Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When you google it you find out very little, so does anyone know what the 'dons' at oxford really ask you at an interview if you want to study law at Oxford?

:confused: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    why do you wish to study law? (probably the most obvious question)

ReputationRep:
    em go on itunes U, there some great admissions podcasts about the interviews. the dons go through it and help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluemax)
    why do you wish to study law? (probably the most obvious question)
    Ha I thought you were asking pegas until I read the bit in brackets

Also stuff like 'why do you want to study at Oxford?' and 'why do you think you deserve the place more than the x amount of other applicants competing for this place' etc. And I would imagine a few ethical questions ('what would you do in this situation' and so on).

Don't take this too seriously because I don't really have a clue, never having wanted to study law or at Oxford :p:

From what I gather, they tend to present legal or political thought experiements and ask interviewees to explain how they'd deal with them. No-one I know who applied for any subject, myself included, was actually asked why they were applying. They've already read your personal statement, so they'll know that; you're far more likely to be asked for clarification on specific points in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meridian_Star)
    Also stuff like 'why do you want to study at Oxford?' and 'why do you think you deserve the place more than the x amount of other applicants competing for this place' etc.
    I had an English interview and prepared for these type of questions and was never asked anything like it! So expect the unexpected.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently they ask some mad q. such as how many planes are above oxford right now? guess it depends on who you get though.

Anyone know any possible trick q. or had any personal experience with an Oxford interview?

Thanx for A.

ReputationRep:
    A possible question might be along the lines: "What is the difference between legal, lawful and legitimate?"... Anything which gives an indication on your knowledge of law basically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pegas92)
    Apparently they ask some mad q. such as how many planes are above oxford right now? guess it depends on who you get though
    You won't get asked questions like that!

Apparently they ask some mad q. such as how many planes are above oxford right now? guess it depends on who you get though.

Anyone know any possible trick q. or had any personal experience with an Oxford interview?

Thanx for A.
    All that trick/impossible question stuff is nonsense, really. All my interviews were friendly and we talked about my subject and little else. It varies from college to college and subject to subject, but for humanities and social sciences they usually give you something beforehand (an image, an extract from an essay etc.) and then ask you questions about it. My only friend who applied for law got a piece of legislation beforehand and was asked to apply it to several situations and justify that application.

ReputationRep:
    A teacher once said to me that a past student was asked what they would do to sort out the US election problems. This was when Bush beat Al Gore but the election was disputed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meridian_Star)
    Also stuff like 'why do you want to study at Oxford?' and 'why do you think you deserve the place more than the x amount of other applicants competing for this place' etc.
    no no not in the slightest. What would that achieve?

Thanx for A.
    (Original post by jdfan)
    You won't get asked questions like that!
    You might...

Examples are often wildly exaggerated though - it would be majority related to the subject or as close as is possible, though the odd random question to test your logic is not uncommon, particularly in sciences.

If you posted this in the oxbridge forum you might get some better answers...

ReputationRep:
    Less the generic, preparable "why do you want to study at Oxford?" stuff than stuff that you can't prepare. So for law, for example, they'll ask questions to test your ability to argue a point (while understanding both sides). For maths, I gather, they'll ask you some maths.

ReputationRep:
    "Do we need laws for lightbulbs?"

This one is real actually, got it off a website... I think the one mentioned above.

ReputationRep:
    the planes above oxford question would be perfectly acceptable, it is something you can reasonably estimate

though that sort of thing seems more common in job interviews and stuff

ReputationRep:
    From my experience you're unlikely to be asked obvious questions like "why do you want to study law" etc., these things should be covered in your personal statement and don't really need repeating. You might be asked one or two questions about your personal statement to settle you in to the interview a bit but I wasn't (though I did apply for a different course). The bulk of the interview will be a question/some questions relating to law, perhaps you will be given the text of a law and be asked to think through it out loud, what phrases mean, the implications of the law, perhaps possible loopholes. Basically it will be a test of your intelligence and ability to think complicated things through reasonably quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Something like... 'the statue is in authority, what would the statue think of someone who used an open unused car for shelter from the rain?'. I nearly have to do a mock law interview once and someone warned me she would ask that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2 + 2 = 5)
    Less the generic, preparable "why do you want to study at Oxford?" stuff than stuff that you can't prepare. So for law, for example, they'll ask questions to test your ability to argue a point (while understanding both sides). For maths, I gather, they'll ask you some maths.
    Correct, good sir!
    Also - Radiohead username, niiiiiiiiice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doady)
    A possible question might be along the lines: "What is the difference between legal, lawful and legitimate?"... Anything which gives an indication on your knowledge of law basically.
    Seeing as both the university and everyone on TSR has explicity said many times that NO knowledge of law is expected, this seems most unlikely. I would think tutors will only ask question that actually help them determine whether you can 'think like a lawyer'. Testing your ability in assessing the number of planes above Oxford and such like is unlikely to help them in this regard.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by statics)
    Seeing as both the university and everyone on TSR has explicity said many times that NO knowledge of law is expected, this seems most unlikely. I would think tutors will only ask question that actually help them determine whether you can 'think like a lawyer'. Testing your ability in assessing the number of planes above Oxford and such like is unlikely to help them in this regard.
    Does that particular question really require more knowledge of law than you could reasonably expect an applicant who claims to have an interest in the subject to have, though?:dontknow:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.