Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_ten)
    to gain complete control over the physical universe
    :p:

ReputationRep:
    Because it feels good to feel a little bit stronger than the average person and is a massive confidence boost.

(Plus i too am very ectomorphic would be very skinny it if i didn't work out.)

ReputationRep:
    With weight loss and confidence..I didn't feel good about my body before and now I feel better. Exercising also makes me feel happier and gives me more energy. I also work out now cos I am taking part in a race for life run in July so I need to make sure I'm definately ready to run the 5km.

ReputationRep:
    Wanted to get to a better size/cut. Still do. But i enjoy going for an intense workout. Love the feeling of heavy deads/squats in particular.

ReputationRep:
    what weight do you do bape?

I do 4 x 8 deads on 160kgs at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    So that I can kill people with ease.

Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soilman)
    what weight do you do bape?

I do 4 x 8 deads on 160kgs at the moment.
    Last back day included about 8-10 sets of deads (overdoing it you may say, but my routine is heavily focused around the "big" exercises).
    Pryamid'd it up, last time i went up to 130kg, for 6 reps, then removing some plates and push 110kg for 3/4 reps with no rest inbetween.
    Not that much, but bear in mind i only did 130kg's for last 3 sets so a bit tired already, was doing 100/110 x 8-10 before.
    Im sure i could go more, but i dont wear a belt when doing them and not sure about risking it for heavier weight without one.

ReputationRep:
    Someone mentioned doing a 5km 'race for whatever' soon. I'm doing the Manchester run in a week or so time. Yet, i'm tempted to take the foot off the gas pedal and take in what's going on, i.e. the attractions of Manchester, take in the atmosphere etc. I'm fit as it is, i don't need to prove to myself i can do a quick time, i know i could do. Don't get we wrong, i'll go relatively fast but at the same time i want to enjoy the day, enjoy the buzz from the crowd etc. I'm paying approx £26 for the run/experience and i want to milk it :cool: I'll probably take it easy and do it in 1hr, 55 mins at the fastest. Having said that, i always seemed to feel spurred on by crowds, be it playing tennis in front of 5-6 people or playing football when younger, in front of people watching so, meh...maybe i will feel tempted to go fast also and set an impressive time. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bape)
    Last back day included about 8-10 sets of deads (overdoing it you may say, but my routine is heavily focused around the "big" exercises).
    Pryamid'd it up, last time i went up to 130kg, for 6 reps, then removing some plates and push 110kg for 3/4 reps with no rest inbetween.
    Not that much, but bear in mind i only did 130kg's for last 3 sets so a bit tired already, was doing 100/110 x 8-10 before.
    Im sure i could go more, but i dont wear a belt when doing them and not sure about risking it for heavier weight without one.
    erm, a belt weakens your back...

deads kinda scare me too, but its fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soilman)
    erm, a belt weakens your back...

deads kinda scare me too, but its fun!
    Yeah, but i wouldnt trust my form if i went higher at the moment. I prefer not pushing so much but maintaining good form.
    Yeah its kinda annoying though when people stare at you when they see the loaded bar and you lift it, and the people that come and ask what i was doing:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I workout because I think it's natural for humans to do so.

Our bodies are the product of thousands (millions?) of years of evolution. In most of these years we were forced to fend for ourselves. Day in, day out we were forced to get our own food through labour. We no longer have to do this and I think without some sort of exercise simulating this, our bodies will not turn out as they've been developed to do so.

This opinion I have is somewhat a product of the first section of Starting Strength:
    Over and above any considerations for performance for sports, exercise is the stimulus that returns our bodies to the conditions for which they were designed. Humans are not physically normal in the absence of hard physical effort. Exercise is not a thing we do to fix a problem - it is a thing we must do anyway, a thing without which there will always be problems. Exercise is the thing we must do to replicate the conditions under which our physiology was adapted, the conditions under which we are physically normal. In other words, exercise is substitute cave-man activity - the thing we need to make our bodies, and in fact our minds, normal in the 21st century. And merely normal, for most worthwhile humans, is not enough.
    Inspiring.

ReputationRep:
    an interesting angle there :cool:

ReputationRep:
    my main reason to start running was because I was getting very tired, very easily from not doing much. it became a turning point when someone mentioned my sexual performance wasn't what it once was. Then I found a dress for our summer ball, but my waist was 2 inches too big to fit into it. SO it then became "loose 2 inches for the summer" in 2 weeks I lost an inch as I cut out all chocolate, chrisps, fat and sugar and ran 2 miles everyday. but now its stabilized, so I need to carry on working out to loose the next inch ...
    The other day I was looking at photos of myself from new year and I was quite big, my arms look huge!!
    I also want a stomach like J.Lo's ... hmmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    I joined because i am overweight, and i am sick of it. I started to get out of breath running up the stairs, and i realised that i was never gonna get a decent boyfriend looking the way i did. I hated looking at photos of myself, and i also hated going clothes shopping, it was always so depressing. It's been on the best things i've ever done..

ReputationRep:
    I exercise because I know I am weak at the moment, and I want to get stronger. One day I want to beat my boyfriend at arm wrestling, or at least make him sweat!

Also because exercise is a great stress busting technique.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    Someone mentioned doing a 5km 'race for whatever' soon. I'm doing the Manchester run in a week or so time. Yet, i'm tempted to take the foot off the gas pedal and take in what's going on, i.e. the attractions of Manchester, take in the atmosphere etc. I'm fit as it is, i don't need to prove to myself i can do a quick time, i know i could do. Don't get we wrong, i'll go relatively fast but at the same time i want to enjoy the day, enjoy the buzz from the crowd etc. I'm paying approx £26 for the run/experience and i want to milk it :cool: I'll probably take it easy and do it in 1hr, 55 mins at the fastest. Having said that, i always seemed to feel spurred on by crowds, be it playing tennis in front of 5-6 people or playing football when younger, in front of people watching so, meh...maybe i will feel tempted to go fast also and set an impressive time. :confused:
    Go for the win, dawg

ReputationRep:
    To look good and be competitive in sports.

ReputationRep:
    because i feel AWESOME after a hard gym session.

ReputationRep:
    To

A) Make me look more svelte for prospective husbands.
    B) Instill me with confidence in my body and thus confidence in general.
    C) Make me a better lover.
    D) Make me more fit and healthy which will hopefully enable me to live a wee bit longer.

ReputationRep:
    "The principle is competing against yourself. It's about self-improvement, about being better than you were the day before."

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.