Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i really really do not want to become the shy one at uni. i hated school because of my shyness. i had friends but i was still too shy.
    drink and a party atnosphere will definatley help but i can feel intimidated by people easily.
    in my school, it wasnt very diverse (it wasnt posh or anything, had alot of chavs) but when i see how some other people behave from like diverse cities , they seem more confident and extreme to people who go to my school. i cant really name one person in my 6 form who had a particualy big personality. when i went to the open day, it was very diverse raciallly and culturally, so just bit worried.

i get intimidated by people who are very confident, or those who are tactless and can be rude and inpatient. i just dont wanna be put off my one person i dont like, and go into my shell cuz im scared of them

(just hope my housemates are normal and nice)

i wanted some tips on how to deal with the first few days and not become a recluse! even if i dont like some ppl

ReputationRep:
    Shots will help.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I have the same issue. I'm ridiculously shy around people I don't know sooo.. advice would help guys!

ReputationRep:
    Just force yourself to go and say hi, bring some stuff to share to break the ice, chat about the experience of moving to uni, go to the pub together. Go along with whatever your housemates are doing even if its not your usual kind of thing, just to get to know each other to start off with.
    I can be shy with new people but I actually found the experience of moving to uni fine, you just get caught up in a whirl of freshers events and chatting to people as long as you make a bit of effort.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, essentially you're just going to have to force yourself to go out and make the effort to speak to people and get to know people. Smile a lot, avoid heavy issues initially, keep the generic fresher questions in your mind (name, location, a levels, subject) as the gateway to small talk nirvana. Remember that you can essentially reinvent yourself at uni - this is exactly what I did, and I'm damn glad of it.

Best of luck guys, just chill out! =D

ReputationRep:
    erm some alchohol lol..
    really just build up some confidence..start of with people in your halls or something and you will see that that shyness will leave n be gone..

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day you're not going to like EVERYONE.

This applies to anybody. Everyone has different personalities. You don't have to become drastically extrovert just to fit in, no doubt you will find some like minded people you feel comfortable with.

It's a new experience for everyone, just embrace it and don't be afraid

ReputationRep:
    No matter where you go, or what you do, there's always going to be someone who will take pleasure in ******* up your day.

Don't try and avoid it, because you'll be running from social situations forever. Just accept the fact. Seems like you're scared of people not liking you?

ReputationRep:
    Remind yourself, like Doctor Pepper, 'What's The Worst That Can Happen', at the end of the day, nothing terrible will come from making a small mistake. Enjoy life, it's too short!

ReputationRep:
    I'm rather shy, uni actually ended up making me less shy so to speak. I'm still the quiet one at times.
    Anyway, I'd imagine on your first day your hallmates will be shy/nervous too. I'd prop your door open a bit on the first day, that's what I did when my parents left and had a few people knock and stuff.
    You'll be fine. :awesome: You just have to push yourself sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oh_adele)
    No matter where you go, or what you do, there's always going to be someone who will take pleasure in ******* up your day.

Don't try and avoid it, because you'll be running from social situations forever. Just accept the fact. Seems like you're scared of people not liking you?
    yeah i guess so, when people reject you when your shy, it hurts abit but not so much because you know they dont know the real you and you can understand why they would rather sit by someone else for example. but if your yourself then i guess it hurts and i also think by being confident im drawing attention to myself and more likely to be insulted. because in the past, when ive had spurts of confidence, sometimes someone has said something mean, which doesnt help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boredyay)
    yeah i guess so, when people reject you when your shy, it hurts abit but not so much because you know they dont know the real you and you can understand why they would rather sit by someone else for example. but if your yourself then i guess it hurts and i also think by being confident im drawing attention to myself and more likely to be insulted. because in the past, when ive had spurts of confidence, sometimes someone has said something mean, which doesnt help
    You seem to have really low self-esteem, to me. You can PM me if you need a chat.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.