Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I know she doesn't, because when I'm away at uni, she misses me, but it doesn't make her any nicer to me. It's just the little things...

She makes fat jokes all the time (I'm a size 12).

I went downstairs tonight and caught her saying to my brother and his gf (either about her meal out tonight with my ex-step-dad [who invited me] or him and his gf's ordering a pizza) "Don't tell her about it, because she won't pay". Which is ridiculous. We had Chinese last night, and no, I didn't pay, but i didn't order anything, and she didn't pay either. Had I been asked, would have. When I asked her why she said it, she told me not to earwig.

I've never once caught her saying anything good about me behind my back. Whenever I come downstairs she says "Oh, here it comes..." perfectly within earshot.

I really don't know what to do. I know it's only small things, but it's constantly, and I can't stand being here. The most hurtful thing is that she's only like this about me, not my brother, and he's not even a particularly nice person. She just makes me feel so disliked .

Am I being ridiculous? I can't stop crying, I'm so sick of it.

ReputationRep:
    No, you're not being ridiculous, but she probably doesn't realise shes making you feel like this. Have you spoken to her about it? Its important to get your feelings known.

ReputationRep:
    You're not entitled to respect. You get the respect you command from people.

Talk to her, but don't let her put you down and don't walk away with your tail between your legs. Don't start screaming either.

If nothing improves, stick it out until you can live on your own, and cut her out until she realises what she's missing and respects you.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when people say talking helps. It does not, it won't change that person. I say to the OP do the same, make snide little comments at her.

I've tried talking to her. I asked her why she hates me and she said she doesn't, she just doesn't like me. I try doing everything she wants me to do around the house, and she's still like this.

ReputationRep:
    I have a similar problem with my mum, though she is generally not any nicer to my younger sister either.
    I have talked to her about it a couple of times before and she has not changed so we have just grown further apart, to the extent she is now moving to a different county, but me and my sis are 20 and 18 so it doesn't really bother us. Our rents are divorced so we can just live with dad in holidays.
    Mum is selling the house for £350,000 but told me last week she probably "won't be able to afford to buy me anything" for my 21st birthday in 2 weeks. She is by no means poor. Can't you just feel the love lol. I have just come round to the fact I will never have a good mother-daughter relationship and just convince myself I'm better off without her, and look forward to being an independent person. Though that doesn't mean i don't still have a good cry about it sometimes.
    I hope you find the strength to move on with your life, and don't let her bring you down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've tried talking to her. I asked her why she hates me and she said she doesn't, she just doesn't like me. I try doing everything she wants me to do around the house, and she's still like this.

It's not your fault. My aunty loathes me, and it's not because I'm a bad person, it's just because she's a complete idiot.

It's not long before you can go back to uni and then start enjoying yourself again. If you're going into second year, you're sharing a house, I presume? If so, could you stay there over the holidays and things next time? That's what I'd do to get away from it all

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    maybe your just happier than she is, and she cant stand it because she wants people to be the as mean as her. sorry, its just sometimes my mum is like this, so i know how it feels. just rise above it, and maybe ignore her? then she might try and get along with you. hope things get better.

ReputationRep:
    Money makes people irrational. If you do not have a job but are adding significantly to household costs then it could be one reason she dislikes you.

ReputationRep:
    She hates you.

ReputationRep:

How old are you? I say get out of there as soon as you can - you only have one chance at life, and it is your life - do you want to waste any part of it being miserable when you can avoid it?
    If you are old enough to leave, then find a friend/relative/hostel to stay in, otherwise definitely tell somebody outside of the situation what is happening (a trusted teacher, friend or relative), and they can help you to make your situation easier to live with.

In the long-term this will damage you mentally, and will impact on how you live the rest of your life, so it's important that you take control now, before it's too late.

I plan on going back to uni as soon as my dad can take me. They're divorced, and although I know he loves me, I don't really think I'd be welcome at his.

And re. money: My brother doesn't have a job, and I try as hard as I can not to add to household costs. Everything I eat here is cheap, like pasta or Tesco Value things.

I just feel like she doesn't really know me at all, and jumps to the worst conclusions about everything.

ReputationRep:
    Punch her in the throat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile88egc)
    I have a similar problem with my mum, though she is generally not any nicer to my younger sister either.
    I have talked to her about it a couple of times before and she has not changed so we have just grown further apart, to the extent she is now moving to a different county, but me and my sis are 20 and 18 so it doesn't really bother us. Our rents are divorced so we can just live with dad in holidays.
    Mum is selling the house for £350,000 but told me last week she probably "won't be able to afford to buy me anything" for my 21st birthday in 2 weeks. She is by no means poor. Can't you just feel the love lol. I have just come round to the fact I will never have a good mother-daughter relationship and just convince myself I'm better off without her, and look forward to being an independent person. Though that doesn't mean i don't still have a good cry about it sometimes.
    I hope you find the strength to move on with your life, and don't let her bring you down.
    that is such a sad story. Can you feel the tears? She won't be able to give you a gift for your 21st...bad times. Half the world is starving, you don't know your mother's financial implications, and your upset over a gift...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    How old are you? I say get out of there as soon as you can - you only have one chance at life, and it is your life - do you want to waste any part of it being miserable when you can avoid it?
    If you are old enough to leave, then find a friend/relative/hostel to stay in, otherwise definitely tell somebody outside of the situation what is happening (a trusted teacher, friend or relative), and they can help you to make your situation easier to live with.

In the long-term this will damage you mentally, and will impact on how you live the rest of your life, so it's important that you take control now, before it's too late.
    I'm 19. I will go back to uni when I can.

I already suffered from depression recently, although /I think/ I'm better now. I didn't tell her this, although she found the pills on my window ledge and googled them (but didn't read the name clearly enough, so I think she just bluffed a guess) and said "They're weight-loss pills!"

Edit: Ah, damn it. Damn the anonymous ticker.

ReputationRep:
    how weird.. size 12 isnt even fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    that is such a sad story. Can you feel the tears? She won't be able to give you a gift for your 21st...bad times. Half the world is starving, you don't know your mother's financial implications, and your upset over a gift...
    Thats very harsh of you (that is, if you are implying that shes being selfish). By you doing that, your the selfish one. Its not about the gift. Its about how shes coming across and what she is saying means.

Your just like that women in some ways.

ReputationRep:
    She's probably just jealous of you, you're young and have the rest of your life to live and, no offence, she's probably past it now.

Is your brother older by any chance?

My mums exactly the same with me and my theory is that my brother is her first born, which is why shes so nice to him.

But only one month left till we're back to uni and we're gone for good!

I really don't know what to do. I know it's only small things, but it's constantly, and I can't stand being here. The most hurtful thing is that she's only like this about me, not my brother, and he's not even a particularly nice person. She just makes me feel so disliked .
    Sister Fypo, is that you? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TuckingFypo™)
    Sister Fypo, is that you? :ninja:
    Damn those stealthy anonymous boxes

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.