The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
You can't stay on campus as all the halls are full. However, you can apply for uni-associated accommodation at Raleigh Park or Broadgate Park.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
crafty bison
You can't stay on campus as all the halls are full. However, you can apply for uni-associated accommodation at Raleigh Park or Broadgate Park.

All said for university accommodation being full.But honestly ,are they better off?
I got allocated to Melton hall but no one seems to know anything about it. room size? no sharing kitchen/ etc
Reply 3
heya,,......all the rooms in university campus are booked.....and even in self-catered residences ....only raleigh park has rooms while you can try broadgate or albion house for waiting list.....btw u from india??
Reply 4
I'm in a similar situation. I'm a mature student (28) and have researched accommodation options thoroughly - both on-campus and private. I can say with certainty that on-campus accommodation is way overpriced. You pay pretty much the same amount for a measly single-room with ensuite as for a 1-bed flat in the City. It's not worth it. As a postgrad you should have your own place anyway.

You've got two options, really:

1) Flatshare: this is very cheap (how's £250-£300/month sound?) and especially for those who can't do without other people around them.
You can find flatshares on Gumtree (there's a special Nottingham section).

2) Renting your own flat. This is somewhat more expensive than flatsharing, but cheaper than (or costing at the very least the same as) accommodation in University Halls. You can get a decent 1 bed flat or studio for between £300 and £500/month. I have a spacious 1bed flat in the Lace Market (great area in the city centre) and pay £395/month.

You need to do some research first to get acquainted with the housing market here. The safest bet is to go through an agency, especially if you want to avoid all the hassle and save yourself some time. You pay some admin fees, though, but at least you're getting good quality, a standard contract and you're not likely to get swindled. There's an agency that caters only to students (you can find it on the Notts uni website), but I found the deals there a little more expensive than private agencies.

If you want to be close to the uni, I'd recommend staying either in Beeston (where the uni is), Radford, Lenton or even the Arboretum. City centre is great for shopping and for being close to all the action and all that Nottingham has to offer. However, it's about 3-4 km from the uni, but you can get to uni by bus (10 min maybe) or walking (30-45min).

Message me if you need further help.

Good luck. :-)
Reply 5
HappyHarry
I have a spacious 1bed flat in the Lace Market (great area in the city centre) and pay £395/month.

Just out of interest does this include all utility bills, insurance, internet usage and phone connection?
Reply 6
BrenLee
Just out of interest does this include all utility bills, insurance, internet usage and phone connection?

No, it does not. I understand Halls accommodation includes those bills, but even with the bills included in the rent, the rent is ridiculously high for what you get (which is, in essence, a single room in a flat shared with other students). The bills amount to about £60-90 per month (utilities, telephone & internet) for a 1 bed flat.
Reply 7
So about £500 a month all in and then travelling costs versus about £450 a month all in on campus.

Not that much of a big difference but I see the point you are making.
I guess it boils down to independence versus convenience.
Reply 8
Hi everybody,

I could do with some advice too!!! I'm gonna be starting a phd at notts in January. I'll be based on sutton bonington but I'm struggling to decide whether to live on broadgate park or on sutton bonnington. I've got a car so it won't be a problem commuting. I want to live on broadgate because sutton bonington seems a bit dull and in the middle of nowhere but at the same time I'm not sure a 20 minute drive everyday would be a great idea!!!

I'd appreciate any advice!!!
thanks
Reply 9
Unfortunately Broadgate Park is now full
Reply 10
I've had an email from the accommodation office letting me know there are rooms for postgrads on broadgate park still, its undergrad rooms that are full!
BGP isn't full, not even Cloister House is full actually (I was offered a room there today and will be turning it down, so there will be at least one more room available!).

I fully endorse what HappyHarry says. Nottingham Hospitality seems to survive/thrive on swindling students who don't know any better. Go private. I have an enormous room with double bed in a great house five minutes' walk from the university, at £280/mth plus bills.
I heard Broadgate Park was rubbish!

I managed to find a room using the Unipol website. There are also rooms available on Gumtree as well. I'd certainly recommended private housing rather than halls if you're trying to save money.
As a postgrad, private accommodation is a pretty good way to go. I'm paying £162.50/month for a massive double bedroom in a lovely house in Beeston.
Reply 14
I'm staying in a house in Madison Court at Raleigh Park and frankly I am pretty excited about it! I stayed at home during my undergrad here in Canada so I'm super excited for the campus/residence life even as a post grad! And not having to deal with finding private accommodation being overseas is a definite plus for me since I won't be able to view any of the properties before I even make it the uni in September regardless of the "over charging" I keep reading about.
Reply 15
Everyone I think I could also use some advice on housing since I'm also an international postgrad. I don't know if private accommodation is for me since this is the first time I'll be coming to the UK and might need some help getting around initially, but would it make any sense for me to rent at some other uni arranged site since SB does seem to be behind God's back. I don't have a car though so would it be any hassle to get to classes every day?
Reply 16
Make your mind up on which is better for you.

If you decide to book with the Uni arranged accommodation go to www.nottingham.ac.uk/acc and have a good read about what we have on offer. Ask any questions you have either here or by emailing [email protected]

If you decide to go into private sector accommodation. Take your time, theres plenty on offer. Use websites like www.unipol.org.uk/nottingham to find out about the areas and properties. If you're uncertain about anything concerning location ask here, most people will give you an honest answer. If you're concerned about contracts then contact SARC (Student Advice and Representation Centre) and they will make sure you're not being ripped off.
Reply 17
crafty bison
BGP isn't full, not even Cloister House is full actually (I was offered a room there today and will be turning it down, so there will be at least one more room available!).

I fully endorse what HappyHarry says. Nottingham Hospitality seems to survive/thrive on swindling students who don't know any better. Go private. I have an enormous room with double bed in a great house five minutes' walk from the university, at £280/mth plus bills.

As you may not be aware, all but 1 of the postgraduate arranged accommodation properties are privately owned, they set their own prices not Nottingham Hospitality or Accommodation Services.

Nottingham Hospitality doesn't incorporate Accommodation Services and hasn't for over a year now.

Cloister House IS full, just because you're not taking your room it doesn't mean the waiting list doesn't exist.

Please try not to comment on something you not 100% sure of, you may end up unintentionally misleading people.
Reply 18
BrenLee
As you may not be aware, all but 1 of the postgraduate arranged accommodation properties are privately owned, they set their own prices not Nottingham Hospitality or Accommodation Services.

Nottingham Hospitality doesn't incorporate Accommodation Services and hasn't for over a year now.

Cloister House IS full, just because you're not taking your room it doesn't mean the waiting list doesn't exist.

Please try not to comment on something you not 100% sure of, you may end up unintentionally misleading people.

Hi Brenlee.. I really want to know what the rooms in Melton Hall contain..like fridge or what really?How many share the kitchen and the room size..and kinda claustrophobic:yes:

Latest

Trending

Trending