Turn on thread page Beta

Lottery fraudsters to pay back £15,000 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise that about lottery tickets to be honest, but if it was fraud why do they not have to pay it all back?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/8166483.stm
    A Swindon woman whose winning lottery ticket was found and cashed in by someone else has been told she will be paid more than half the original prize.
    Dorothy McDonagh, 61, dropped the ticket on the floor of her local Co-op.
    Michael and Amanda Stacey, 34, who spent half the money, were later given 11-month suspended sentences for fraud.
    A judge at Swindon Crown Court ordered Michael Stacey to pay Dorothy McDonagh £15,111 - the £111 being interest on the payment.

ReputationRep:
    Surely, they need to pay the remaining 15k back, and then need to fork up 15.1k themselves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    They found the ticket. I find this a little ridiculous.
    But it wasn't their ticket, they didn't buy it, they didn't enter the draw.

ReputationRep:
    Its theft as stole they ticket

ReputationRep:
    They probably would have got away with it if it wasnt some lottery obsessed old woman that lost it. Does seem strange if they only have to pay back 15k total though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Shouldn't have to pay it back, its her own fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    They found the ticket. I find this a little ridiculous.
    This, tbh.

11month sentance for that? Could they not have claimed self-defence against paper-cuts???

ReputationRep:
    It would be unfair for them to have to pay what they've already spend and don't have. They didn't think of it as stealing. I certainly wouldn't have if I found a ticket either, nor the desperate people who pick up betting slips etc. in the hope of a winner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    It would be unfair for them to have to pay what they've already spend and don't have. They didn't think of it as stealing. I certainly wouldn't have if I found a ticket either, nor the desperate people who pick up betting slips etc. in the hope of a winner.
    I wouldnt see me killing you as murder, I would see it as doing the world a favour. Does that make it right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by René Artois)
    I wouldnt see me killing you as murder, I would see it as doing the world a favour. Does that make it right?
    Purposefully killing someone is quite different to picking up a ticket from the floor. You don't even need to think to know that murder is illegal.

I doubt the majority of people who have picked up a 50p or 20p coin from the street thought they were stealing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzyoscy)
    Purposefully killing someone is quite different to picking up a ticket from the floor. You don't even need to think to know that murder is illegal.

I doubt the majority of people who have picked up a 50p or 20p coin from the street thought they were stealing.
    No its not. Just because you dont see something as breaking the law it doesnt make it any more acceptable, or in any way mitigating. Its their own fault for taking it. They should be thrown behind bars too.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say it was acceptable. As I said, not many would think picking up something you've found would be stealing and severely punishable. It was just a mistake. At least the original owner ended up with something for something lost.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2009
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.