputationRep:
    You're missing the point! I do parkour, rock climbing and swimming and have enough muscle mass sufficient for running and climbing over fences, and have a developed a bit of skill from practice :p: ....having more muscle than you need is in no way beneficial. Some gym users who come to the climbing wall are so crap at climbing because they are bogged down by excessive muscle mass.

It's good to have everything in moderation - gym is just over the top is the point i'm making...i mean you build up muscle but there is no training for dynamicness etc...
    ye cos my daily life requires me to jump over fences

you had me confused with a show jumping horse

ReputationRep:

Well, then if you do all these things and you are happy with them then there is no reason to go to the gym unless you want to build more muscle mass. For instance, i go to the Gym because i don't have time to do all the things you mentioned above and i still get more or less the same muscle build. And besides, i'm only going to the gym in the first place with a healthy goal in mind, not for getting massively toned or something. Cheers.

ReputationRep:

You're obviously here to stir the pot and for a half-assed attempt at trolling... but I don't think you've thought your argument through all that well. If you had, you'd have realised how stupid you sound.

ReputationRep:
    There's a bit of a problem here, guys. The OP is comparing activities (swimming, climbing, parkour, sucking ****) to a place (the gym).

wut?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soutioirsim)
    I agree, I do mountain biking and road racing and i went to the gym just to try something different. It sucked, got really sweaty with nothing to cool you down and the one tv in the place was playing ****** chav music, gggrrrr...

Also theres always someone on a exercise machine on the lowest setting not even trying but will still say to there friends that they "work out" and will get a McDonalds after wards to reward themselves for all there "hard work" they put in. Anyone else know the type?
    haha! McD's after a work out - i do that sometimes :o: ...mainly cos i need to recooperate the energy i've lost in exercising. (unlike normal people i have a fast metabolism so i don't put on weight as fat thankfully!). When i go climbing i climb hardcore for 4-5 hours non stop without food so i'm totally shattered! - that is a workout ... none of this pussy **** in the gym with cushions and ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    ye cos my daily life requires me to jump over fences

you had me confused with a show jumping horse
    one day it may come in useful, and on that day you will think back to this post and realise what a douchebag you're being making up stupid insular remarks. Karma sucks and your time will come.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    You're obviously here to stir the pot and for a half-assed attempt at trolling... but I don't think you've thought your argument through all that well. If you had, you'd have realised how stupid you sound.
    TSR is full of gym going chavs....i need to get off the net and meet proper outdoor people - that's the only thing posting on this forum has made me realise. Chavs don't do outdoor pursuits - chavs do! At least I can say my hobbies and interests are not linked with pathetic chavs in anyway.

Carry on gyming and carry on doing chav stuff in your artificial "cool" training place.

You're all waste of spaces. If you were living in the stone age you'd be dead, that's for sure.

ReputationRep:
    I mean swimming is fun and useful
    This is a crazy concept but here goes...

Maybe people find lifting heavy weights and doing what other people can't fun?

Maybe people want to better themselves?

Maybe people need to be strong for their job/sport?

Maybe people just want to be fit and healthy so that they can get more out of life?

Maybe there's an element of injury prevention?

u can swim to safety if your boat is shipwrecked of if u fall off something into water etc.
    In 20+ years I've never been shipwrecked, I've never had to jump in and rescue anybody, I've never had to swim for my safety, etc.

Similarly if you can climb you can climb fences/trees etc to get away from tigers, crocs or chavs and people trying to kill you.
    You can build climbing strength in the gym and if you're big/strong people are going to be less likely to want to take you on.

I mean come on, u not going to lift a boulder in an emergency anytime soon so why train for it?
    You need strength to change the gas bottle for the central heating, or lifting the dog into the car, or moving the washing machine, or have fun with the Mrs, or loading a barn with hay and straw, or moving a 500+kg cow, or moving house, or fighting off a mugger or playing rugby...yeah strength and going to the gym is completely overrated!

IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY and time, and i'm NEVER going to go to a gym again!
    One less ignorant gym user makes it a more pleasant experience for me :top:

ReputationRep:
    I got asked this today and couldnt provide a decent answer

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    I don't :nopity:

ReputationRep:
    To lose weight, to help change my body shape, because I enjoy going spinning, I love the feeling after a 100% workout but I need to try & remember it so I actually go lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.