Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My mum acts like she hates me... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    The whole settling down and starting a family thing isn't for everyone
    Oh no no lol, yeah...I understand but its like....in some ways i'm a guy who likes gadgets and sightseeing more than just being tied down if you see what i mean....I find it difficult to love sometimes....and I do not know why

ReputationRep:
    It seems like your mother has some unresolved issues with you that you probably don´t even know about.
    She may say there´s nothing wrong but something definitely is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ∑ Я ĩ k ė s ħ ξ)
    Oh no no lol, yeah...I understand but its like....in some ways i'm a guy who likes gadgets and sightseeing more than just being tied down if you see what i mean....I find it difficult to love sometimes....and I do not know why
    Maybe you're just not at the place in your life where you're able to commit to someone enough to love them: love is more than just feelings, it's caring and responsibilty, and you probably just don't want to have all these restrictions yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    A gift doenst have to be big or expensive. My family was nearly dirt-poor but my mum managed to give me gifts.
    And just because half of the wolrd is starving, doesnt mean we refuse nice things that come our way- do you refuse presents from you friends/relatives because of that?
    How dare you ask me such things? It is not about me, duck. As you it your family were "dirt-poor", right you mother might not be able to afford anything, she has to live on means basis, maybe cut out a few things, give her a break.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    How dare you ask me such things? It is not about me, duck. As you it your family were "dirt-poor", right you mother might not be able to afford anything, she has to live on means basis, maybe cut out a few things, give her a break.
    No, its about your sarcasm towards OP, thats what its about. You found it strange she got upset over her mum not giving her a present for birthday, and claimed that she doesnt know her mum's financial situation. All I pointed at is that her mum didnt have to spend a fortune on a present, she could have spared a few quid on it, if she cared.
    And you have completely missed what I said about my mother too- I said she did buy me presents even when we were poor without having to cut back much.

My mum is sometimes like this to me, i don't know why, i think she just thinks its funny! but then i just yell at her and then she apologises! just tell her that you have had ENOUGH!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I know she doesn't, because when I'm away at uni, she misses me, but it doesn't make her any nicer to me. It's just the little things...

She makes fat jokes all the time (I'm a size 12).

I went downstairs tonight and caught her saying to my brother and his gf (either about her meal out tonight with my ex-step-dad [who invited me] or him and his gf's ordering a pizza) "Don't tell her about it, because she won't pay". Which is ridiculous. We had Chinese last night, and no, I didn't pay, but i didn't order anything, and she didn't pay either. Had I been asked, would have. When I asked her why she said it, she told me not to earwig.

I've never once caught her saying anything good about me behind my back. Whenever I come downstairs she says "Oh, here it comes..." perfectly within earshot.

I really don't know what to do. I know it's only small things, but it's constantly, and I can't stand being here. The most hurtful thing is that she's only like this about me, not my brother, and he's not even a particularly nice person. She just makes me feel so disliked .

Am I being ridiculous? I can't stop crying, I'm so sick of it.
    Hey

Just wanted to let you know that I've just been through something similar. My mum was a bully, like yours sounds, and took it so far that she told her husband to beat me up so that i couldn't leave home. I managed to get out of there, and my partner helped me get family counselling, and I moved back, cos although home was miserable i have two younger siblings who I missed like hell. However, it only got worse: my mum wouldn't acknowledge how she treated me, and then started on my girlfriend, and frightened her to death. Cos I then refused to stop seeing my girlfriend (mother had some issues over controlling me) she threw me out of home, and tried to manipulate me in to begging her to take me back, on her terms (no girlfriend). Now i'm permanently estranged from them, and much happier for it.
    Hope your situation gets better, if you need to talk, let me know.

ReputationRep:
    Are you a girl? How old is she? Very random thought of minebut if you are a girl and she had you when she was young ( in her twenties) maybe shes jealous because now your young and so on..if you know what I mean. Obviously I dont know anything about u and ur family but it was just a thought

ReputationRep:
    No, its about your sarcasm towards OP, thats what its about. You found it strange she got upset over her mum not giving her a present for birthday, and claimed that she doesnt know her mum's financial situation. All I pointed at is that her mum didnt have to spend a fortune on a present, she could have spared a few quid on it, if she cared.
    And you have completely missed what I said about my mother too- I said she did buy me presents even when we were poor without having to cut back much.
    I don't think I ever been sarcastic to the OP. In fact if anyone who happens to be offended by me, is not the OP but you.
    She might have had enough to buy a gift. There are billions of children, especially in the third world, who get by with no presents. What makes you special that you need a fgift? You don't know your mother financial position...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I ever been sarcastic to the OP. In fact if anyone who happens to be offended by me, is not the OP but you.
    She might have had enough to buy a gift. There are billions of children, especially in the third world, who get by with no presents. What makes you special that you need a fgift? You don't know your mother financial position...
    As I told you before and in my original post too, my mother did buy me gifts- regardless of her financial position, which I know quite a lot about :rolleyes: I was not complaining about my mum, I was giving her as an example ( a positive one, which you failed to grasp)
    And its quite normal (IMO) to expect a gift from closest relatives (such as mothers), its not a nessessity and nobody argues that it is- it is a sentiment that does not depend on value: something of small numerical value can be a gift.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like your mums jealous of you if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    As I told you before and in my original post too, my mother did buy me gifts- regardless of her financial position, which I know quite a lot about :rolleyes: I was not complaining about my mum, I was giving her as an example ( a positive one, which you failed to grasp)
    And its quite normal (IMO) to expect a gift from closest relatives (such as mothers), its not a nessessity and nobody argues that it is- it is a sentiment that does not depend on value: something of small numerical value can be a gift.
    What is wrong with you? Your mother did not give you a gift. So what! So many children get by without gifts. It is not a necessity. Be glad you got parents. You sound spoilt.

ReputationRep:
    What is wrong with you? Your mother did not give you a gift. So what! So many children get by without gifts. It is not a necessity. Be glad you got parents. You sound spoilt.
    How many times am I supposed to tell you , my family does give me gifts, do you have difficulty reading??? I am glad I have my parents and they are lovely, thank you very much, and no, I'm not spoilt because I never said I wanted big, shiny gifts. I was just telling you about the value of a thought against the material value, which you completely missed. Now go away, I don't have enough patience explaining easiest things to people like you.

P.S I did say it was not a nesessity, didn't I??? But oh, no, instead of reading it you just continue giving the same argument!

ReputationRep:
    How many times am I supposed to tell you , my family does give me gifts, do you have difficulty reading??? I am glad I have my parents and they are lovely, thank you very much, and no, I'm not spoilt because I never said I wanted big, shiny gifts. I was just telling you about the value of a thought against the material value, which you completely missed. Now go away, I don't have enough patience explaining easiest things to people like you.

P.S I did say it was not a nesessity, didn't I??? But oh, no, instead of reading it you just continue giving the same argument!
    That what is your problem exactly. If you don't feel a gift was necessary why moan on tsr you did not get one?

ReputationRep:
    That what is your problem exactly. If you don't feel a gift was necessary why moan on tsr you did not get one?
    I never moaned that I didn't get a gift, for god's sake, it was other person who didn't get a gift from her mum that you replied to!!!
    As I repeated so many times, my family does give me gifts- not always pretty/shiny/expensive, but the small things which make me feel nice, and don't cost a fortune or don't cost at all.
    And even though no gift is ever "nesessary" in terms of it being vital for life, it doesnt mean parents should stop giving them to their children. Have you ever heard "Its a thought that counts" cliche?

ReputationRep:
    I never moaned that I didn't get a gift, for god's sake, it was other person who didn't get a gift from her mum that you replied to!!!
    As I repeated so many times, my family does give me gifts- not always pretty/shiny/expensive, but the small things which make me feel nice, and don't cost a fortune or don't cost at all.
    And even though no gift is ever "nesessary" in terms of it being vital for life, it doesnt mean parents should stop giving them to their children. Have you ever heard "Its a thought that counts" cliche?
    Talking so much ******** here. Stop moaning.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you - my mum has never been very well off, but at birthdays/christmas especially when i was young, she tried her hardest to make it special. We couldn't afford big parties or holidays like some of my friends, but just the fact that she'd made an effort to make it special for me was better than any huge present.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you - my mum has never been very well off, but at birthdays/christmas especially when i was young, she tried her hardest to make it special. We couldn't afford big parties or holidays like some of my friends, but just the fact that she'd made an effort to make it special for me was better than any huge present.
    Exactly- I would never demand anything out of my parents' league if they experience financial hardships, but its nice to know they care even by giving me a small present and a card. Funny how I got called "spoiled" because of that :rolleyes: It doesnt take much to show a person you love tham and care abou them- I got off by baking my dad a birthday cake when I was skint

ReputationRep:
    Exactly- I would never demand anything out of my parents' league if they experience financial hardships, but its nice to know they care even by giving me a small present and a card. Funny how I got called "spoiled" because of that :rolleyes: It doesnt take much to show a person you love tham and care abou them- I got off by baking my dad a birthday cake when I was skint
    Plus, i find, that as a rule, it makes me a lot happier to get a small gift from someone who can't afford a big gesture, than to get a bucket load of expensive gifts from someone to whom money is not an issue. It always feels like it is meant with more affection and thought.

ReputationRep:
    Plus, i find, that as a rule, it makes me a lot happier to get a small gift from someone who can't afford a big gesture, than to get a bucket load of expensive gifts from someone to whom money is not an issue. It always feels like it is meant with more affection and thought.
    Same here

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.