Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    If the cat is both dead and alive at the same time, does that mean Schrödinger's cat is a zombie?

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

ReputationRep:
    Na, zombies are the undead.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's either dead or alive, and not a mixture of the two, according to David Bohm's ontological interpretation of quantum mechanics, which is the theory that I agree with.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Xenopus)
    No, it's either dead or alive, and not a mixture of the two, according to David Bohm's ontological interpretation of quantum mechanics, which is the theory that I agree with.
    I know, but I found it funny.

For arguments sake, I could argue that a zombie is alive. It has died in the past, but, depending on your definition of life, surely it has more life than many animals (certain bacterium, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    The problem is, once we open the box the wave collapses so it's either dead or alive, so no longer a zombie.
    So you could have a zombie cat army, just you could never see it.

ReputationRep:
    No-one can understand it and my point is that if the cat is both alive and dead, does your opening the door kill the cat?

ReputationRep:
    maybe its not even a zombie cat at all just empty space with an 'alleged' cat that only appears once viewed......who knows!?!

:iiam:

ReputationRep:
    i like the idea of zobie cat army, but ya you practically kill the cat by openin the box if it its already dead, and i guess revive it if it is not (im on to someting here). still, the idea is stupid who would want to open a box which has poision inside it that could go off at any minute.

ReputationRep:
    If "not alive but not dead" is undead, then what is "unalive"... dead?

If so, the schrodinger's cat is both undead and unalive at the same time- it's a zombie and dead.
    Therefore all cats are zombies. QED

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.