Turn on thread page Beta

why do most british people totally disrespect our soldiers? watch

ReputationRep:
    it makes me embarrassed to be from here.

in america they get this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck3zw6NUF60

and huge respect from the public. in this country we get a handful of people actually can be assed to go and stand on the side of the road for 10 minutes and a load of disrespectful idiots who couldnt give 2 *****. the americans are, imo, a far better nation because of this

ReputationRep:
    Because most people in Britain, don't realise the hardships our soldiers are enduring.

ReputationRep:
    People do respect the soldiers.

What OP and other people have done is confused reality with the world offered by the media.

ReputationRep:
    There was a similar thread a while back. The major difference between USA and UK in treatment of soldiers is that the American media are a lot less critical when compared to the British media. Also considering we went to war soon after 9/11, Americans obviously feel that US soldiers are actually defending their country whereas Brits feel that we went to war simply to please America and that soldiers aren't doing much to protect Britain in this case. Remember the July 7th attacks were carried out by British nationals in retaliation to us going to war.

ReputationRep:
    People do care, but at the same time, for what most of the population thinks is a pointless war, its very hard to back the soldiers who are fighting it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgecopter)
    People do respect the soldiers.

What OP and other people have done is confused reality with the world offered by the media.
    you are clearly lucky to mingle in more educated than average circles. I have come across loads of people, especially at my college, who have no respect, and sometimes an actual antipathy for, our troops

ReputationRep:
    Most British people are idiots.

ReputationRep:
    Most Americans are patriotic idiots, that's why. They'll cheer at anything if you put the stars and stripes on it.

British don't do much better at avoiding total stupidity, but at least we're a tad more sceptical than the Americans.

I don't see why I should be respecting troops. They signed up for their own hardships, they knew what they were getting themselves into.

I think Americans are the exceptions rather than the norm. You go to most western countries and people are generally apathetic about the armed forces, whereas the Americans tend to display jingostic tendencies.

ReputationRep:
    Most British people don't give a **** about anything until the media reports it, apparently.

ReputationRep:
    I think if the majority of people wanted to actually go to war then there'd probably be more support for our soldiers, but not many people think that a) we should have even entered the war and b) that we should still be out there.

The Americans on the other hand have been brainwashed by their previously poor excuse of a leader that there was a need to go to war.

ReputationRep:
    Many brits are anti-war and by extension opposed to the forces and what they represent? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    the british are for, the most part, a load of self loathing, disrespectful, envious, ''we can't do this'', ''you can't do that'' idiots.

We manage to destroy every part of the world we go on holiday to, unlike every other nation, possible eception to the australians and the french here.

I dunno why, maybe it's the weather? All i know is, i really dislike the pessimism of this country. I wish i was american....one of the few western nations with any remaining sense of national pride...which considering how many different cultures it contains is a really beautiful thing

ReputationRep:
    saying that the large majority of british people are disrespectful is like saying that all teenagers carry knives, it's a minority making the majority look bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sFLcZziEH4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoSuis)
    Many brits are anti-war and by extension opposed to the forces and what they represent? :dontknow:
    :yes:
    I'm a pacifist. I don't know if it's the norm, though - enough people argued with my point of view in a similar thread to this last week.

ReputationRep:
    most 'british' people aren't actually 'british' nowadays!

ReputationRep:
    I am a Soldier myself, and to be honest I believe the majority of the British public do respect soldiers, and most importantly (in my opinion) respect the sacrifices made by those who have lost their lives on operations.

ReputationRep:
    For what it's worth, the vast majority of this negative view towards the soldiers does seem to come from people <25.

I don't know why, or even if that is accurate, it's just my observation of it.

On TSR, it's very evident, because people like to have a shout and whinge behind their computer screens, and I'd imagine at school/college/uni you'd find more... But out in the 'real world' you don't tend to see the same attitude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    Most Americans are patriotic idiots, that's why. They'll cheer at anything if you put the stars and stripes on it.

British don't do much better at avoiding total stupidity, but at least we're a tad more sceptical than the Americans.

I don't see why I should be respecting troops. They signed up for their own hardships, they knew what they were getting themselves into.
    This is true, however when your not provided with correct kit and treated like scum by many it begs the questions, why? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    We, as a nation, lack the nationalistic and non-critical perspective the USA has in order to wildly support our armed forces. Obsessive nationalism and a lack of critical and honest perspectives does not make one country better than another, in my opinion.

However, I think most people (myself included) support our troops whilst not supporting the war. As a result, we don't see the massive displays of support you might see in America.

Oh wait, you're that bloody pretend chav troll. Never mind.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.