Turn on thread page Beta

we are just about to do our chemistry coursework and i have to plan a method to find out the relative molecular mass of an acid. i know that it includes titration but dont know how to do the maths at the end, especially because i have to decide the molarity of NaOH to use and the mass of acid to use. Anyone have any ideas?
    the acid is COOH(CH2)nHOOC where n is between 1 and 4 and its diprotic (i know this changes what i have to do but am not sure how)
    the alkali is NaOH
    the equation, putting acid as H2A:
    H2A + 2NaOH > Na2A + 2H2O
    i have to 'decide on a scale for the experiments', what does that mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cold_blood)
    we are just about to do our chemistry coursework and i have to plan a method to find out the relative molecular mass of an acid. i know that it includes titration but dont know how to do the maths at the end, especially because i have to decide the molarity of NaOH to use and the mass of acid to use. Anyone have any ideas?
    the acid is COOH(CH2)nHOOC where n is between 1 and 4 and its diprotic (i know this changes what i have to do but am not sure how)
    the alkali is NaOH
    the equation, putting acid as H2A:
    H2A + 2NaOH > Na2A + 2H2O
    i have to 'decide on a scale for the experiments', what does that mean?
    The scale of the experiments means things such as what volumes and concentrations of acid and alkali you would use. You need to explain why you choose each one. Consider things such as the size of the equipment, make some preliminary calculations to see how much of a randomly chosen concentration of acid is needed to neutralise a certain volume of standard acid. Also think about safety (you dont want concentrations that are too high). Decide on an indicator to use (you are doing a weak acid-strong base titration so look one up in a book).

I did this exact coursework when I did my A Levels, and it is really easy so long as you work methodically through it. You should get a sheet that has numbered points on it for you to cover - this really helps.

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Phenolphthalein ought to do it.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    It should. I couldn't remember - it is module 5!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.