Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it a bad idea to date someone I'm not physically attracted to? watch

I met a guy I chatted to on the internet. He' s great guy, very warm and caring and he's also highly intelligent, however - I am just not physically attracted to him. Is it bad idea to date him if this is the case?

I liked him a lot before meeting him in person.. but now I don't feel physically attracted to him. I feel sad about this. What should I do now?

Don't date him, just say you'd like to be friends. I've been out with guys I don't find attractive physically and it really doesn't work - you can't hide those feelings to yourself and you both end up getting hurt - better to avoid it

ReputationRep:
    Dating someone you're not attracted to would result in an unhappy relationship for the both of you anyway. Stick to being friends

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above posts - don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    Physical attraction is part of the chemistry. Don't do it just for the sake of it, like others have said.

ReputationRep:
    To have a good relationship you'll need to have that
    Physical attraction, or else it would just be like having sex with a good friend/sibling.

i'm not saying that sex is everything, but...yeah...just stick to being friends.

ReputationRep:
    If you are not physically attracted to him you should not be dating him. The fact that this is playing on your mind suggests there is a problem. Stop wasting his and your own time.

ReputationRep:
    Very, very bad idea. It never ends well and will only end up hurting both of you.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Let him know you aren't physically attracted to him, he shouldn't be too hurt by it unless he has a huge ego. He will understand.

I wouldn't date someone I wasn't physically attracted to, I would be very uncomfortable in making sure that i'm not showing that i'm attracted in any way.

I dated a guy I met on the internet who I wasn't physically attracted to even though I knew deep down that I didn't really want to and that I just felt kind of lonely because I hadn't had a boyfriend for a while. When I met up with him I also kind of felt like I didn't have much choice and that I would be a ***** if I told him I wasn't interested because we had already been sending eachother dirty texts etc. and I had told him many times that I thought he was good looking. Don't make the same mistake I did. It will only end in tears. To my horror I later found out that he had been chatting up 13 year old girls online too, saying the exact same things to them as he had said to me. (he was 19 going on 20) I felt sick.

ReputationRep:
    just go on the date to get a free dinner.

I am in that same situation right now. I am with a guy I met online, and I am not exactly physically attracted to him, so therefore the sex life suffers, and it is not fair on him. The relationship suffers. Hard as it is, it is better to hurt his feelings now then later down the line, when you are with him but things just aren't as good as they should be, because that attraction is missing.

ReputationRep:
    very bad idea, you'll both just get hurt in the end

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the extent, I think people can date those they arent physically attracted to as often the physical attraction is based in the mind as a form of barrier so they could be attracted but blah blah blah im rambling.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat, met a girl, she's great in almost every way, I just don't find her that attractive.
    And, for the reasons outlined by other people here, I think it would be a bad idea to lead her on - because thats essentially what it is.

So, no, don't see the guy. It's unfortunate, but sometimes life works out that way.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely don't date him, it's such a mistake and ruins your friendship completely in almost all circumstances. It's not something you can force or convince yourself of for long. Move on.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Yes, it is. It is a very stupid idea. Don't do it.

ReputationRep:
    I think there's a consensus forming, to which I would add my voice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I met a guy I chatted to on the internet. He' s great guy, very warm and caring and he's also highly intelligent, however - I am just not physically attracted to him. Is it bad idea to date him if this is the case?

I liked him a lot before meeting him in person.. but now I don't feel physically attracted to him. I feel sad about this. What should I do now?
    Well you have to weigh your options:
    Do you think you can get a guy with the same good personality as this guy with the good looks as well? (Is always possible, but chances vary depending on who you are and where you live, etc.)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.