Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doing driving test without instructor training? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I will just explain my situation,

Basically, I have just finished University and need to start driving a.s.a.p. to help secure a job.
    I am on my girlfriends insurance as a named driver and have been practicing getting up to test standard.

Before starting uni I had around 15/20 hours driving lessons with an ADI instructors about 4 years ago and was doing my mock tests by the end of these.

So, do you think I would be ok to just practise as much as I can between now and my test (Sept 2nd) or would I really need an instructor?

I have been driving for the last few days on roads; bypass; roundabouts etc and have been fine driving but just need to relearn the maneuvers (plenty of websites and videos to look at though).

Thank you for any help,

shaunlawler :yes: :yes: :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaunlawler)
    have been practicing getting up to test standard.
    How do you know what test standard is without an instructor's advice? The test has changed in 4 years.

It sounds like you're quite experienced, but if you have any habits you're unaware of, you need a couple of lessons with an instructor before test so these can be brought to your attention.

ReputationRep:
    As above. It would be worth having at least one lesson as a practice test, and see where it goes from there.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing is I do not want to get used to an instructors car if I am doing the test in my own. I might sound a little cocky but I have been out with people and they cannot find fault in how my driving is (although I do realise they are not qualified instructors)

I realise I still have a lot of practice to do; especially on the maneuvers but with over a month I think that would hopefully be enough time.

shaunlawler:redface:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.