Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, at the moment i have just finished my AS's. [Maths, Physics, Product Design and ICT]
    I hope to go on to do Struc or Civil Eng.

I have recently been volunteering in the local council Engineers office doing stuff like moments, bending theory, shear forces, plain frames and so on. Stuff which i never covered before at AS. Also going out with the engineers why they inspect and take measurements. Y'know, the stuff they do just not officially.

Anyway, one of the guys who im working with, well, we got to talking and he was going to see about getting me a full time job there, for 3 years, doing training for Uni so that i would go to uni at about 20/21, they would probably pay the tuition fees for the degree as long as i worked for them for X amount of time after. He then said doing this I could be charted for around the age of 30. [Saying that should/could be my goal]

So really all's this is, what would you do?
    Sack off the A levels and take the offer or decline and carry on with the original A levels entry.

Oh and why? +ves and -ves tbh.

Thanks. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, it's a very tempting offer, and really it depends on you. If working with this firm is really what you want, then it sounds like something I'd jump at, really, as the skills you'll be learning there will be directly applicable to what you'd be doing at uni/in life. Not to forget the fact that you'd be getting paid for it, so you'd be fiscally solvent, which is a great boost for any student entering uni.

However, press for details. Phone up universities that you'd be considering applying to anyway and see what they think about this plan, and if they would take you should you choose this plan. Figure out if the firm would actually pay tuition fees for you, find out what jobs you would actually be doing, how much you would be earning, all the terms and conditions of your employment (including any minimum contract length).

ReputationRep:
    Well don't drop your alevels just yet, till its confirmed.

That sounds a good deal because you won't be in debt etc at university, but if they do offer you some form of sponsorship, perhaps try to negotiate?
    some civil students get sponsorship for the entire course fees and they still go uni after a levels, and they work in the office during the summer and they go back to the office when they graduate for x amount of years.

before you commit to an agreement, always be certain its what you want. do you see yourself as a civil engineer and nothing else?

btw, i love collegehumour

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I would planning most of that anyway like but as i say, was only before he mentioned this so he hasn't really looked into it himself yet but i am back in a Monday and will defiantly be asking those things. Thank you

P.S, nice grades lol

ReputationRep:
    positiveves and negativeves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeahyeahyeahs)
    Well don't drop your alevels just yet, till its confirmed.

That sounds a good deal because you won't be in debt etc at university, but if they do offer you some form of sponsorship, perhaps try to negotiate?
    some civil students get sponsorship for the entire course fees and they still go uni after a levels, and they work in the office during the summer and they go back to the office when they graduate for x amount of years.

before you commit to an agreement, always be certain its what you want. do you see yourself as a civil engineer and nothing else?

btw, i love collegehumour

Aye, there are a lot of things to think about, like change of heart etc lol
    I think I will need a long think about it ;-)
    Thanks for the post

P.S i love it too.
    P.Sx2 I am also going to leeds 2009 may see you there haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastyCoke)
    positiveves and negativeves?
    Obviously :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gummers)
    Aye, there are a lot of things to think about, like change of heart etc lol
    I think I will need a long think about it ;-)
    Thanks for the post

P.S i love it too.
    P.Sx2 I am also going to leeds 2009 may see you there haha
    Jake and Amir = brilliant.

oh, im working as a steward at leeds. probably doing your wristband entry thing at the gate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeahyeahyeahs)
    Jake and Amir = brilliant.

oh, im working as a steward at leeds. probably doing your wristband entry thing at the gate.
    Oi, gonna give me an 18 wristband :whistle:?

ReputationRep:
    I'll be the one taking alcohol away from you minors, who try and get in to the site with loads of beers.

gotta love the power ^_^

ReputationRep:
    there is a shortage of civil/structural engineers so just go to uni and get a job with a private consultancy firm like arup etc

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.