Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why do most british people totally disrespect our soldiers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    :yes:
    I'm a pacifist. I don't know if it's the norm, though - enough people argued with my point of view in a similar thread to this last week.
    Me too:p:

ReputationRep:
    This whole discussion is flawed. To show out on the streets to cheer on soldiers is to honour them - that is very different to respecting them. I would never look down on someone for being a soldier and would consider it a good thing for them to do for their beliefs; however you cannot expect people to celebrate a war which is widely opposed. Turning out at such loaded events has political implictations. People can respect soldiers without honouring them.

They do make a sacrifice but that does not detract from the fact they are paid killers taking orders from downing street.

There is nothing inherently respectable about being a soldier, and they're certainly not defending me. Why should I respect them?

ReputationRep:
    British people aren't as patriotic as other countries...but still for soldiers who have been fighting out there, we should respect them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoSuis)
    Many brits are anti-war and by extension opposed to the forces and what they represent? :dontknow:
    Conversely, not all soldiers support the war themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    Conversely, not all soldiers support the war themselves.
    I meant anti-war in general, not just this one =D

ReputationRep:
    Because the British public aren't sheep and realise we're involved in illegal and immoral wars, unlike the American one who believe we're fighting for their freedoms and such.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    British people aren't as patriotic as other countries...but still for soldiers who have been fighting out there, we should respect them
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    they're certainly not defending me.
    Who's to say they won't, in future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forbidden Fruit)
    Who's to say they won't, in future?
    Why do we have to respect someone who is doing something wrong today, in case they do something wrong in the future?

ReputationRep:
    To respect British soldiers, you don't need to line down the streets for their homecoming. I oppose the wars, certainly, but I respect the soldiers' choice of occupation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    Because the British public aren't sheep and realise we're involved in illegal and immoral wars, unlike the American one who believe we're fighting for their freedoms and such.
    You're generalising here a bit. Not all Brits and Americans are the same.

ReputationRep:
    Why do we have to respect someone who is doing something wrong today, in case they do something wrong in the future?
    That makes no sense.

I know what you are implying, however, and it's called consistency. If you treat someone like **** today, they're hardly going to be enthusiastic in regards to doing you any favours in the future.

Why should people risk their lives for people who disrespect them? This has an implication on military numbers and ultimately the level of motivation within the current armed forces, all aspects which can heavily implicate the outcome of a conflict.

ReputationRep:
    That makes no sense.

I know what you are implying, however, and it's called consistency. If you treat someone like **** today, they're hardly going to be enthusiastic in regards to doing you any favours in the future.

Why should people risk their lives for people who disrespect them? This has an implication on military numbers and ultimately the level of motivation within the current armed forces, all aspects which can heavily implicate the outcome of a conflict.

It makes perfect sense. Soldiers are paid to work. They risk their lives for money as well as a false sense of "saving the country". saving it from what? The only good it has done us is a **** load of money, a lot of lives, and a terrorist attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    You're generalising here a bit. Not all Brits and Americans are the same.
    Of course i am generalising, but so is this thread. Not all British people disrespect the soldiers.

ReputationRep:
    It makes perfect sense. Soldiers are paid to work. They risk their lives for money as well as a false sense of "saving the country". saving it from what? The only good it has done us is a **** load of money, a lot of lives, and a terrorist attack.
    You worded it incorrectly, that's why it didn't make sense.

So, what do you propose, exactly? Abolish the armed forces?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think many of those people who 'disrespect' soldiers understand that there's more to being in the forces than just going to war and killing people. They also help out a lot of poorer countries, going there to create infrastructure or hand out aid, which in my eyes is very respectable.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I am American. I respect soldiers as much as I expect anyone else I don't know. I see no reason to extend any extra respect to someone because they have volunteered to kill or be killed.

ReputationRep:
    Most of the British population support the Forces, it's just the minority that don't tend to be very vocal about it. I've had people spit at me, call me rather offensive names, and behave very rudely, but I've also had others thank me, shake my hand, wish me well or just happily chat away to me. You have to take the rough with the smooth, and ignore the ignorant throbbers. Heh, if you can't take a joke, you shouldn't have joined!

War is a terrible, nasty and horrible thing, but the alternative is worse. A very wise man said it far better than I could, see my sig for the exact quote.

(Original post by King Pieb)
    People do care, but at the same time, for what most of the population thinks is a pointless war, its very hard to back the soldiers who are fighting it.
    Err, no it's not. It's quite easy in fact!

ReputationRep:
    You worded it incorrectly, that's why it didn't make sense.

So, what do you propose, exactly? Abolish the armed forces?

No, i want the armed forces to do what the tax payers want. We did not want to attack Afghanistan or Iraq and we want our troops out of Afghanistan.

I also say it is stupid to ask for respect if it hasn't been earnt.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.